Padauk: Your thoughts/experiences.....

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Maradona86, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Maradona86

Maradona86 Tele-Meister

I have the opportunity to purchase a guit with a a Padauk top. I know nothing about this tonewood and have yet to get to the seller. I just figured I'd ping you guys. Thanks!

2. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Holic

It is dense, hard and heavy, frequently having interlocking or alternating grain direction. Very deep, open pores. Color changes from bright orange when fresh cut to deep cherry red or brown when exposed to light and finish. Sometimes almost purple. Finish needs strong UV stabilizers to lock in the color.

Tonewood?

Solid body?

Many discussions around here about tone wood on electrics.

About 50-50 split between those who claim to hear something and those who claim it makes little to no difference.

I'd say if it is a solid body, and a thin top, it's all about the looks. And Padauk can look stunning if properly finished.

3. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Holic

As for my experience, the first guitar that I built that worked was Padauk. That was 1978 when I was in high school. I still have it. It weighs a ton, sustains forever. I recently refinished it just for fun. The orange sanding dust gets everywhere. Not that all sawdust doesn't, but the bright orange really stands out.

The pickups are early '70's Gibson T tops I bought from somebody who pulled them from a Les Paul and sold them for something like $20 for the pair. Despite my crude construction techniques back then, this thing still sounds pretty good.

4. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

That orange dust DOES get everywhere, and it is a mild skin irritant. But man the finish is unreal. I am working on a build and one thing I did wrong was not to seal the pores before I started to apply shellac to it.

Took two months to totally set up, but again worth it. Here is a link to the build http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/506361-first-project-surfcaster.html

Once I am done building new kitchen cabinets I plan to start on it again.

I also own an older Rickenbacker 650 Frisco which has a Paduck body ( they called it African Vermilion ). By far the prettiest guitar I own.

I drilled the body to reduce some weight, but this is going to be a solid 8.5 lb build, I will either learn to live with it or pass it on to my nephew or grandson!

-Harry

5. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Had a Guild GAD-30PCE that the back and sides were padauk...very pretty reddish colour. I went between thinking it was the best guitar of all to thinking it sounded like a cereal box! Not fault of the guitar, I think I am just a dreadnaught-man...:rolleyes:

Brother has the piece now and loves it.

Good friend just had a custom baritone built in Canada with same back and sides...not quite as red...but outstanding sounding guitar.

Look up this wood, I think it is either in the rosewood family or considered a rosewood sub...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.