Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

P90 Telecaster - Bad/Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by david henman, Feb 8, 2007.

1. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    It's a K-line. It was actually the inspiration for his new K-line Truxton Special model, one of the last guitars Chris built before starting his new branded line. I may actually end up selling it soon, but it's absolutely killer.

2. wenis

wenis Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2005
    I've wanted to try this with a parts caster already routed for standard telepickups. My plan was to use dog ears, a half tele bridge and install a bigsby b5. My question is fitting the P90 dogears correctly over the old bridge pickup route. Has anyone tried this setup I'm describing?

3. sonserve

sonserve Friend of Leo's

Why did you have to bring that up? Now I'm all gassey... :lol:

4. DrB

DrB Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2004
    Istanbul
    Here is mine:

[​IMG]

USA CG Honduran Mahogany with a quilt top, and Warmoth thick V neck, with Lollar's p90s.

It is a great sounding guitar. Love it...

B

GearHund, puddin and Elias Graves like this.
  5. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    It seems a shame to lose the classic Tele bridge & pickup, but just fitting a neck P90 is an interesting mod. Just be aware there will be quite a big tonal difference between the two pickups.

[​IMG]

6. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    i had a Richwood/Douglas (same guitar) Thinline with p90's and it was excellent especially after I changed out the stock pickups for Toneriders .A huge improvement .I now have a PRS SE semi hollow soapbar and its perfect for my style of playing but I may put Tonerider Vintage 90's in ..I also have an SX thinline with a Tonerider P90 in the neck .I modded the pickguard myslf .I love P90's .Nice and thick and warm ...just like me ..:lol:

7. abieber

abieber TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    How about a tele with one dogeared P90??????

8. abieber

abieber TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Anyone build a tele with one p90 like a student model 50's les paul?

9. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

Tele's are a great platform for P90s. So good in fact that Fender has done it! Here's my MIJ Aerodyne Tele...

Attached Files:

GearHund and Elias Graves like this.
  10. merlick

merlick TDPRI Member

May 26, 2011
    Dallas, TX
  11. Muddy T-Bone

Muddy T-Bone Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2009
    Folsom, CA
    I've built around 6 to 7 Tele's with P-90's. They are wonderfull, you'll love it.

For the folks that say they "won't sound like a tele" they're wrong. They DO sound like a tele only with an attitude. I always use a P94 in a tele style bridge, which I'm convinced contributes to the Tele tone in position 1.

You can't go wrong.... AS LONG AS YOU USE HIGH QUALITY P-90'S. Like Fralin or Lollar. Don't use cheap crap PUP's or you'll be disapointed.

12. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    twin p90's means a custom body, and that can get tricky and expensive ...

[​IMG]

... and it will be easier to run with twin p94's (or z90's!) ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.. don't forget a mini-hum in the neck slot ...

[​IMG]

... while it's easiest to mod any tele to have a p90 in the neck position, i also think that's the best combination of pickups for all genre's of musak. couple it with a 4 way and all bases are covered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fred and his "cheryl" gigging away ...
    [​IMG]

13. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland
    Dont forget that you can use a 'Jazzmaster Pickup' in the neck position as opposed to a 'P90' ;) The 6 individual pole mags mirror the bridge pickup in tonality compared to the P90s one long bar magnet under the 6 adjuster screws that feed that magnet. I'm not stating there is a right or wrong here...just sayin I prefer the articulation from the Jazz pup with regards to sound because of it's individual mags ;)

Attached Files:

14. p90grinder

p90grinder Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2008
    illinois
    Got a couple Tele's I put together with P-90's. The first is a swamp ash body w/Black Doves, sounds great, like a tele with attitude. I was pleasantly surprised by the Black Doves, much nicer than I anticipated. The second is all mahogany w/Harmonic Designs Z-90 and Super 90 and a cherry finish. This one does not sound like a tele, more like a hot LP Special.

Attached Files:

Elias Graves likes this.
  15. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Here is my 2011 build challenge guitar with Fezzter FP-90's

[​IMG][​IMG]

Elias Graves likes this.
  16. bargoedboy

bargoedboy Tele-Afflicted

Apr 16, 2008
    sherborne
    Guy who built my lap steel makes a tele with a P90 take a look. :cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Elias Graves likes this.
  17. Rocking G. Real

Rocking G. Real TDPRI Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Madrid
    GREAT idea

18. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

My MIJ Aerodyne Tele has a stock P90... Love it!!

Attached Files:

Elias Graves likes this.
  19. daveplaysatele

daveplaysatele TDPRI Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Southbridge, MA
    Hi guys,

I recently put together a very light (weight) parts Tele and installed a SD P-Rails in the neck position. Very easy with a replacement pickguard to house a standard humbucker. Put a DPDT switch between the vol and tone knobs to control the P-Rails. My guitar is VERY resonant and the P-Rails sounds AWESOME on the P-90 setting. The other two settings, single-coil and humbucker sound good too, but the P-90 rules.

Daveplaysatele
    Southbridge, MA

20. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    The P-Rails is a very interesting idea & I have been tempted. But isn't the humbucker setting too overwound to be much use? From the figures on the SD website it looks like it could be.

Do you have a pic of your Tele?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.