Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

P90's v P100's - what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by samuelmorrissey, Aug 3, 2017.

1. samuelmorrissey

samuelmorrissey TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Hey folks,

(kinda) a NGD for me. Well, I'm buying a guitar from my old man that he was trying to sell.

It's a Gibson 60's tribute LP Studio Goldtop with two P100's. Took a quick snap of it last night - see below

I took the guitar home late last night and went straight off to work this morning so didn't get a change to plug it in yet. But in the meantime I've done some research on P100's thinking that they'd be a great addition to this guitar. Turns out the general concensus is they're a piece of cr*p!

I'm not forming an opinion based on that alone and I will spend a lot of time with this guitar before deciding what to do. I'm very much in the boat of 'If I like the sound, I'll keep it!'

Just putting this out there to see what you lovely people think

Anyone use P100's? Pro's / Cons?

Rock and roll regards,
    S

Gibson1.jpg

tintag27 likes this.

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    They look great. Give me five minutes I'll think of another......

No really, there's nothing wrong with them, another shade of humbucker. The reason people say that, is P90s are a bit special. P100s just don't sound quite like them

If you like 'em, don't sweat it. Cool lookin' axe.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    brookdalebill likes this.

3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I have limited experience with P100's, but extensive experience with P90's, as two of my four electrics have P90's, and a third has SP90's (Strat-sized P-90 pickup)...

In my limited experience, P100 pickups sound more "modern" (i.e., higher gain) and also a bit thinner and brighter. Of course, they're quieter...

P90's are fatter, warmer and lower gain, thus a little more "vintage" (whatever that means to you). They aren't hum cancelling.

I will put up with the need for a noise gate and/or the avoidance of neon signs to achieve the other qualities P90's possess. They're my favorite pickup, and they've become a part of my signature sound.

4. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

P-100 are noiseless, they are basically humbuckers with stacked magnets and aren't anything like true P-90s. If you're looking for the P-90 sound P-100s aren't it.

5. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I had a Junior with P100s back in the day. Harsh, trebly, even everybody in my band hated the sound.

Perhaps that was just the way I was playing it.

Not long afterwards I got a Junior with P90s and everybody, including me, was MUCH happier.

Bitchin guitar. I'd say try the P100s for awhile and see what you can do with them. If you dont like them, P90s are readily available, and if you cant find any that fit.... there are all kinds of pickups in the world that will.

samuelmorrissey likes this.

6. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Thanks for the input folks!

I've read there's big differences between these and P90's but to be honest, I'm not expecting a P90 sound at all and was not the reason for buying this one

I guess I'll use my own ears to see if I can dig it. I'm used to humbuckers and single coils (mainly playing a 335 and Tele respectively).

I had a Squier Tele Custom a long time ago with 2 Duncan Designed P90's but didn't quite get the Tele sound I was hoping for. You know...THAT sound. Great guitar overall but wanted a more standard Tele so moved it on.

All that's left to do with this puppy is plug and play :)

S

7. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    My old man actually still has the original P90's that came with this. He's thinking of puttin them in his Epiphone ES-295

If I decide to change them out and he still has them, I can always go back to stock

8. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    More research....

There is some serious hate on the interwebs for P100's. Gibson forums / Seymour Duncan forums / general gear pages all hating on the P100. Very few people actually approving of them. Getting worried now....should I try wrangle the original P90's back?

I want to leave this purely up to my ears and how the guitar sounds to me but surely that many people can't be wrong?

One notable post from user LtKojak over on the Seymour Duncan page...They REALLLLLLLLY don't like P100's

upload_2017-8-3_14-56-59.png

Attached Files:

Jakeboy likes this.

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Wait until you get a couple of hundred posts before you plug it in. Others' opinions are more important than your ears,

ac15, MilwMark and Antigua Tele like this.

10. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    P90s are much higher gain.

11. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Not sure that's possible. There are two types of P-90. The Junior has "soapbar" P-90s, while archtops use the "dog-ear" P-90s.

12. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    I said that to him. His thought was just swap out the coils and fit them in the dog ear covers. Dunno if that's possible at all!

13. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    That's probably possible.

14. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Aug 30, 2008
    MI
    If these are stock pickups, I believe they should be P90s. Lp Tribute series comes with 90s. You can of course tell by the hum or the lack of it if they are 90s or 100s.

Having said that, nothing wrong with P100s, but they sound very different from p90s. I have played an ES135 with P100s and I remember them being very balanced, somewhat compressed and hi-fi sounding, not very dynamic. P90s are just the opposite of that, so if you're expecting P90 sounds, you will be disappointed. If you are not expecting anything in particular, I think p100s are great in covering a sonic territory that no single coil pickup can.

15. Bren

Bren TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Sussex
    Don't chuck them out because of some comments on forums. A lot of these people who say they are crappy have never tried them and are just reiterating what they've read.

If you let common consensus guide your tone, you'll end up sounding like everybody else does ;)

I've had P100s in my LP for years. I love them, although they do have a coil tap which makes them more versatile.
    The thing about P100s is that they are not P90s (even though they look like them) or PAFs, and therefore in most peoples view they are inferior, especially on a Les Paul.

The truth is, they have a sound all of their own and you just need to set your amp up differently to get them to work well. The same as you would if you plugged a telecaster in right after a LP custom.

So I recommend you have a play with them (in a band setting) and get to know them for a bit. If you don't like 'em that's cool, but at least you'll know. :)

EDIT - I was gonna say, if those are aftermarket P100s (tributes have p90s standard) and the pots have not been changed from the LP P90 wiring, you will get amazing results changing those pots. If the pots have not been changed it'll probably sound very dull and mushy with p100s.

16. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Yup play them and decide. Many options for P90 greatness: Duncan vintage are simply awesome, dead-on balanced tone, reasonably priced. Lollar P90 is now the industry reference.

17. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Thanks! This is the sort of stuff I like to see!

Too many people on other forums slating the P100 in comparison to the P90 but no unbiased reviews of the P100 on its own from someone who isn't comparing it to a P90

Very true RE: general consensus; the idea is to not sound like everyone else...right?

I don't have much experience with P90's so I can't say for sure that I'm after that sound. It was a long time ago I had that Squier Custom so have probably forgotten what P90's sound like anyway so maybe the P100's will bring me back to those days, who knows.

I'm not expecting any particular sound really. The only thing I'm expecting is a good quality guitar and if the pickups compliment that, then I'll be very happy

Thankfully, I've just joined a second band that have a different sound to what I'm used to playing with the other group so I can use the LP to experiment and see where I land!

Thanks for the input - always love seeing the wealth of knowledge and help on this forum

S

18. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    People don't like p100s for the same reason people don't like noiseless strat/tele pickups. There's something missing from the sound (besides the noise).

If you want to upgrade from the regular p90s that come in it, there are tons of companies making really great p90s in any configuration you could want. You've got super underwound 50's style p90s at about 6.5-8Kohm clear on through to the Pig-90 from bareknuckle which is 15Kohm in the neck and 21.5Kohm in the bridge. If you don't mind almost doubling the value(cost rather) of the guitar and want noiseless, kinman makes great stuff.

P90s are the telecaster of pickups(I might get burned for that). They aren't necessarily the best pickup for every genre or situation, but by golly they'll pull it off. You'll find them in Jazz, country, reggae, folk rock, classic rock, hard rock, disco, metal, grunge, pop whatever. People are playin p90 guitars and getting great sounds. The clarity and sparkle of a single coil with the push and a little compression like a humbucker.

My best advice is this: if the guitar plays and sounds good unplugged, and doesn't sound like you'd want it to plugged in, adjust your pickup height first, then maybe look into swapping pots/switch, if it still isn't your cup of tea, then look into aftermarket pickups. if it plays and feels nice, and sounds good acoustically, I guarantee you'll love it with a decent set of pickups in it. If not, send it to me. I'll pay the shipping. ;-)

Fiesta Red likes this.

19. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    They can do pretty much anything. From jazz to the Who at Woodstock/Live at Leeds.

But, this is probably my favorite application of them:

JohnnyBloo13 likes this.

20. samuelmorrissey

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Will check those out when I get home from work! Looks the same as mine :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.