Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Overdrive pedal with modeling amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by DougM, Sep 28, 2017.

1. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have a Mustang GT40 which I think sounds a lot better than the Mustang 1 I had before it. I've found that I get a much better bluesy tone with a Strat or Tele by using a real overdrive between amp and guitar rather than the virtual pedals built into the amp. And I set the amp gain on the amp model I'm using just on the edge of breakup just as you would with a real tube amp (the BF Deluxe is my favorite amp model).
    I also have found that the GT sounds better with the bass cut global EQ rather than the flat global EQ, 'cause with it on flat the bass tends to muddy up the mids and highs like a set of stereo speakers with too much bass.

2. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    I've tried a bunch of pedals on mine with mostly good results. But I think the built-in stomps sound good too. Recently I've been playing with the Orangebox going into the Studio Preamp with scooped mids and some reverb. This approximates the setup in my teacher's studio, which sounds great.

3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    There is no harm in using external pedals with modeling amps. But just like normal amps, not all pedals sound good with all amps. It still takes trial and error.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Modeling amps are designed to replicate the function of tube amplifiers, and they will handle pedals nicely.

5. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I've gone both ways with the Mustang. Currently use it with my board and headphones for practice when the kids are sleeping. It works just fine. Some pedals behave differently, but it's not necessarily a bad thing.

6. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    I tried a few of the built-in pedals, but I ended up replicating my tube setup--my favorite real-life pedal into the Deluxe Reverb model on my Mustang III V2.

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    By "real overdrive" do you mean a distortion pedal set for low levels of distortion/gain, or an "overdrive" pedal set to generate distortion instead of overdrive the amp?

FWIW I've never liked the sound of any "overdrive" pedal distortion - I've tested countless ones and I find them to either have huge mid humps, too much treble or very artificial-sounding distortion (i.e. very unlike a cranked up amp).

If you're generating distortion before the amp you might try some lower-gain distortion pedals if you haven't investigated them before.

8. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    With the Mustang 3, I've found that the overdrive pedals I use the most ( Tube Screamer, Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic) works better through the FX loop rather than slamming the front end with a hot signal. I think it integrates better with the modeling technology. The over drive sounds more organic and adapts with the amp being modeled and with that specific tube circuit, both preamp and power tubes featured. With the deep editing, you can adjust the simulated tube biasing, etc. Put it all together with proper balancing and you can create some convincing tones.

Normally, with a tube or SS amp you wouldn't use the FX loop for overdrive.....but modeling amps are a horse of a different color. Again, this is with a Mustang and we all...or most of use know that there's major differences from one modeling amp to the next......a variety of price ranges, designs and quality. When you have FX loops with level controls, there's a lot more control over the signal being sent, plus you have level / gain control on the pedal itself. Work your distortion pedal into the FX loop on a modeler and see how she flies. This gives you a LOT of control and room to experiment so....YMMV. You might hate it and go back to plugging into the front or not at all.
    :)

Lambieka likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.