P90 suggestion

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by sothoth, Nov 26, 2018.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Don't forget to start with the pots and caps. They control the tone nuances as much as the pickups. You'll search through a lot of pickups to find one that matches a pot that is on the wrong end of its tolerance band for you. I've fixed some guitars with just a five cent cap from 0.047uF to 0.033uF too.

As for pickups, check ebay. Not all the P90s are as good but some are really surprisingly nice ... and less than $15/set.
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=151620456535
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=272681543151
    Sellers change frequently as they buy a bulk batch from the factory and resell so you need to look at construction details of the parts.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I've got just one word for you....."Bootstrap".
    Ryan at Bootstrappickups.com can make just about anything you like, might even have RWRP P-90s in stock. Quality and service are EXCELLENT, and his reasonable pricing is "icing on the cake"....BTW, handmade in U.S.A.

3. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I’ll check bootstrap

4. sothoth

By the way, I’m not unhappy with the Lollars. I just have another guitar that I want to put P90s in and done need two with the same pickups.

5. sothoth

Another issue is that, if I’m browsing Lollar or Fralin or Bare Knuckle’s web site and see something promising, I can email them and ask questions like “for this style of music, how will this model work for me?” And feel like they are all responsive and give excellent advice. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a pickup from one of them and felt like it wasn’t exactly as described. That doesn’t mean I love the pickup always, but it was always an informed decision.

I tried that with GFS and never received a reply. So even at the low price point I feel like it’s a bigger risk or not liking what I received just due to lack of information.

Clips are helpful but a human that knows about them and can discuss with you is priceless.

6. sothoth

I know some of these cheap pickups are good but how would you know until they arrived and until you spent a lot of time experimenting?

7. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I've done Lollars, too. I like them at the bridge, but I really don't like them at the neck. Their humucker-shaped 'P90' is great at the neck, but the real P90, not for me. Mileage varies, naturally.

Actually, it might be worth it for me to try a mixed set, with a Lollar bridge P90 and a Fralin neck. That might be the best of both worlds.

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

9. sothoth

10. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Bare knuckle boot camp sets might be up your alley.

11. sothoth

Have you tried them? I am aware of the pickup series but haven’t looked at why they’re less expensive or listened to sound clips

12. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I’ve not. I’ve listened to some sound clips and they sound great, not sure where they cut cost though

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

TequilaCaster likes this.
  14. Bella_Caster

Bella_Caster Tele-Meister

More on GFS p90s: I had the 'vintage correct' slick jr alnico 5 bridge PUP un my SL59 but to me it was more bright and bitey than i preferred (which some people like). I ended up replacing it with an older Epi LPJ p90 i had lying around, which has more body and a darker sound.

15. sothoth

I think P90s are supposed to have some fat and grind to them, too. I don’t get enough info on GFSs site to feel comfortable with that I’ll get so I kind of avoid them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.