Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Painting bicycle : ReRanch/blue tape ? Collision shop ? Somebody's Uncle Ray ? Or...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Got a $1,000+ major maker bike a month ago.

Like it. Hybrid. Not all there but I'll dial it in w/ one or two parts swaps.

I raced in the 80's but now at 54 this is strictly a semi-fast machine that is more importantly, very durable for timed rides with my wife.

Long story short : it's murdered-out and I hate it. Flat black.

That's over and done. I want orange or dakota red.

I don't even care if it's not that well done (this isn't a segment where there's any resale) but just not gloppy.

Any suggestions ?

Dbrian66 likes this.
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Way cool!
    I raced a Bianchi in the 80s.
    Ferrari Red.
    When that faded I painted it with candy red and candy blue gotten the auto parts store, silver undercoat.
    Not sure that Reranch would hold up long in the sunlight

Dbrian66 likes this.
  3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    My high $$$ Cannondale is also flat black but it was a gift from my wife years ago and she doesn't share my love for day-glo orange. Always wanted it this color.

Orange-Bikes-Factory-Tour01-810x540.jpg

Dbrian66 likes this.
  4. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Since the OP’s bike’s flat black, orange is a natural colour to offset all that black...a burnt orange metallic, something Will Ray would ride to the moon!!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Dbrian66 likes this.
  5. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2012
    Northeast again
    Are you looking for product suggestions or technique? I assume you have the wherewithal to remove all components, that being said, I'd use degreaser/wax remover on the whole thing a couple of times, give it a once over with steel wool, wash it with degreaser again. Stuff newspaper in the big holes (steerer, bottom bracket and seatpost) then carefully tape them. Personally, I'd spend a couple bucks to get throwaway bolts to put in all the other holes (water bottle mounts, derailleur mounts, etc) so you can spray them then remove the bolts and have a clean hole without masking fuss.

Rustoleum automotive enamel has a few colors and you can get a good glossy coat in one shot that should hold up fairly well to sun and weather. If you can't find a color you like, you might want to go to an auto parts store and get a can of Duplicolor, there are generally a lot of choices in rattlecans. Technically you should do a clearcoat over that stuff, but it doesn't look bad on it's own; it is just easier to get rid of the orangepeel look with clearcoat vs colorcoat in cheap rattlecans.

All that being said, my roadbike is unpainted flat black generic (Nashbar) carbon fiber frame. I thought about painting it when I got it but it seems to roll just fine as it is and that all seems like a lot of work!

6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Do you know any paint guys that will prep it & spray?

I agree re: dismantling, etc. I do it everyday in a shop. It's tedious crappy work. +1000 for the throwaway bolts or you can get some wax to stuff in there.

If you rattle it its gonna look like ass.

I like the orange idea.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I raced a white pearl Scapin, 54 cm frame in the '80s. If you are going to do it, do it right. Complete tear down (it needs it and you know it), find a pro painter with a spray booth. Shouldn't cost too much and by the time you clean, lube, true the wheels, and re-tape the bars, the frame will be back and looking awesome.

Okay, now hate me.;)

Mike Eskimo and william tele like this.
  8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Mike, get a harbor freight nine dollar top loading spray gun and whatever good paint you want, do the prep and sanding and shoot it yourself and post pics this coming weekend. Good luck.

Mike Eskimo and Obsessed like this.
  9. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2015
    ca
    please don t say murdered out, it s flat black... i come here to escape the millenials... j/k

find a good powdercoater in the local area who knows and has done a few bikes... it s essential they know how to seal the headset and bottom bracket area... might be 100 - 150 like they are around here... a good powdercoated bike looks awesome, lot of options for flake etc

good luck

bparnell57 likes this.
  10. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

It needs an automotive paint. See a car color you like, it can be matched. I’d use a single stage with hardener. Don’t use a clear coat.

11. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    We’ll need pics.

Thanks,
    Geoff

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I've painted a bunch of bikes with rattle can auto paint, and as long as you strip the parts, clean it, and rough up the old paint with 3m pad or steel wool and get it really clean with paint thinner, it's really not that hard to make it look better than you ask for.

Seems hard to get even coverage without runs because of all the contours, but it's also hard to see little imperfections for the same reason.

But great?
    After applying a great paint job, will you baby it to keep it great?
    Not me but some do.

I have a canary yellow PX10 frame in the garage I painted almost 25 years ago that still looks kinda cool.
    Bikes are like guitars in that they look cool with some wear on the finish.
    IMO!

william tele likes this.
  13. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    If you want to go all out, the sky’s the limit.
    If you are looking for a cheap DYI project, don’t be afraid to use rattle cans, they make some great paint that looks good and is very durable.
    As already pointed out, you need to have the skills to totally dismantle anything attached to the frame, if not then
    start shopping around for someone who can. You can then find a paint shop, any should be able to paint your bike frame without a sweat, it’s just finding one that wants to do it and won’t want an arm and a leg.
    Good luck,

14. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2015
    ca
    unless ya gonna do a lot of prep, i don t recommend a rattle can job on a 1K plus bike... just my opinion

a 200 dollar single speed, i m all over the mighty rattle can..

Obsessed likes this.
  15. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    My frame had matte florescent red accents which faded to pink. Got really tired of matte pink but didn't want to spend $500 for a professional paint job so I decided to rattle can it.

To be honest it was a pain, very messy, and I would not do it again. Painting something small like a fork is easy but getting even application in all the joints without over spray is difficult on the entire frame.

I ended up using 0000 steel wool on the whole thing so it's perfectly smooth and has kind of a cool look to it, sort of like raw carbon.

I think getting a nice gloss finish with a spray can would not be easy. I can do that easily on something like a guitar body, but the shape of the frame makes it difficult in my opinion.

IMG_1097.JPG

telemnemonics and Mike Eskimo like this.
  16. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2015
    ca
    nice work ladave... looks good

ladave likes this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Thanks folks.

I’m digesting...

18. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I'd second the powder coat idea. We have a place in town that's done several frames for our LBS, and it wasn't a very expensive proposition at all. <$150 if I remember correctly.

bparnell57 and ozcal like this.
  19. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    I’ve restored some old steel-frame bikes using spray can paint with great results. Thoroughly cleaning and degreasing the frame is necessary for a good job. Thin (very thin) coats of spray lacquer are how you start, then slightly thicker costs, spraying evenly. If you are anal, you can sand between coats. Put on your decals (if you want any), and add two or three costs of clear lacquer. Enamel is harder to apply, and does not give as nice a shine. A relative beginner can get really good results with spray lacquer, just make sure you put it on in a dry place, if it’s too humid, it will dry hazy.

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Dec 28, 2007
    Wimauma Florida
    There's no way a spray can job will ever compare to a pro paint job or a powder coat.

Longevity, resistance to the elements and scratch and ding resistance with a pro job is light years ahead of anything out of a can.

Buy once, cry once.

ETA: I'd like to see some pics of rattle can jobs after a year of weekly 10 mile+ road trips.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.