Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

P90 Telecaster - Bad/Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by david henman, Feb 8, 2007.

1. david henman

david henman Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 2, 2006
    bolton, ontario
    ...soapbar, yup!

-dh

2. david henman

david henman Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 2, 2006
    bolton, ontario
    ...love the fender tc90, if only it had a wraparound bridge.

-dh

3. Kingtone

Kingtone Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2003
    Camillus, NY
    I hear what your saying but...

A Tele bridge pickup has a more exposed coil that really interacts with the bridge plate plus the fact that it's actually mounted to the bridge plate.(which can result in some sweet microphonic tone) I'm not convinced that a P90 mounted in a Tele style bridge plate would yield the same results although I would mount it at an angle like a regular Tele bridge pickup...

4. Falstaff

Falstaff Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2003
    Massachusetts, USA
    Interesting thread. I have a nice (expensive) Historic LP Junior that I never use because I am *much* more comfortable playing Fender scale guitars, especially Teles. The Gibson is my most expensive guitar so the money is burning a hole in my pocket in advance because I can sell it and put together a cool P90-ish Tele thing and have money left over.

Thanks for the info and ideas, guys. :)

5. Sammy

Sammy TDPRI Member

Mar 18, 2003
    :cool: There's a Squier Tele Custom II that has two P-90s in it. It also has the full 2-vol/2-tone control/3-way switch set up. It only goes for $229 through Musicians Friend. I've thinking about getting one just to try out this dual P-90 concept. I'd like it in a Tele body. Gibson's just don't do it for me. Never have. No indictment against them, I just don't care for them.

Anyway, I was wondering about the P-90s in the Squier. They say "Duncan Designed". What exactly does that mean? Mattel, or Acme Pickups, or somebody copied a Duncan design. Or, are these built to the Duncan spec by a reputable outfit. Not knocking Fender, but I've bought some Squier's in the past that really had some "crap" for pickups installed in them.

Overall, the guitar seems like it might be worth a shot. Opinions?

6. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Probably made in China or Korea to Seymour Duncan specs.

7. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 12, 2005
    Fullerton, CA
    Duncan Designed means they're licensed by SeymourDuncan, but not made by them.

I've been eyeballing a Tele Custom II myself... I really have had terrible and repeatedly bad experiences with Squiers though...

Usually the neck and hardware, which can be a simple fix later on...

Hmm, if only there's a way to keep that bridge and use a B5 Bigsby unit on that Custom II...

8. TeleMarc

TeleMarc TDPRI Member

Feb 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    I just modded my telecaster with a Seymour Duncan P-90 Stack in the neck position and a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder in the bridge...the combination is recommended!

9. Stratelcaster

Stratelcaster Tele-Meister

May 17, 2010
    Twin Towns,MN
    Lundgren makes a Tele bridge pickup.

10. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi Mate, and welcome. This thread is over tree years old! Maybe a new thread or a post in the 'Welcome Waggon' as a first post instead?

Cheers.

11. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've built a few of them and they were some of the nicest sounding guitars I've built.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jgnov99 and Elias Graves like this.

12. Happy Tele

Happy Tele Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2010
    vb
    this one looks killer!

13. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2003
    Tug Hill Plateau
    Love 'Em

Love those P90's.
    I play 3 of them.
    The walnut is a suhr bridge in neck,duncan bridge.
    The "little" one is a suhr bridge in neck,'lil '59 bridge. (the pic has a klein)
    The yellow one is a suhr neck & a G&L ASAT classic bridge.

JJ

Attached Files:

Elias Graves likes this.

14. kurt72

kurt72 Tele-Meister

May 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    doin research on this, because i played one of these today at Guitar Center, a Tele deluxe black dove.
    [​IMG]

I have been a member of the Guitar ReRanch for 3 years now. have done mulitple paint jobs. but i was blown away with the tone of the Black Dove!! but i am having a hard time finding bodies for Tele's w/P90 routes. i am pretty much limited to just paining due to space and tools. but i would love to find a place that would at least OFFER a P90 in the bridge. only other option i would have is to route myself. or get someone to do it. bottom line, im not spending $800 on a Made in Mex poly finished Tele when I could build one cheaper. and BETTER. :cool:

15. brads

brads TDPRI Member

Feb 13, 2006

16. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

Jun 27, 2009
    Colbert, WA
    P90's are great and I think they fit a Tele perfectly.

That being said, and depending on what specs you are looking for as to neck, frets, etc., I picked up a made in USA Peavey Firenza with P90's for $200 in amazing condition. I play sitting down and the body shape is the most comfortable of all my guitars to play. Same scale as a Tele but because of the body seems easier to play.

Just another option that may work for a few as I cannot modify a Tele for anything close to that kind of money.

17. kurt72

kurt72 Tele-Meister

May 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    thanks for the tips. i have a Poplar Tele body i may get rerouted for P90s. but then again, i don't know. it's dismantled cuz i didn't like the tone of it. you tap it with your finger and you can hear it's pretty dense.

18. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Nov 17, 2006
    MA
    These guys will do anything you want.

http://www.usacustomguitars.com

19. Steinar G

Steinar G RIP

Oct 4, 2008
    Norway
    "T90"s from Vintage Vibe Guitars, 90% P90 tone in standard Tele size, I love them:

[​IMG]

20. Hollmanp90

Hollmanp90 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Southern Ill "PLANKSTER" ........

Grand Pappys' Broadcaster vibe . P-90 ballz .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GearHund and Elias Graves like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.