Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

P90 Telecaster - Bad/Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by david henman, Feb 8, 2007.

1. cmeyer

cmeyer Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2004
    Wilmington, NC
    A most righteous idea! I'm working on my second build with a P90 neck/Tele bridge combo. It's a pretty good "swiss army knife" configuration. Tele bridge tones...check! Killer old school fat neck tones....yup! Middle position is full and chimey.....very useful for rhythm position. The neck P90 is a Budz and it's very clear....wound to match a Tele bridge output. Bridge pickup is a 7.0k Don Mare wind. All in all, it's probably my favorite guitar and pup configuration I've ever used. Here is the old workhorse in action (need to take some good pics of it)....

[​IMG]

GearHund and Elias Graves like this.

2. longjuan

longjuan TDPRI Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Argentina
    Ideas for a TC-90

Hello guys!!! Exelent material up here in telecaster.com

I own a Fender TC-90 and i would like to customize it a little, the idea is to make it sound more like a thinline 69...

You may say, why not buying a 69? well first of all i like the TC-90 aspect, the second, the 69 does not come to Argentina (where i live), and the thirth, id like to make a very telecaster unique one

So...as for the neck pickup i thought in making a new pickguard and make the hole for a traditional tele pickup, maybe a "texas special neck pickup"??

The problem is the bridge pickup, do you suggest any idea?? I read about a guy who said it can be made a single coil tele pickup in the p90 hole, is that possible?

Do you suggest any p90 pickup that can sound more than a telecaster vintage sound??

Please answer:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Juan Pablo

3. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2004
    Middle America
    Just put me a P90 in the neck ...

and I gots me some sort of SD humbucky single in the bridge on my MIM in the avatar and I'm LIKIN' it!

Peace.

4. fredgold52

fredgold52 TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Macomb, IL
    I just finished installing an inexpensive Wilkinson P-90 Bridge pickup in the neck position of my Kramer Focus Tele style. It also now has a higher output standard style PU in the bridge. The bridge PU is connected out of phase with the P-90 which enriches the sound of the "both" position.

With the neck PU selected, the sound is very full, all the strings sing out beautifully, I knew it would be good because of my Jazzmaster experience. But I didn't know it would be this good.

Do it, you won't regret it.

5. Telecasterist

Telecasterist Former Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Australia
    I have seen tele bridges with P90 cutouts.

6. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2008
    Cincinnati
    Can you describe the sound of a P90 bridge?

While I have never played a guitar with a P90 I think I have a pretty good idea of what they sound like. I'm talking LP Jr's or SG P90's. But I think what I have heard and think of as a P90 is the P90 neck. Thick, ballsy, woody, strong low/midrange. How would you characterize the P90 bridge sound?

I am currently designing a P90 guitar and probably going with Mean 90's because they have the sound I described above. But hearing you guys talk about using a Tele pickup has me wondering if I should do the same. Or heck, maybe even go with a humbucker for some versitility.

7. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2008
    Cincinnati
    If you use a humbucker sized P90 there are definitely Tele bridges available. Not sure about soapbar sized P90's...

8. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2003
    Tug Hill Plateau
    No

No soapbar size p90 tele bridges are available.

JJ

Attached Files:

9. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2010
    PA-US
    Here is an option. This is a photo of my 1966 tele that I bought brand new. I installed a P90 in a the center position many years ago out of an old 50's vintage SG Les Paul. What I am doing now is to put a set of Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups in the bridge and neck positions, and I am installing a DiMarco DP162 Deluxe pickup humbucker in the place of the P90.

The reason for the replacement is that the DiMarco has 4 wires coming off of it, two of the wires are just the single coil, and the other two are the other half of the pickup wired out of phase to provide noise cancelling. So you have the vintage P90 pickup option, as well as a single coil. (I'm curious what kind of sound the single coil DiMarco will produce)

So for stomp box, distortion pedal, big amp leads you get zero feedback with the "P90" setup, and then you have the tele twang in the original pickups.

As far as the switching, they did not have 5 position switches back then so I added the two switches on the lower wing which gives me the ability to go all P90, or just the orignal tele, or any combination of both. If I were to do one today, I would go with the 5 position switch which will give you the same thing.

By the way, the DiMarco DP162 is a dead on replacement for the P90, you can drop it right into the old spot you may already have a P90 in. Also, and this is important, with one of their either push-pull, or push-push pots you can easily select either option of the 2 wire setup for single coil or 4 wire for dual coil noise cancelling P90 sound.

I'm dying to get this whole thing installed, and that is why I am asking questions on another post about shielded wiring etc.

Like I said, this is just another option. I think also having a dual P90 tele is a great idea. Those P90's put out a lot more power than the vintage tele pkups do, and for some lead work in an effects pedal it must be a cool option to have that kind of power at the bridge. The pictures of those cool looking dual P90 teles look great.

Attached Files:

Elias Graves likes this.

10. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Wilkinson half bridge $18 at azguitarparts.com The bridge still has a surprising amount of "Tele-ness"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
    Elias Graves likes this.

11. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

Apr 5, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    I have Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queens (hum sized P90s) in a Warmoth Tele Deluxe that I put together and whereas overdriven they sound great, clean I find them honky, flat and just generally pretty uninspiring sounding.

12. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

Apr 5, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    This. My Warmoth has a Padouk neck. I think that might have something to do with it too. Even though padouk is supposed to be bright...

13. donh

donh Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2010
    Oh Aich Ten
    that's some beautiful stuff! :)

(drool)

14. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Tele-Afflicted

Jan 7, 2010
    Califon, NJ

I've always regretted not buying the TV one I saw at a shop in NYC when they first came out.

Set neck, P-90 in a solid body tele. What's not to love?

15. Boundforglory07

Boundforglory07 Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2011
    Oshawa

16. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2003
    Magdalena, NM, US
    Here's my humble attempt. It's wicked.

[​IMG]

17. roflcopter

roflcopter TDPRI Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Central Valley, CA
    thrashmtl. is your burst just a partscaster? she's beautiful. its the exact configuration I'm looking for.

18. Teleblooz

Teleblooz Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2006
    Hillsboro, OR
    Interesting you should say that...
    [​IMG]

Elias Graves likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.