Painting stand ????

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by tttman, Mar 29, 2009.

1. tttman

tttman TDPRI Member

I built a painting stand so I can rotate the body while I paint. It has what amounts to a neck pointing out from it. How are you guys attaching the body to whatever holds it on your stand?

2. PITT

PITT Tele-Meister

This is clamped to a table using 2 adjustable clamps. I was using spray cans so I would spray, rotate, spray, rotate. Then let sit to dry. Good luck on the project!

[​IMG]

3. DILLIGAF?

DILLIGAF? Tele-Meister

I hang the body vertically with a hook going in from the front of the neck pocket holes. To paint horizontally (sides of the body) I use blocks of wood with dowels drilled into them and insert the other end of the dowels into the pickup cavities. I then use a lazy susan if need be to rotate as I'm painting.

4. mudbean

mudbean Friend of Leo's

I just built mine last weekend, based on the design provided by one of our members here at TDPRI:

[​IMG]

Base: two pieces MDF glued & screwed, 1 inch threaded pipe flange
    Stand: 48 x 1 inch threaded pipe, 1 inch threaded pipe Tee
    Guitar Holder: 1 inch dowel, rasped to flat along one end

Kitty Litter counterweight - probably not needed, the base is very stable.

[​IMG]

I also added 6 inch extension pipes horizontally from the pipe Tee, so I can hold two bodies at a time, one on each side.

mud

5. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post

Now that is really nice. Guess what I'm building this weekend? ;)

6. mudbean

mudbean Friend of Leo's

Thanks, JK! The thread here was fairly recent, lots of guys showing their hanging methods ... can't recall whose design this was, but I thought it was a great one, too. Twenty bux worth of pipe & parts from the hardware store + five minutes assy time. Voila!

mud

7. mudbean

mudbean Friend of Leo's

You said it - the handle acts as a faux neck. Just screw it into the neck pocket. I drilled small holes near the center line, well away from where the neck screw holes are, and secured my painting handle to the body with two #6 wood screws.

[​IMG]

I also undercut the handle a little where it crosses the edge of the neck pocket, to avoid finish build-up at that area.

mud

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  8. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mud-
    I had been looking for some sort of option for hanging a body to spray and came across this thread at the end of the day. Stopped by Lowes and $22 later, I have me a stand! I got a 12" high pipe (rather than a 48" pipe) and will bolt the threaded pipe flange to a 12" length of 2x4 that I plan on clamping to my foldable workbench. That way the guitar will be at the perfect height for painting and I can spin it easily to get the sides & back of the body. This will work great for necks too.

The 6" pipe extensions on either side of the tee hold a 1" dowel very securely without worry of the dowel bending. I got a 36" length 1" oak dowel. This should allow me to keep the body far enough away from the work table so that it doesn't get too much overspray all over it.

I don't have any other guitar builds planned other than the one I'm in the middle of, but I'm sure I'll be building and/or painting more bodies dow the road-- this will make things much easier!

9. mudbean

mudbean Friend of Leo's

10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A buddy has a very similar stand. He used an old, steel car wheel for the base.
    Heavy and stable.
    No need for kitty litter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.