Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pao Ferro neck on 1973 Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Nobster, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Nobster

Nobster TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    France
    I have a Tele that I bought used around 1976 in my local guitar shop - the serial no dates its a '73 which seems right. It had had very little use, almost new condition. It was as far as I know not modified in anyway, just a plain blonde standard tele with a white pickguard and what I've always thought was a light rosewood fretboard on a thin, skunk striped neck.

I've used the same guitar for 30+ years and love it dearly. Unfortunately in my youth as a young punk rocker in the UK I took to it with sandpaper, paint can and soldering iron and did some silly things, as you do - so now it's blue, beat up, and the original electronics are long gone.

A few years ago I took to for a refret to a very reputable luthier, a guy who makes beautiful intruments and also does excellent repair work. He seems to know his stuff about wood. Anyway, he said to me "Oh, that's unusual, it's got a Pao Ferro fretboard". I was very surprised, though I'd always known that my tele had a much lighter, almost "pink" tinged fretboard than all the others I saw, I just thought it was lighter colour rosewood.

He said that it's possible that the factory were short of rosewood boards on the day mine was made and it just got Pao Ferro instead.

Does this sound likely? anyone else got one?

2. japasul

japasul Tele-Meister

May 16, 2007
    Porto Alegre - Brazil
    You should post a pic of it.

There are two common types of rosewood used on guitars: Indian and Brazilian. The Indian rosewood is the one they use on Fender guitars, and is dark and uniform. Heres a pic:
    [​IMG]

The Brazilian Rosewood is of a brighter shade and more figured. IT IS VERY DIFFERENT FROM THE INDIAN ROSEWOOD! Heres a pic of the Brazilian Rosewood (or on its original brazilian term, Jacarandá-da-Bahia):
    [​IMG]

Pau Ferro, also natural from Brazil, is brighter than Br. Rw. and about the same density. It does have kind of a "pink" tint to it more visible on the summer-rings:
    [​IMG]

Lets see a pic then we can know better!

Timewise or historywise, I cant tell about Fender using either type of wood.

Cheers, hope I helped!
    André Ripoll

3. Nobster

Sep 12, 2007
    France
    Thanks for the quick reply and the pics!

Hmm.. it certainly doesn't look at all like the top pic and does look more like the bottom one. I'll try and get some pics of it up. Getting a decent representation of colour with my little camera and domestic lighting may be tricky! I'll see if I can get a pic of it along with other "known" rosewood necks for comparison.

Thanks again

4. japasul

japasul Tele-Meister

May 16, 2007
    Porto Alegre - Brazil
    No problem!

Just keep in mind that these are all hot-tropical or equatorial woods, so they can vary a lot on grain, colour and density due to rainfall and temperature in different places.

On my build, right now, I'm using Br. Rw., and it doesnt look like the one on the picture because it was grown on a colder climate, more to the south of Brazil:

Tele from Scratch

Cheers!
    André Ripoll

5. Nobster

Sep 12, 2007
    France
    Ok here are some pics of the fretboards:

Tele Fretboards

I used my partscaster as a comparison which has a standard Mighty Mite rosewood fretboard.

edit: you can zoom right in very close on those pics if you click on them and then use the little magnifier icon

6. Lostheart

Lostheart Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2005
    Germany

Interesting...I always thought that Brazillian rosewood is darker than Indian rosewood?!?!

7. japasul

japasul Tele-Meister

May 16, 2007
    Porto Alegre - Brazil
    Not typically.

The Indian Rosewood seems to be more consistent as to which color you get, while the Jacarandá tends to have some parts that are very bright. On my piece, there was a part that was almost white! But this also occurs the other way, so you COULD get a Br.Rw. that is darker than a piece of I.Rw..

I dont know, perhaps Fender selects their I. Rw. to get the darkest ones, but Jacaranda is usually not that dark and is not that consistent (has a greater contrast on its grain).

Cheers,
    André Ripoll

8. japasul

japasul Tele-Meister

May 16, 2007
    Porto Alegre - Brazil
    Hmmmm

It is DEFINETLY not Indian Rosewood!

hee hee

To me, it looks a lot like Pau Ferro, although the rings seem too wide (the pau-ferro is a very straight and tall tree, so its growth occurs mostly on its height and not on its width/diameter).

On the other hand, it still has some of the colors of Brazilian Rosewood, but the lines seem to straight to me (the Jacarandá grows more tortuously - if that word even exists in english!).

Its possible that this is neither of these three types! I guess someone like Fuzzy should throw a light on this and tell us what were the woods Fender had access to back then...

Is it a MIA, MIM...?

Cheers
    André Ripoll

9. Nobster

Sep 12, 2007
    France

MIA, remember this is a 1973, when all telecasters were MIA :)

10. Nobster

Sep 12, 2007
    France
    Hmm.. I'll try inlining the images as it seems thats what's usually done on this forum, sorry if I get this wrong as I'm brand new here:

Here's the close up of the end of the neck

[​IMG]

The other end!
    [​IMG]

The 70's headstock and logo will be familiar to all you Tele experts!

[​IMG]

A pretty good close up:

[​IMG]

11. Nobster

Sep 12, 2007
    France
    The old girl alongside her stand-in, a Partscaster with Mighty Mite rosewood neck:

[​IMG]

More of the sisters:

[​IMG]

Here you can see a real difference in colour between the two fretboards:

[​IMG]

12. japasul

japasul Tele-Meister

May 16, 2007
    Porto Alegre - Brazil
    Remember I don't know crap about the Tele history!

Sorry fot that!

hee hee!

Cheers
    André Ripoll

13. Nobster

Sep 12, 2007
    France
    No reason to apologise! André, you've already given out a lot of great info about Rosewood(s) and even if your Tele history isn't perfect ;) , after reading your "build a Tele from scratch" thread I think you're more of a Telecaster expert than most of us ever will be.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.