Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

P90 Telecaster - Bad/Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by david henman, Feb 8, 2007.

1. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    in before the lock...heres mine
    [​IMG]

Elias Graves likes this.

2. beef

beef NEW MEMBER!

Aug 14, 2011
    north Wales
    Very nice. i've just finished this one.
    Picture 710.jpg

Elias Graves likes this.

3. D.Allen

D.Allen Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Mar 19, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    I love the tone of P90's

4. jmcfender1

jmcfender1 Tele-Holic

May 6, 2011
    Appalachian Mtns
    good idea, very good idea.

5. daveplaysatele

daveplaysatele TDPRI Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Southbridge, MA
    stratman323,

Well, if it is overwound you don't have to use it...for me I enjoy having the options available. I will post a photo of my project guitar during the week.

Daveplaysatele
    Southbridge, MA

6. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2004
    Melvis, TN.
    "T90"s from Vintage Vibe Guitars, 90% P90 tone in standard Tele size, I love them:

+1

7. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    This is true! But if it's too overwound to use, it would be easier to just use a P90 instead. ;)

8. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    Two P90s in my Strat are wonderful and I guess they would be just as good in a Tele. I'll make one when the missus isn't looking!

For me, P90s in a solid body guitar anyway are the perfect blend of fat sounds and clarity.

9. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2008
    Virginia
    I’m a total noob on this topic so apologies in advance.

A long time ago I had put in, a GFS mini-humbucker in my SX STL-50.
    No problems at all and it sounds great.

For a whiole, I’ve wanted to try a P90 into a new SX Tele.
    I will admit that cream colored pickup covers gross me out.
    Why are all P90s either cream or black? (And not chrome like all other pups?)

Also, there seems to be many different types of P90s.

There are several P90 brands out there (including from forum vendors) but anyone who has heard me play knows that there is no sense in me spending $200 for a pickup.

Do I have to buy two pups as a pair to make sure they “cancel” each other out to reduce hum or can I just buy a neck P90 only by itself?

Are there any other cost-effective vendors other than Guitar Fetish?

Thanks!

10. OG_Stike

OG_Stike TDPRI Member

May 29, 2011
    Bergenfield,NJ
    I am a big fan of P90's, since I have a 69 SG Special.

I like Kinman PUs and use Kinman Broadcasters in my Tele. When Kinman came out with his version of the P90, I decided to put one in my Tele.
    Before I dropped in the P90, I had a 4 way switch for my Kinman Broadcaster PUs. When I put the Kinman P90 in, I kept it as close as possible to the existing neck pu. I left the 4 way switch in and added a push pull volume pot that basically switches which pu I am using as the neck pickup.

The P90 is hotter than the other 2 PU's but I kinda like it that way. I mainly use the P90 by itself, but the bridge and P90 in series is a very usable sound.

11. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    You're right that there isn't much choice of pickup cover colour with P90s, usually just black or cream. You can get chrome covers, but they're harder to find. Axesrus sell them, but they might be a little bit far away for you.

http://www.axesrus.com/axepupcovs.htm#HumbPUC

Here's mine with a chrome cover. It almost fits......

[​IMG]

Choosing P90s is no harder than or easier than choosing any other kind of pickups. Everyone will tell you that their pickups are vastly better to the inferior stuff that everyone else makes, & you have to decide who to believe!

12. Yodhan

Yodhan Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I have a Tele with two GFS Dream 90's and I love it.

13. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Florida
    Here's one I put together:

14. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

If the P90 sound is what you're after, it certainly works!! Here's mine, a MIJ Aerodyne Telecaster

Attached Files:

15. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

get the router out...:twisted: and molest a squier... good therapy...:D
    whack a few dog ears in.... sound great too.... Josi Warman's spec wind...

or grab a WRCedar rafter and make a tele.... throw a few Kent Armstrongs in....;)

hearing those P90's growl and sing it's kinda like finding that sound you were always looking for .... :)..

I'd hate to hear what "expensive" ones sound like..:rolleyes:... it'd ruin the experience I'm having now with these Warmans.... :cool:

Attached Files:

Elias Graves likes this.

16. DHart

DHart Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Great thread to keep alive and kicking! There are some beautiful looking guitars here and I'll bet they sound as great as they look.

I am a complete P-90 newb and I'm a bit confused. I see some with screw flanges off to each side of the pickups; I see some without those "wings" but with two mounting screws in the middle of the pickup; I hear about P94 variation that is similar in size to a humbucker (I think)?; and I hear about other variations in different sizes and shapes.

Can someone here shed some light and explanation on the variations? Or, is there a good primer on the web for the P-90 newb to learn more about all these variations, so I can understand the details well enough to make decisions about what type of Tele body I might select, so that I can put together a Tele with P-90s?

17. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Those batwing P-90 you described are called Dog-ear P-90 they commonly used in Gibson's guitars .For more information about the history of the P-90's check out the wikipedia P-90

18. DHart

DHart Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA

19. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    Any P90 guitar is a good idea. :lol: Seriously, I think about the pickup first, and don't worry too much about what it is going into, tele, strat, LP Jr, whatever; it's all just a fancy lump of wood.

DHart likes this.

20. DHart

DHart Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Tony... I agree. My first adventure with P-90s is with the Epiphone ES-339 P-90 that I recently got.

Superb tones coming from this great, compact guitar, shown here for size reference:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This 339 P-90 stands head-to-head with a lot of much more expensive guitars in my stable, with a beautiful, woody, very musical tone all-its-own.

There is a large thread about this over here:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/other-gu...9-p-90-little-gem-just-rocks.html#post6235352

GearHund and Elias Graves like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.