Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

P-90 Twang! How about it you Tele Slingers?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Platefire, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Hay I'm a tele player myself and have a 2003 Hwy 1 and 2006 Affinity Squire Butterscotch modified with upgrades. I am a lover of twang!

However I got one of those cheap Epiphone Special l with P-90's. These PU's have a twang that's a little hotter, little more bottomy than a stock tele pu but at the same time a definite twang voice. Kick in my dyna comp on squash setting on that bridge pu and boy there you go!

I don't think I would actually would do it myself but can't help but wonder how a P-90 would sound mounted in a regular tele bridge plate. Has this been done? Plagtefire
    IMG_20180413_151431.jpg

LocoTex, Gibson and Fiesta Red like this.
  2. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    I haven't put a P90 in a tele, but I agree that they are cool .. a lovely medium. Lots of power, single coil dynamics and a touch of sweetness. I like them a lot!

Since getting the guitar below, my tele has been playing second fiddle (tho there are off course things, where I prefer a proper tele :) )

[​IMG]

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Tele Bridge= twang
    P-90 anywhere = grind

Jakeboy and Mike Simpson like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I recently put a P90 in the neck of my Rondo SX Tele copy and I've really been enjoying it for slide playing.

[​IMG]

Gibson, Fiesta Red and Zepfan like this.
  5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    With a Wilkinson half Tele bridge they twang just fine.
    With a stop tail ow wrap around they sound like a Gibson.

img00356a.jpg

6. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I've seen, and heard a lot of p90s in tele's--they can sound great--though I've never seen a p90 pickup in a tele-style bridge plate.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  7. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    I guess a normal size P-90 is too big to made to fit in a standard size tele bridge plate. The half bridge shown previous is closer to standard Fender approach. They do make so called P-90's in standard size fender SC size but me, I want a P-90 to look like a vintage size P-90---myself! Platefire

Fiesta Red likes this.
  8. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I think a lower-wind P90 and a little bit hotter-wound tele cover the same basic ground, and as long as you're playing it a certain way they will twang just fine no matter what the bridge is made of. Of course it will be a fatter tone with a bit more bottom but nothing wrong with that. Turn up the amp treble a bit and you'll get in the zone.
    I used to think this stuff mattered more, but increasingly I realize it really is in the fingers, not the guitar.

9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Not necessarily...I have a Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe and it's plenty twangy on the bridge pickup--fatter and easier to overdrive than a standard Telecaster bridge pickup, but twangy, especially if you pick a little closer to the bridge.

10. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I think 'plenty' is way relative. I have a Pre-B1 in a Tele, closest response to a bridge P-90 in a Tele I submit. I also had the Squier P90 Tele [already forget what that was called] and stuck my Gibby P90s in it for sheits and giggles.

What passes for twang around here [TDPRI] a lot of times, and to me with my 6k Tele PUs in my #1, small pole bridge PU, leaves a pretty grey middle ground.

So one persons twang and all that. o_O

Fiesta Red likes this.
  11. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I have an Epi 56 RI Les Paul with P-90s. Nice guitar and I like the pickups. Also have a Hamer XT (Indonesian one) with P-90s and there's a P-90 in the neck position of my Duesenberg Starplayer TV.

They sound great "clean" but even nicer when they get dirty with a bit of drive.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  12. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    TV Jones T-90s, which are like P90s with a little Filtertron clarity tossed into the mix (the guitar sounds like a FAT tele, not a Les Paul Junior)

[​IMG]

EuroBailey, rze99, Fiesta Red and 4 others like this.
  13. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    I've been thinking about the P-90 in a tele bridge thing myself. I would copy every detail of how Leo designed the bridge plate to channel the magnetism from the under-pickup plate to the saddles. I would make a thin steel plate to attatch under the pickup. To my knowledge no one makes a bridge plate wide enough for a P-90, but I am used to making metal parts for hot rods. The bridge plate should be mild steel and the pickup should float on its screws that go to the bridge plate. When finished it should make the same boing sound that a tele does through an amp when you tap the bridge plate hard with your finger. I think this scheme would dramatically increase the twang. Anybody ever do this?

Side note: I spent a few months living in my elderly dad's basement playing a 1964 Gibson 160-E with a P-90 into an old Champ amp and knowing that Walter Fuller, inventor of the P-90 and the Charlie Christian Pickup, used to live next door. Lots of good ghosts here in Kalamazoo.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  14. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    P-90 in a Tele with a WIDE bridge plate and base plate. o_O

OK, but why. There are about a dozen options for just bolting in a variety of actual correct form PUs.

Ultimately, a tapped custom correct form PU makes the most sense form where I sit. But we like trying to reinvent things, don't we. ;)

Fiesta Red likes this.
  15. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2003
    Kittery, Maine
    A Les Paul Jr. or Special can twang and honk as much or more than a tele. People are so used to hearing them through a dimed Marshall or with tons of gain. Man, play one through a Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb and back off the volume a touch. It's all there.

Fiesta Red, LocoTex and StrangerNY like this.
  16. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Aw, nothing wrong with modding and experimenting. That's how our "classic" tele was invented.

As for a tapped bridge tele pickup, such a thing does exist, and sounds pretty cool... I would get one if I had a tele to put it in...

jonnyfez and Fiesta Red like this.
  17. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World

The Nashville Tele I recently bought (used) came with Fralin Steel Pole 42 (SP42) pickups which
    have 50% Tele/50% P-90 tone characteristics (according to their description). His SP43's are 25% Tele/75% P-90. Look them up, if you aren't familiar with them.

18. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I knew a guy here in Atlanta who played hard rock, he had an old blonde Tele and had a special bridge plate made, all metal, with a P90 in it. That thing sounded incredible... for hard rock.

I've been experimenting with my old 57 Junior, one big bad-assed P90, and it doesnt twang like you think it might. Its got waaay too much output for it, it overdrives the input of the amp immediately.

It still might work for my band, I've been toying with the idea off and on. I see guys using P90s in alt-southern-country-rock bands, and maybe one day I'll make it work for me.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  19. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    BIG difference between "alt-southern-county-rock" and (traditional) country. BIG. (with regards to "twang" and chicken pickin' type tones)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.