Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Painting Metallics through a rattle can?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Jillo, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Baconaire

Baconaire NEW MEMBER!

May 21, 2016
    Cambridge

Wow. That looks sensational. I am planning the same route on my Tele Deluxe: Duplicolor Light Blue Metallic and Minwax Lacquer gloss clear. I have a gun but am using rattle cans because I want to use lacquer and not spend a lot on paint. I'll use the gun with the clear. What did you use as primer or sealer?

I was thinking of spraying Minwax Lacquer as a 'sealer', sand that smooth and then color, finish with more Minwax Lacquer. I was considering this because while I had always planned to paint the body, its actually very nice wood grain naturally and I may choose to only paint the front and leave the back natural, or some variation.

PixMix likes this.

2. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Aug 30, 2008
    MI
    That particular one is spray painted over the existing finish. I wanted to strip the finish, but noticed that it was really thin. Otherwise I like to use Behlen sanding sealer, and then flake shellac over the sealer.

[​IMG]

3. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2013
    Southern Missouri
    Awesome thread here.. Very informative .. Some really good work shown...

Using a Spitfire Tort on a rattle canned body.. Gotta like that...

Great results all..
    I have a Warmoth La Cabronita Tele body sitting around doing nothing... This thread is giving me an itch..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.