Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Painting bicycle : ReRanch/blue tape ? Collision shop ? Somebody's Uncle Ray ? Or...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Jun 12, 2018.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    That seems like a fair price if they did the prep!

An expensive car paint shop will likely be expensive, and a cheap one might not have the sharpest spray techs, so they might have the same problems as a novice bike painter at home, trying to spray a really odd bunch of contours when they are used to cars.

The key to spraying a bike is to do it in maybe one minute intervals over the course of several days, and a car shop might not want to leave your color in their spray rig for that long, so they kind of need to be used to spraying in the nooks and crannies without dumping on too much because they want to finish the job in an hour.

Remembering that Mike said in his OP "I don't even care if it's not that well done (this isn't a segment where there's any resale) but just not gloppy."

By these standards and with good prep, it is very doable at home.

2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Use it as is or powder coat unless you want it to look even worse with time. If this is not some custom steel beauty just get at beating it up and wearing it and you out as fast as possible!

:)

3. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    I'm in the powder coat camp. I think around here the going rate for a frame is just under $100. Just make sure they mask the BB threads and the headtube where the headset fits in. You could always throw $30 into the wind and try it with Krylon or Duplicolor. If you don't like the results, powdercoat.

4. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    I know a place that would sandblast (or softer media) it and powder coat it for likely under $250.

5. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2010
    SE Michigan, USA
    One minute intervals over several DAYS? No thanks! Once you're set up and ready, get it done. When it comes to the color, three coats maybe ten minutes apart and you're good to go. Single stage so no clear. Wait too long between coats and you have to sand. yuck. Wait minutes, not hours.

I've had mixed results with spray cans. The last time I used Duplicolor I was pretty impressed with how it turned out though it was just a number plate on a motorcycle fairing. I've used it on guitars before and sworn I'll never use spray cans again so results seem to vary. When I worked as a bike mechanic I'd spray replacement forks with spray cans and they all turned out pretty well so... I dunno. I guess if I didn't already have the spray equipment I wouldn't invest in it just for a frame I didn't care too much about. On motorcycles I won't use spray cans simply because automotive paints stand up to gasoline so much better.

telemnemonics likes this.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Times were off the top of my head and may not have been spot on!
    I've not found spray can paint that was ready for additional coats that soon, and was focusing on more lighter coats to avoid putting runs everywhere.

I've sprayed tons of furniture in a spray booth, but no metals, so maybe it's more possible to finish a bike frame in 30 minutes with pro spray equipment?
    Is that with catalyzed paint?
    How about moving the frame between coats?
    All sprayed in the same position?

Really I was offering suggestions for the OP wanting quick & not too dirty.
    If he'd asked about a pro quality finish at home I wouldn't have posted.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.