Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Overdrive: the most discussed pedal ever?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Marcelo R, May 17, 2017.

1. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    It keeps the economy going

waparker4 and Marcelo R like this.

2. Joshiquad

Joshiquad TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Wisconsin
    ...because I sound like carp without one. A little OD covers a multitude of sins.

Marcelo R likes this.

3. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    They're quick and easy to manufacture and market. Someone mentioned that an OD is usually a player's first pedal, but they also seem to be a manufacturer's first pedal as well. And, "overdrive" is a pretty broad term that can be used to describe not only OD's, but fuzzes, distortion boxes, preamps, and boosts.

Marcelo R likes this.

4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Yes and rightly so. It's the "straw that stirs the drink."

Now it's true that there are way too many overdrives. There are only so many ways you can sharpen a pencil. We need another overdrive like the Keith Richards needs another wrinkle.
    That could be said for delay, chorus or fuzz pedals.

Guitarists a whiney lot... "oooh, this is too bright" or some other such nonsense.

It's all subjective of course but, you can probably get your sound with any number of pedals. I recently put a Snouse Black Box 2, Timmy, BD-2 and a 5F6 on my pedal board and compared them. I could dial in the same sounds on all of them all the 5F6 had a slightly different character.

It made me realize that I just need to pick one and go with it. That's on my to do list.

Marcelo R likes this.

5. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I haven't played any of the newer Chinese ones, so I can't say for sure how they sound. I do know the original LM308 chip went out of production a decade or so ago, so the new ones use a different IC. Some people say it makes a difference, some say it doesn't. You can still get the old LM308 ones for around $100 or less though (I got one for $50 last year), so in my mind it's kind of a moot point. Unless you're on the road and need a replacement TODAY, anyway. And in that case you shoulda had a spare.

chemobrain likes this.

6. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    I don't get it either.
    When I first started playing electric (only 5 years ago, after 25-30 years of being the singer with an acoustic), I got a old Boss Blues Driver (BD-2).
    I have never GAS'd for another OD. The BD-2 gives me the crunch and dirt I want. I pair it with a bit of compression from a CS-3, and it sounds great. I found the settings I wanted back then, and have never touched the knobs since!
    Yea, I don't get what all the fuss is about, but - I am a singer that plays guitar, not a guitar player that sings, so it's just not all that important to me.

Marcelo R likes this.

7. atomfissure

atomfissure Tele-Holic

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    For me, I think it's a combination of two points that have already been made on this thread:
    1. There are so many different flavors
    2. That I am concerned about my base sound than any other warble, delay, noisemaker that I might kick on much less often.

For some, getting that base sound is a guitar into an amp, and they like that, and thats fine (until they jump on every pedal thread just to say that's how everyone should be doing it, but thats another rant for another thread).

That approach wouldn't always work for me. Some shows my amp is up at 7 or 8, others I can only get away with about 2 or 3. If it's a 7 or 8 show, great, I'll probably only need my boost. If it's a 2-3 show, I'd be stuck being dead clean, and that doesn't work for me. Overdrives offer me options to achieve a certain degree of consistency. OD pedals also help me to seek out and borrow elements of things I like that my amp and guitar knobs can't create. A little bit of a Vox's brattiness, a little bit of a cranked tweed's greasyness, etc.

OlRedNeckHippy and Marcelo R like this.

8. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Aug 30, 2008
    MI
    Overdriven amp is what defines Rock'n Roll sound, and overdrive pedals give you an instant access to that sound. All other effects are "enhancers", so to speak.

Marcelo R likes this.

9. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    do people really play out? like outside of a practice room? If it's true that's sad live anything, drama, music poetry, readings, public speaking is well beyond dead. Don't they know?If it's not on the internet/cyberspace
    www.//outthere.com or on a DVD what's the point?
    do you know how hard, do you have any idea just how it is to find a parking place?

beyer160 likes this.

10. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    You have no idea how much of my social life is dictated by the availability of parking. If Lennon and Harrison rose from the dead and I was given a ticket to a one-off Beatles reunion gig in the downtown area of my town, I'd probably stay home because parking down there is such a PITA.

chemobrain and Staypuft1652 like this.

11. zapata

zapata NEW MEMBER!

May 22, 2017
    USA
    overdrive is the most used because is the most useful guitar "effect", adding that extra oomph that amp makers seem to miss adding. and I dare to point to one pedal that goes beyond overdrive and adds some functionality in conjunction with a guitar amp - a midi overdrive guitar pedal (really? is this the only one?): becos ts8-ms -, if you go the midi route. this thing promises quite a lot, but I could only hear it on their fb page, where they also have a small video demoing the midi switching feature. it seems to be new anyway, so they may come up with some sound videos later, as they have good videos for the other products.

what do you think? isn't this tempting? adding midi switching to an amp, in such a small footprint, considering that overdrive is going to be used anyway in almost any setup... I think is smart to have all these things in one small pedal.

Marcelo R likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.