Pairing a vintage wrhb with what bridge?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by esteban_miguel, May 25, 2019.

1. esteban_miguel

esteban_miguel TDPRI Member

i recently purchased at 2012 AVRI 72 telecaster custom. The guitar is nice but the neck pickup is pretty dull. I have a vintage wrhb and I like to install it with 1 meg pots. Any recommendations on a bridge pickup to pair it with? Thanks!

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'd go 500k pots personally, I built my friend a Tele Custom with a real WRHB and 52ri pickup. We ended up with a SD Hotrails to match it.

283152-ae9146f533e851c46f943ad764d6ad50.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  3. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Japanese TC-72 with a vintage WRHB and a Original Vintage bridge pickup. I find it to be pretty balanced, but I do have the Neck pickup dropped a little lower than what I understand to be the ideal height for these. You might be able to get a little more beef out of a Nocaster or Broadcaster to be more balanced. I really like the character of the OV on its own though, so I’m satisfied with this combo.

Telenator has closed up, but he used to sell a special taper pot for the WRHB. I have them in mine - I’ll search through my email and see if I can get a part number.

puddin likes this.
  4. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

hey man, do you think 3 wrhb's would sound good, in a strat setting. i have 3 vintage ones.

dan1952 likes this.
  5. jondanger

6. esteban_miguel

esteban_miguel TDPRI Member

jondanger likes this.
  7. jondanger

I tend to think three pickups in general is excessive. Really, most people even only use the Strat middle in the quack positions - although I kind of do like it on its own. I might also be a little concerned about all those magnets causing a lot of string pull and killing your sustain.

You’ve had those WRHBs for a while. It would be pretty fun to just get a Mexican 72 Thinline reissue and pop them in there to see how they sound. I have found those to be pretty consistent guitars.

Three! That’s truly an embarrassment of riches!

hrstrat57 and Marquee Moon like this.
  8. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Where the heck do y'all get all these real WRHBs? Seems like you have to sacrifice a virgin and half year's pay to a) find a real one and b) afford the sucker.

jondanger likes this.
  9. jondanger

Mine is a “never sell” guitar. It’s kinda beat up so I know I’d never get what it’s worth!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Good luck with the project. Sounds like you’re doing it right.

Zepfan and Marquee Moon like this.
  10. jondanger

I found a guy selling two on Craigslist for $400 as a set. He had them in a vintage Japanese SG copy. I got in the car immediately and went to scoop them up. I only needed one for the Tele Custom, so I sold one for $400 and kept the other for my guitar. Broke even.

11. Marquee Moon

man, you have no idea. I've had these for like 6 or 7 years. I'll have to try that.

12. Marquee Moon

i got mine on ebay about 7 years ago.

13. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

That would leave nowhere to pick.

14. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

So the virgin + paycheck sacrifice is the only way to do it. Man, I dunno if I can stomach that pricetag.

I've heard a few makers like The Creamery make some really good to-spec repros, curious how much experience folks around here have with those. Because the new "WRHBs" the big F is putting out are pretty underwhelming.

15. Dacious

The only problem with them is they aren't potted, they tend to squeal a lot with gain.

16. Marquee Moon

potted
    ?

17. Dacious

When pickups are wound it's usual to dip them in boiling-hot candle/beeswax. Stops them microphonically squealing - feedback causing the windings to oscillate/vibrate causing more feedback. This process is known as wax-potting, they do it to transformers, too.

Bigger coils like Strat and Tele were all wax potted (sometimes not well in CBS era). Original PAFs and WRHB were not because they were tighter coils of fine wire on smaller bobbins.

But when they were invented, there were no real high-gain pedals or amps. 70s T-tops were potted in epoxy as are some brands like EMGs. 57 PAFs aren't.

My friend's Custom WRHB squeals when he hits high gain. Through a straight Fender or Marshall it's fine.

You can easily fix it - my MIM Thinline bridge started squealing after 15 years because the wax breaks down - 30 minutes suspended in molten wax, all good. You may notice a slight change in tone, but no more squeal.

IMG_20190405_230811.jpg

Paraffin wax with a couple of candles melted for beeswax. Keep the wax in the pot around 140-150F with boiling water, suspend pickup so not touching pot 20 minutes or until air bubbles stop coming out of the bobbin. Wipe excess wax off before it cools, jobs good.

I can now stand on my highest gain pedal with expression pedal floored, and the amp will start feeding 'wooooooooo' but no horrible squeal.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Marquee Moon likes this.
  18. Marquee Moon

do you think they could handle a cranked deluxe reverb?

19. Dacious

Yes no problem. His is fine through his cranked JTM 45 even with a clean boost. But it squeals with something like a SD1 or Metalzone. Hi gain through something like a JCM900 or DSL would be iffy.

Marquee Moon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.