Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Padauk Single Cut Bass

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by lbridenstine, Dec 31, 2017.

1. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI
    I started this bass almost a year ago, but I'm finally getting back to it.

-4 string, fretted, 24 frets
    -Single cut, neck thru
    -Long ziricote fretboard
    -Padauk/wenge/black limba/wenge/black limba body
    -Wenge/maple/wenge/padauk/wenge/maple/wenge neck laminates
    -Luminlay side dots
    -Bartolini soapbar pickups
    -Hipshot D style bridge and tailpiece
    -Hipshot Ultralite tuners (Y shape)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rough mockup of the back of the bass (minus the neck taper).

[​IMG]

Neck lams straight off of the planer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And today, I started working on the neck taper. It looks like my jointer still needs some adjustment because it didn't leave me with a straight edge, so I used this big hunk of ziricote for a straight edge... part of which is going to be my fretboard.
    [​IMG]

BC-Rush, LowThudd and Mat UK like this.
  2. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Beautiful wood selection! That neck is going to look amazing

lbridenstine likes this.
  3. lbridenstine

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI
    Speaking of wood selection, this is the top wood:

[​IMG]

esetter, LowThudd and Mat UK like this.
  4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I was going to agree with Mat about the neck laminations, and then you dropped the top wood pix ! Wowsa! :cool:

lbridenstine and Mat UK like this.
  5. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Dunno what is the red wood on last pic, but is really nice!

lbridenstine likes this.
  6. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    Looks like Red Paduak

lbridenstine likes this.
  7. lbridenstine

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI
    Yes, it's padauk. The top wood and the middle section of the neck are both padauk, 2 different pieces, but they're a pretty close color match. I've been keeping them covered up, trying to limit light exposure and so far they're still looking good with vibrant colors.

8. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Is Padauk a heavy wood? It sure is pretty.

9. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    What I've found on web:

" It (padauk) is hard, heavy, and strong, it finishes wonderfully and brings out all its splendor when lacquer is applied.

The instruments it produces are simply fantastic. Great tone, stability and unique projection are some of the characteristics of this fabulous wood."

Based on that, I think the bass will be more than nice...

lbridenstine likes this.
  10. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    If I remember Padauk was a little smelly when working with it. But it does have very pretty details to it.

11. lbridenstine

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI
    A few of the many options for the fretboard, it's really hard to choose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm leaning towards one of the last two, but still not sure. I like the landscape scenery look of the first one too.

Glue-up:

[​IMG]

R. Stratenstein and LowThudd like this.
  12. lbridenstine

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI
    It has a smell to it. I always wear a mask, so I don't really notice it too much. It doesn't seem like a bad smell to me, at least not through a mask.

13. lbridenstine

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI
    If anyone has a good router fretboard radiusing jig they want to share info on, please do :)

Edit: I think I already bought pvc pipes and mdf for it, so that's what I'm planning on making it out of.

14. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Not sure what you want for radius Lisa but maybe you can go from these courtesy of Marc Rutters.

Attached Files:

Luthi3rz and lbridenstine like this.
  15. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Here are some others that are similar.

Attached Files:

Luthi3rz and lbridenstine like this.
  16. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2017
    Lyon, France
    That's a really nice slab of padauk you've got here! Anthony Paine from Harvester Guitars uses it quite a lot for his necks and fretboards, and his guitars have a really nice chime to them...

I read a lot of about padauk a while back, and apparently, the best way to prevent its beautiful color to darken and go purple/brown too quickly with UV exposure is to seal it with a good coat of shellac. I'll try to dig up that article...

(ok, here it is - https://www.woodworkerssource.com/b...sh-african-padauk-wood-to-preserve-the-color/ )

lbridenstine likes this.
  17. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I like the first fretboard option, but I'm a sucker for landscape Ziricote.

My router radiusing jig has the swinging arm where the fretboard mounts and the router sits on top. Takes a little more permanent space, but I like how it works.

lbridenstine likes this.
  18. lbridenstine

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI
    Thanks! I'm probably doing a 12" radius.

I was planning on making it similar to this: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthr...682c27de9b56c3a3b284830&p=2279583#post2279583

but I wanted to see some more plans and maybe combine plans. Some people have told me that the diameter of the pvc pipes and width of the base plate, etc don't matter, so I'm kinda confused about that part of it. In the plans you linked, it looks like every measurement has to be exact.

I have seen that article and kind of based my finishing plan around it. My plan is platina blonde shellac to seal, clear grain filler (http://www.lmii.com/products/finishing/filler/aqua-coat-clear-filler), maybe another layer of shellac? (not sure if I really need that), and top it with water based lacquer (https://www.targetcoatings.com/product/emtech-em6000-wb-production-lacquer/). I'm not sure about gloss vs. satin yet. I think these woods would look really good satin, but that's kind of what I always think, so I'm considering doing gloss. I'll try to do a test piece.

I've decided that I probably will go with the first one. I did some rough mockups in Illustrator and it looked like it worked the best.

19. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I don’t think you would go wrong with any of those fretboards, but #1 was my favorite, too.

The diameter of the PVC pipes is important only insofar as how far they hold the sled up off the fretboard. It’s easy to get into a situation where you need a longer router bit than what’s available, to reach down to the fretboard, if you use pipes that are too big, or make your sled runners too high. I did, and have to cobble up some build-up boards under my FB’s so my router bit can reach. Also, don’t forget to include the router sled’s height into calculating your radius on the sled runners. You needn’t ask me how I know these facts; I need to rebuild my FB router radius jig at some point.:eek:

lbridenstine likes this.
  20. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    On those plans that I posted I'm not sure how the radius of the sled sides are calculated. I can't get me head around it but I figured the diameter of the PVC pipes had something to to with it. I don't know geometry. On the Rutters 9.5 radius the sled is cut to a 10.59 radius..

lbridenstine likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.