Parlor Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by revelation2012, Nov 14, 2011.

1. revelation2012

revelation2012 Tele-Meister

Hi all. I am looking for a small bodied parlor type guitar. I have been pining for one of these for a while and with Christmas comin' I wanted to get this in the wifes radar.

I don't want to spend a tone of cash as I can't aford a Gibson Blues King EL-00 type guitar. I was looking at the Epi EL-00 http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic/EL-00.aspx

[​IMG]

Also as well as the Loar LH-200. http://www.theloar.com/LH-200.html

[​IMG]

Then there is a Wahsburn Parlor. But I am not sure about the sharp v neck on that guitar. Anyone played this and know if it is an issue? Also it looks like the new lower model does not have the darker finish anymore like its more expensive brothers any more judging from the Wahsburn site which kinda kills the look. http://www.washburn.com/acoustics/vintage-series/

[​IMG]

Any suggestions or alternatives would be helpful. I can't go above $500 range so keep that in mind. Thanks.

2. Cunningham26

Cunningham26 Tele-Meister

I've heard really great things about the epi 00 over on the epiphone forum. I actually was on the hunt for a super-cheap acoustic for my sister who wants to learn, and came across this bad boy http://www.jayturser.com/products/acoustics/jta-414q.php

[​IMG]

...and really liked the feel and sound of it. I played it side by side with baby taylors and a mini yamaha and overall it had the best dynamic and the neck was like a baseball bat despite the other features being smaller. pretty neat guitar for $100 out the door

also check out this guy's inventory- he restores old parlors exclusively and is really reasonable with the rates- http://www.vintageparlorguitars.com/current.html

3. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

those all look lovely....you want sound great as well..Taylor GS Mini..I've owned a few parlors but the mini is the winner for sure ...

[​IMG]...

Mini with my Baby...I've got a Martin LX1 as well and it too pales by comparison

4. southwoodgtars

southwoodgtars Tele-Holic

I just read a review about a recording king that was in the $300 range that the reviewer had nothing bad to say about. I think it was in guitar world or premier guitar. I can't remember... I have a guild gad30 that I love! It's not exactly a parlor but, it's close. Orchestra size maybe.

5. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

There is a beautiful Simon & Patrick parlor guitar at the local shop here. Plays and sounds great.

6. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

7. PrivateIron

PrivateIron Tele-Meister

I've recently picked up an Art and Lutherie Ami, it's a lovely little guitar - I struggle to put it down!

[​IMG]

I'd definitely say they are worth having a look at if you can.

8. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

Art&Lutherie "Ami".....made in Canada....good quality,good wood,good value,good fun.
    Parlours every home should have one.

9. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

The key with lower-priced acoustics like the Epi is play before you buy. I bought one sight unseen from MF and it had a pretty bad case of body hump. It took a LOT of work to get it decently playable. In retrospect, I should have sent it back.

10. Skrik

Skrik Tele-Holic

Take care, though: some models have solid tops, some have laminated tops. (The solid tops sound very sweet. I haven't tried the laminated tops.)

11. SirJackdeFuzz

12. longbow

longbow Tele-Holic

Look at the Hohner Essential series Parlor. Gets rave reviews, like 260 with free shipping off the bay. Research them and I think you'll find they stack up to alot other way more expensive guitars out there. thanks

13. SirJackdeFuzz

Does anyone agree with me, whem i say, the parlour must have ladder bracing if you want a period-correct-sounding guitar from the 1920's ?

14. telepathetic

telepathetic Tele-Afflicted

I have played the Washburn with the weird V neck. As painfully awkward as it looks, it actually plays quite nicely. I really liked it.

The closest thing to parlor size guitars that I own are these 4 Gretsch Americana models. I bought them as "closeout" items for $99.99 each.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are long gone, but you'll see them occasionally on eBay for about $100. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...w=gretsch+americana&_sacat=See-All-Categories

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

The Ami (Art & Lutherie) is a best bet at about $250-$270 with a gig bag. Made in Canada. Available in a number of finishes. It's a sweet little guitar. I've played many of them and they're very nice. Nice little fingerstyle or strumming guitar.

I have two parlors. One is a Larrivee P03 and the other is a Seagull Grand. The Seagull Grand is made by the the Godin/Art & Lutherie/Seagull family but the grand costs about $400 new. It has a solid cedar top and laminated cherry sides and backs. I got this guitar used after finding it with the Guitar Center used gear finder (on their website). This was in a store in Texas and it was tagged at $180. The case is a very nice semi rigid parlor case that I got from Elderly for $59. It's about as nice of a parlor/travel rig as you could expect for $239. It has a 1-3/4" nut.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Larrivee P03 is in the middle here (FWIW)......

[​IMG]

16. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've played one of those and dig the sharp V neck. Very old-timey and cool to play, with a nice wide nut, but a bit rough on the thumb playing barre chords. I liked the sound of the one I played and overall look and vibe, but I've heard that some of them have problems with the bridge lifting. Play one before buying, so you can decide if you like the neck. I will get one eventually.

[​IMG]

17. revelation2012

revelation2012 Tele-Meister

Lots to consider here. Even though the Taylor Mini is a little more money will I be glad I did it 6 months down the road?

BTW is the scale reduced on the Taylor GS mini?

18. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Taylor Mini is a great little guitar. 23 1/2" scale, but more like a scaled-down OM than a parlor guitar. Very nice soft V neck too.

19. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

I have a Recording King Parlour. It has a deep V neck, probably quite similar to the Washburn. I was surprised how quickly I got used to it, I find it quite comfortable now.

It's a good guitar for the money.

I had a AMI parlour briefly (an eBay buy that I returned because it had undisclosed damage). It was a nice guitar, lacking a little refinement but fun to play. I've been meaning to get another.

20. gr81dorn

gr81dorn Tele-Meister

I have played or owned almost everything mentioned in this thread cuz i LOVE parlour style guitars. I currently own and play a Republic every day. It's my favorite little guitar, the build quality is far superior to everything else I've owned in this category and is SUPER cheap for what it's worth, in my opinion

http://republicguitars.com/guitarsotherproducts.html SCROLL WAY DOWN!

[​IMG]
    The photos do it NO JUSTICE. It has pearloid binding all the way around, it's SOLID SPRUCE top and rosewood back and sides. It's absolutely gorgeous. It's a true parlor in size and scale, it sounds phenomenal and comes with a really high quality hardshell case.

The company makes some of the best guitars I've ever played and as soon as I saw this little guy, I just had to have it and I play it almost every day.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.