Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Painting Metallics through a rattle can?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Jillo, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Jillo

Jillo TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hey guys! I'm going to start prepping my latest Telecaster project for paint tomorrow, and I'm wondering how hard it to paint metallic paints through rattle cans?

I'm shooting for the color
    [​IMG]

I assume its Ice Metallic Blue.
    I have painted a few guitars, always black though.. with acceptable results.

I've done my own searching around and I've gotten mixed opinions, a lot naysayers that don't like the idea of using rattlecans at all.
    I have no way of getting a spray gun so I'm trying to go with what I have ;p
    Any recommendations?
    Thanks as always!

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I've done it; came out fine. I used rattlecan automotive acrylic.

After getting the color coats on, I wanted to sand it flat, but they say you really can't sand metallic (so I didn't try it). Instead, I sprayed a can of clear acrylic from the same manufacturer over the top, and sanded THAT flat. Then I let it dry really thoroughly (like a whole summer), and finished it with 2-pak urethane, so it has a tough candy-coating.

Sandhill69 and Flakey like this.

3. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just finished a body using rattle can metallic silver.... too easy...

as Jupiter says don't sand it, just load clear over the top to get a finish....

rattle cans only allow a fine metallic through the nozzle... you need spray gear for more chunky flake jobs....

Mustang silver1.jpg

Sandhill69 likes this.

4. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    That's looking like it's gonna be sweet, trev!

trev333 likes this.

5. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's already in the hands of the gr4 guitar kid in my school band... gave it to him last week....:D

Valstang strung up1.jpg

TigerG, tery, teletimetx and 3 others like this.

6. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    I have nothing to add to the conversation, but I'm planning

Did you rub it out after the 2-pak, and if so, how many coats did you use?

7. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yeah, I wet-sanded, buffed, polished.

Don't know how many coats it was, but I think I used up 2 cans of it (and that stuff's kinda spendy: 25-30 bucks a can over here!).

Mr Green Genes likes this.

8. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    You're a good man, trev!

Mr Green Genes likes this.

9. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    Spray last coats "dry" from different angles -sort of let the material settle onto the body rather than blasting it down

bender66 and Flakey like this.

10. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    Hear Hear!

11. Jillo

Jillo TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks for all the replies guys!
    I'll try to let you know how my progress goes... but I'm wary of the outcome

12. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    Please do- I'm planning on doing the same thing (IBM Strat) in a few weeks, and I've never done anything in metallic before, so I'm a bit wary myself.

Good luck!

13. Moab

Moab TDPRI Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Pleasant Grove, Utah
    I have painted over 400 guitars with a spray gun. I have only painted one guitar with rattle cans and that was a EVH stripped body just like Eddie did it in the old day's. Could I paint a guitar with metallic paint in rattle cans? Yes. I do not know what type of paint you plan on using.

My local auto body paint supply will mix up any car color paint code off of an automobile and put it into rattle cans for me here. However they will only mix up a single stage paint in rattle cans. Single stage is semi glossy, but will not be anywhere near as glossy as a base coat sprayed first then a clear coat sprayed over the base coat. My local auto body supply will not mix base coat in rattle cans.

If you spray a guitar with metallic paint in a rattle can. My advice is shake the spray can allot before using it and allot while painting to keep the metallic particles mixed up in the paint while spraying. A big problem with rattle cans of Rust-Oleum or Krylon store bought paint is going from one rattle can to the next can be different shades of paint that will not match exactly. If I was using Rust-Oleum or Krylon I would use the last Metallic rattle can to completely cover the guitar. Wait ten to fifteen minutes for the metallic paint to tack up and then I would spray the guitar with about six rattle can clear coats or more of the same type of paint as your metallic paint(more if you are less experienced because you can sand through the clear coat) if you are going to wet sand and buff it out later. Wait a minimum of 30 days for the finish to shrink up and all of the thinner to evaporate out of the finish before wet sanding. If you get in a hurry with finishing a guitar body you will see a finish shrink back into the grain of the wood which is a sign that the job was rushed too fast. The big brand guitar makers use UV curing to speed the finish curing process up, but most people do not have access to that at home.

Modern automotive finishes are far harder to use and get good results with using a base coat clear coat paint system than nitro lacquer on a guitar. If you wet sand through the clear coat on a modern base coat clear coat automotive paint then you have to spray clear coat over the complete auto panel or the complete guitar body because these modern finishes do not blend into each like nitro lacquer does.

There is a reason why guitar builders hate finishing.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017

14. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    There is a reason why guitar builders hate finishing.

Man, I heard THAT! Lol

15. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    I've used the little touchup spray cans from the auto supply store with good results, but it will take a few cans. You will get different results depending on how heavy you lay on the paint, all the while wondering how the little flakes are laying down. My advice would be to lay it down lightly with each coat for the reason that runs and sags and drips are very hard to deal with. If you need to sand anything it will cut across the flakes and you get a very strange appearance that needs to be covered over again with the next coat.

Also, keep a board handy for test panels as you go, and make sure that the clearcoat is compatible and you're putting it down in time for the recommended recoat window for the products you're using.

Since you should plan on not sanding any of the metallic color coats, be careful to lay down a good primer base and sand that level before proceeding. Any imperfections will definitely telegraph through. Then the color coats, and only after the clear topcoats have cured would you wet sand and buff.

The Fender Custom Shop guys have mentioned that Clapton's custom colors generally had something to do with his latest favorite car, so you can do the same.

Flakey likes this.

16. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

This is the KEY !!!!

I've been doing guitar finish professionally on the side for 3 years now after people have seem my work. )I did one last year for a tdpri member) That's all I use are rattle cans since i'm doing one at a time.

The poo pooers just don't understand you need to do what tvvoodoo said. Then spray clear and sand that.

tvvoodoo likes this.

17. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. Hit her from all angles just before you do your clear.

And never, ever....sand the color. Only after many layers of clear.

tvvoodoo likes this.

18. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Aug 30, 2008
    MI
    Duplicolor makes a metallic light blue that is very similar to the one you posted. I have used very successfully duplicolor acrylic lacquer with minwax clear on top. The guitar below is done that way.

[​IMG]

heffus, TwangToInfinity and Flakey like this.

19. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Aug 30, 2008
    MI

20. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Aug 30, 2008
    MI
    A slight tinted clear would get you there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bender66 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.