Page vs Bonham

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I mean I can't just take for granted that a reporter/ interviewer, journalist, actor or rock star is being truthful in what they are reporting on, saying or writing. It's unfortunate that this is just part and parcel of the Media industry. While many in the media may take their jobs seriously often their employers expect that they will "get creative" rather than state facts because they figure that it will generate more income for them. People like that in real life relationships are despicable and generally alienated or avoided yet it's widely accepted from the Media.
    I agree, JPJ seems the most real and coolest personality in Zeppelin.

swany and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Moon died in 1978, I believe it was an overdose of whatever medication his doctor had him on to wean him off alcohol.

3-Chord-Genius, Zepfan and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

Please don't drink the "fake news" koolaid. It's not fake news when there are documented facts and video.

beyer160, Artunes, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  4. Chunkocaster

I noticed the steady decline in accurate reporting decades ago, long before the Koolaid became available. I like to get facts from the news, interviews etc and I like to be entertained when watching TV or movies rather than be deceived or manipulated for profit. If a media personality, celebrity etc starts making stories up I loose all interest in what they have to say or offer. As for the other stuff there are no good options available. Someone needs to reinvent the wheel as far as that goes.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  5. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

If I hear Going To California one more time...

Torren61 and Chunkocaster like this.
  6. Chunkocaster

I love that song. :)

awasson, Torren61 and 1955 like this.
  7. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Hell no, at 16 with adolescence fired up at 100% the last thing any red blooded male would do is run away!! IMO :)

I hope this doesn't stuff up his relationship with Page and/or his ability to play his Led Zep shows. I went a few months ago and LOVED it.

re the Page being good or not thing..what a load of crap. Page built the band, produced the band, wrote most of the songs (stole, borrowed, plagiarized and came up with stunning originals).

Anyone who can pick one part of his range of abilities/talents out and compare them to someone else, has completely lost the plot IMO.

The musicians were ALL part of the greater than the sum of their parts that was LZ (like other great bands) take one out and the rest aren't as good. Proven when they agreed they couldn't really go on without Bonham.

Typical misplaced musician jealousy. Why can't sane sensible people appreciate someones talents with having to rip apart, pull down? Seems to be very prevalent with musician types (or perhaps these people are more critics than musicians?).

8. Chunkocaster

Zeppelin made some killer studio albums. Some of the best ever imo. I have never been much of a fan of Pages live stuff but thankfully there are still those studio albums to enjoy his playing on. It's a shame Jason didn't get a steady band together and have the same success his father had releasing their own songs.
    If he's enjoying playing Zeppelin covers just as much that's fine too.
    It would be hard to do anything else without being compared to Zeppelin anyway.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    8barlouie and Torren61 like this.
  9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

You're right. I was remembering that 3 Rockers died that year(1980) and had Moon mixed up with someone else. Can't remember who the 3rd one was. No pun intended.

10. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

He and Bonham were clear eyed and on fire this night. I love Bonham yelling out, "OK let's go!" at the beginning. I was at the Baltimore concert of this tour in '73 and they opened the same way. My friends, it doesn't get any better than this.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  11. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

Waaaay back in my school days, I remember our English teacher pointing us to a poem about a rose.
    The closing lines were something like this:

And because he could not copy its beauty,
    He closed his hands and crushed it.

I wish I could remember the title. An allegorical lesson about life that even a dim 14-year-old could understand.

awasson likes this.
  12. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Perfect example. Thank you :)

13. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Saying that Bonham is a better drummer than Page is as a guitar players doesn't make me jealous. It makes me objective.
    Your blind dismissive fanboyness of Page makes you subjective.

Objective > subjective.

14. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

15. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

As a drummer and Guitar player I can assure you I appreciate both their gifts and capabilities. Fan boy I am not.

Neither am I a jealous/envious nor critical musician. I can appreciate them both for what they bring to the party and wouldn't for one minute even desire to question who was "better".

They were a band, they played totally different instrument and fed off each other. Who is better is not only pointless and irrelevant it's not even a logical question.

You are on a guitar forum telling people you think one of the worlds greatest guitarists of all time isn't as good as the drummer in his own band...

If anyone is a fan boy I think it is more likely you than I.

t guitar floyd, awasson and swany like this.
  16. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I was there ! Fantastic concert. A friend caught them either the night before, or the night after, when they played Philly. Page was so drunk, or on whatever, that he had to sit on the stage to play and sounded awful.

DonM likes this.
  17. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I too am both a drummer and a guitar player.

I too appreciate what they do in the scope of their own band. No fanboy here. I'm not even really a fan of Led Zep. Casual fan at best.

I too am not jealous or envious.

But I'm able to tell that Bonham is better at drums than Page is at guitar.

I'd feel the same way on a guitar forum, a swimming forum, a knitting forum, any forum.

Your rabid defensiveness of my own opinion makes you a blind blatant fanboy, and therefore, not to be taken very seriously. Agree to disagree and move on..

18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

The Truth is out there.
    But it doesn't want to be found.

19. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Totally agree.

A nonsensical comparison, IMO. You are (almost) literally comparing apples to oranges. But you are entitled to your opinion.

t guitar floyd, awasson and Jakeboy like this.
  20. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Really? I am? Thanks so much! I'm so grateful to have your permission to have my own opinion.

But no, it's not really apples to oranges.
    I think Bonham's level of proficiency on his kit is at a higher relative level than Page's proficiency at guitar. That's not saying "Jimmy Page sucked". Not even a little. And it's not saying Bonham is a better guitar player. Lol. If you try to be honest about it I think anyone could understand what I'm saying and maybe even agree. If you just think like a typical guitar player then it seems preposterous. I know it does - especially in a room full of guitar players.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.