P90 help

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Shadow5150, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Shadow5150

Shadow5150 TDPRI Member

Hello

Ive got a Wilson Bros Ventures Anniversary Model. Its an amazing guitar but the pickups in it suck. Noisy, no sparkel etc.
    Im looking for some nice noiseless pups to install
    Ive been looking at
    Tv Jones
    Kinman
    Frailin

Wonder if anyone has any suggestions or experience in P90 for surf
    Kinda want that Jazzmaster sound

Fiesta Red likes this.
  2. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Try Bootstrap...I have a set of p90s in an Epiphone Special II that are great sounding. Ryan will see you get what you need. Not the biggest investment if you are not that pleased with them. These were humbucker sized but they have regular p90 sizes DSCN3191.JPG

Nickadermis and BorderRadio like this.
  3. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

A rod magnet P90 like the Bootstraps is more like a JM pickup in construction than a standard P90 is. It's a kind of P90/JM hybrid in a way. It would likely give you more of the sparkle and punch you are after, but it isn't noiseless.

I'm not aware of any noiseless rod magnet P90s out there. So if noiseless is important to you, you may have to settle for a more traditional P90 sound. Otherwise just live with some noise and go for the rod magnet construction.

4. Shadow5150

Shadow5150 TDPRI Member

here are the descriptions of a few im looking at

Frailin (Alnico noiseless p90)

The Alnico Rod Hum-Cancelling P-90 will sound like a regular P90, but with a familiar Fender sparkle on the top-end. Clean and articulate when playing without distortion. You’ll find that the nuances of your playing will come out as this pickup “breathes” more than it’s compressed P90 counterpart. With distortion, you’ll find a smooth, late breakup with a familiar Fender Strat-type tone.
    This Midrange of this pickup is pronounced as well. You’ll find that the Alnico Rod Hum-Cancelling P90 will still sound fat and beefy!

TV Jones (Magnatron)

The Magna’Tron blends single-coil twang with unique Filter'tron & DeArmond influence. Although it can sound just like a single-coil, it is built with two coils (humbucking). The dual-coils provide a hint of compression on the high-end and no 60-cycle hum. One part of the recipe that makes the Magna'Tron so special is it's staggered cylinder “Fender-style” magnets.

Bright and chirpy with quick attack and exceptional pop and clarity. The Magna’tron delivers a unique mix of single-coil spank meets Filter’Tron style twang with no hum. Slightly brighter and tighter on the bass than the TV Classic.

TV Jones (T Armond)

Our version of the original DeArmond 2000 pickups are more controlled in the high frequencies, taking away earth shattering ice-pickiness while keeping that "off-the-rails" attitude that these pickups are known for. Of course, at lower gain levels they sing with unmatched fidelity and clarity. Tom designed our T-Armond set after Brian Setzer's ‘56 Silver Jet that was used on his Dirty Boogie album. That guitar spent many hours on Tom's workbench over the years.

The T-Armonds are in a league of their own with crystal clear highs, bellowing lows, and a tastefully controlled midrange. They perform really well with and without a lot of gain. Some say they sound like tele pickups on steroids.

Kinman (580 staple)

The 580 has the juiciest sound of all Kinman pickups, it's the Master Grand Piano of the pickup world. We call it the 580 Alnico Staple since 480 is the name of the original Gibson staple model in the 1955 Black Beauty LP so we went one better to 580 because it has Zero-Hum and extreme 3D sonic dimensions. Alnico because it has Alnico magnets in the core of the coil like the original Gibson 480 -and- Staple since that's the common name for the Gibson 480.

Expression thru EXTREME Dynamics is the 3rd Dimension. The sound is Extreme Fender, like no Strat could ever sound like; it has that typical Fendery clang and has amazingly prominent piano mid-tones in the low wound strings, P90-like whack attack, a huge warm lush and sensual bottom end and brilliant highs that have a nice harmonic bloom. This pickup is modeled on our BrightMaster (Jazzmaster) with lots of sharp twang and piano tones. The overall sound is a true cross of Fender with beyond excellent note separation -and- a P-90 with it's airy extreme dynamic range, touch sensitivity and it's lush, sensual feel that Fender pickups just can not produce. Enuf enuf, stop with the gushing already. OK, I'll try ,,, but I just can't put this darn guitar down.

Expression thru EXTREME Dynamics is the 3rd Dimension and this pickup has it in spades.

580 Extra is the new matching bridge pickup, it sounds like the 580 neck model but it balances perfectly volume-wise with the normal 580 in the neck position and both-on-together gives a surprising huge 'c-luck' with extreme dynamic range. Yup, a pair of these will definitely put you in Sonic Nirvana.

Both versions are highly resistant to mushing and blurring on the low wound strings when played hard, especially in chord formation. You're not listening, I said stop with the gushing. Orite orite just one more thing and then I'll stop ......

We are pretty sure it'll put a big grin on your face. That's all I have to say, happy now?

Suitable for Soap-bar covers (included) and for use under existing Dog-Ear covers. See "Covers" below in the Technical section.

Recommended for neck position of Les Pauls* and any guitar with P-90's when a bright, clean tidy sound is required -or- the bridge position if desired for country or instrumental Twang.

Kinman (clean bridge)

Clean Bridge – it looks like a P-90 but is not exactly a P-90 sound, it's much much better ,,, thanks to it's Extreme 3D sonic dimensions. Sounds somewhat Fender-ish and is not inclined to break-up easily under heavy pick attack at low volume. Extremely dynamic, tighter focused growl under gain as per the sound file. Great for clean sounds but also delivers a great gain overdrive sound too. Both-on-together produces amazing and most intense 'c-luck' sound of all known pickups.

The Clean Bridge reports every subtle nuance of your playing to your amplifier like no other pickup. Detonate your playing with extreme dynamic range and have a lot of fun, enjoyment and satisfaction exploring the extended sonic dimensions of these remarkably advanced pickups.

Expression thru EXTREME Dynamics is the 3rd Dimension and this pickup has it in abundance.

In the bridge position it works well and balances well with the Standard Sweet Neck and the Bright Neck models in the neck position.

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

The Kinman noiseless P90's are awesome, but the cost is out of this world.

6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Call and speak to both Rio Grande Pickups and Pete Biltoft Vintage Vibe pickups; tell them your budget and what you want, and they’ll help you out.

I’ve had nothing but great experiences with both of them...highly recommended!

(I’m not affiliated with either one, except as a satisfied customer).

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

If you are having noise issues, make sure it's not the rest of the guitar first. Is there shielded cable (like you use from the guitar to the amp) going from the volume pot to the jack? Are the cavities shielded and continuous (check with a meter) some paints are not as good as aluminum/copper tape foils.

If you have poor wiring shielding, you'll put humbucker P90s in there and still have a lot of noise.

If you are trying to record while sitting in front of a computer/monitor you'll want to get chrome covered and grounded pickups to cut noise there. If you want to test, wrap a pickup cover in kitchen aluminum foil, be careful not to ground signal but ground the temporary 'cap', and be where the noise is and see if that helps you.

8. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Mojotone makes their quiet coil p90s that: according to YouTube sound awesome!! I’m actually considering them for my revstar. For the noise factor and my bridge pickup lacks a bit of punch I’m looking for. That said, mine are very sparkly.

9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I cured that in my P90 guitar by adding a dummy coil in parallel to the output (stripped the rods from a cheap strat pickup) - loads of sparkle and cuts 80% of the hum. Very surf sounding. It’s switchable in mine.

10. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I went thru the P90 search last year, and the consensus favorites were Lollar, Fralin and Wolfetone. If I was going noiseless, I'd have picked Fralin. But, I went with the Wolfetone Mean/Meaner set and absolutely love them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.