Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Partscaster advice

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by toogoodd, Oct 12, 2017.

1. toogoodd

toogoodd Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2007
    korea
    Hello, fellow TDPRIs. I was able to get a hold of a Musikraft neck that is roasted bird's eye maple with a Coney Island rosewood fretboard. Love how it feels in my hand and has sparked me to go for a Telecaster/Partscaster project. I have a pair of Bare Knuckle 50s flat pickups, so all I need are a body, electronics, and hardwares. My biggest concern is finding a body...

I really wanted a Guitar Mill Tele body, but it'll take 10-12 weeks in complete, and I've read somewhere here that the routes are a bit off. Second, I looked at Rosser's Pine Tele body. I can get a hold of this for almost $100 cheaper than a Guitar Mill body and won't have to wait. Only problem, not much information about it. Really tempting though.

I think most here will recommend me MJT, Warmoth, Allparts, etc. But I don't know why, I just find the fact that the body is cut by the Luthier himself (Mario from Guitar Mill, Michael from Rosser) is somewhat more magical? Not sure how to word it... Anyways, I think you guys get my idea :p Anyways, any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    MJT for me, but many acceptable bodies out there. Guitar mill usually has some bodies in there buy it now section, no waiting.

Misty Mountain likes this.

3. toogoodd

toogoodd Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2007
    korea
    Yeah, a few weeks, they had a blonde one I wanted, but sold out before I can buy it... :( I check their buy it now section every day since then lol

4. guitar0621

guitar0621 TDPRI Member

May 30, 2017
    USA
    If you don't want to wait MJT on ebay is probably your best bet. Guitar Mill has a small selection of finished bodies every so often.

There's also Reverb and ebay for new/used bodies by most parts makers. The Gear Page sales forums might also be worth looking at.

5. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    I used a guitarmill body. They have all their already made bodies on Reverb. They might need some sanding to get some imperfections out. I feel these should be ready to finish for the price but mine wasn't. Maybe that's normal though. The control cavity wasn't long enough. I had to extend it a bit. Musikraft neck fit perfectly but the neck pocket on the body is slightly larger than heel of neck so it sticks out a hair showing part of my unfinished pocket. The neck went in snug though and the holes lined up fine.

Ricky D. likes this.

6. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    I dunno....to me if it's to spec it's fine. If it's hand cut and off a PG won't look right. Some don't anyways, just depends on what ya get from experience.

I get Alder ones mainly and finish them, then sell them on ebay. I'm getting 3 in Monday, 1 will be Off- white and one other Copper Metallic. All nitro with clear wet sanded to a glass finish. :)

Examples below.

Attached Files:

gobi_grey likes this.

7. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Are you looking for a nitro finish? Is the lead time on the Guitar Mill body simply lacquer curing time? If you want lacquer, and want to spec the color, then it takes as long as it takes, no matter who you get it from.

8. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    It also depends on how backed up some one is. Like MJT has a decent wait time, smaller guys may not.

I do understand it takes time to cure, but I can have a body done in 5 days, ready to ship usually. Yes, it will still be "soft'ish", and will take a month or so to cure, but I go thin on my clear, and it's not as long as you might think. I also think Minwax cures faster, but it's personal preference.

9. toogoodd

toogoodd Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2007
    korea
    Thanks for the info, Gobi. Can I see a picture of the part that sticks out? Not too sure what you mean by that. :)

10. toogoodd

toogoodd Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2007
    korea
    Yeah, Mossie. That's what I thought too. My hunt for a 100% lacquer body will come at a price and time. But I do think it will be worth it. I did get an offer for a loaded 58 Fender Reissue body, but I've read in this forum and other places that Fender still uses a poly undercoat which I hate. :p

11. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    Wish I woulda used a little less painter's tape on the neck pocket. Wouldn't be quite as noticeable.
    20171014_235306.jpg

12. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2013
    Southern Missouri
    Well that sounds all nice and all, but can you quantify that ..uhh.., belief, in any shape or form?

Some things imo, just are not that big a deal, and I do very much understand hand made craftsmanship..
    I know a builder, like say Ron Kirn, hand cuts and shapes his bodies and I would be super stoked to be an owner of one of his works of art.. As I said I appreciate craftsmanship, attention to detail ..
    However, at this time, I see little actual advantage in the difference between a Quality CNC milled body and a Quality hand cut one.. Each piece of wood is going to be different and bring it own characteristics to the table. I can't say the wood will know the difference of being cut by a human or a machine..
    Open to input on this for sure..

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    moosie and Steve Holt like this.

13. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Or for the price of the body you could buy yourself a nice router, print up a blueprint off Tele Home Depot, make yourself some routing templates and make the body for yourself, out of whatever kind of wood you want, and finished however you want. Then when you're done with that, you're all set up to make a couple-three dozen more!

Jackadder, Mike Simpson and moosie like this.

14. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2016
    Washington

15. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2006
    Lindenhurst, IL
    I'd spray some color into a plastic disposable dish and use a Q-Tip to dab it onto the neck pocket to cover that up. Pf course, remove the neck first.

EDIT: I've also used a number of Guitar Mill bodies and never had a problem.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017

16. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    I really have to question your preference for a Guitar Mill body given their apparent poor workmanship. For me, inaccurate routes and poor sanding are just not acceptable regardless of price.

FWIW, the body I got from USACG was very accurate and finish sanded.

Tommyd55 likes this.

17. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    I tried to leave my opinion out and just give a review. I have no idea what the norm is since that's the only body I've purchased. I certainly don't have a preference but if I were to do it again I would choose another company. Another thing I noticed, the body is shorter than a real tele body which makes the whole guitar sit lower in the stand than my other teles. That bugs me.

18. toogoodd

toogoodd Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2007
    korea
    Wow? Really?? Can I know when you purchased the body?

19. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    I purchased the body in ealry April.

20. toogoodd

toogoodd Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2007
    korea
    Thanks for letting me know. I've read others having problems too. Which one is it in your profile picture?? :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.