Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Overdrive/boost pedal - 60's garage/Jumping Jack Flash tone?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Danishboy, Jan 13, 2018 at 4:59 AM.

1. Danishboy

Danishboy TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Denmark
    Greetings

I play a Tele clone through a modded Wem Dominator MK3. Very touch sensitive on the clean channel and warm in its tone.

I'm playing a Bluesdriver through the clean channel in a band, and it sounds great ,but when playing Jumping Jack Flash and 60's garage, i'm kinnda missing something in my tone.

My Tele bridge pu doesn't quite come through, with overtones and that rattly metallic tone (on my guitar anyways. )
    I need some more treble, clarity but still overdrive tones and some ziiiiiing, but still maintaining the touch sensitivity from the amp.

Any offordable pedals outthere that will get me there?

A Fuzzface kinnda pedal, will soon be my number 2. pedal and will be first in the chain.

2. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Treble booster?

That's what I'd try to get more overdriven / top end.

MrHamburger and Danishboy like this.

3. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    If I recall from reading 'Life' by Keef, his Jumpin Jack Flash was acoustic guitar overdriving the desk input. But I may be wrong on that!

Strum und Twang likes this.

4. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    I'd heard that too.

5. Danishboy

Danishboy TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Denmark
    I think it's the intro part

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I find that my Peppermill TODD gives a good tone of this sort.

7. Danishboy

Danishboy TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Denmark
    I think i'll try to crank the tone knob on my Bluesdriver (just learned that this gives me more treble).

Install a Weber attenuator, to get natural tube break up, but still so my bandmates dont complain because of the volume (my amp is crazy loud after the mod. I have it on 8-9 o clock , and our dummer likes to hit them drums hard). Turn the gain on the Bluesdriver to Zero, now that i have tube break up, and have it work as a boost . Just learned this 5 min ago.
    Try out a treble boost as well, if the tone knob on the BD isn't enough.

Try out some of the pedals you are suggestion as well, if the natural tube breakup + attenuator + Bluesdriver doesn't seem to work out.

I'm new at this, so how does it sound? On paper, at least...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 6:38 AM

8. Danishboy

Danishboy TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Denmark

9. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I went to a clinic w/ the NA Ampeg rep, and the pedal is designed to sound like a early SVT, (all the amps on the '69 tour were SVT's guitar and bass alike) We didn't plug in a guitar but I have a "Classic" pedal which is suppose to sound like a B-15 (it does) I often use for guitar and it does the jazzy Ampeg thing real well. So I think they have nailed the sounds pretty well. I would think you could return it if it didn't work for you.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 9:48 AM
    Danishboy likes this.

10. Danishboy

Danishboy TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Denmark
    SVT? B-15? o_O

11. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    SVT= 300 watt Ampeg tube amp (usually used with one or two 8x10 cabs) the Stones entire back line on the '69 Ya Yas tour. Over the years it's become primarily a bass amp, but the original design concept was a all instrument arena amp.

B-15=Classic 35 or so watt "flip top bass amp" standard NY studio stuff for years, Bill Wymann often used one for rehearsals in the late '60s. The older Ampeg guitar combos such as the use a somewhat similar pre amp. But what you really need is a old cassette recorder..JJF wasn't direct direct in to the board, Keith has often claimed that he plugged in a portable cassette recorder first and ran the speaker out into a "old wooden cab" which I assume was some sort of vintage studio monitor then miked that. But the Ampeg stuff will help with the live sound of that era.

Danishboy likes this.

12. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Watch all the way through past "Stoner" mode to "Stones" mode

13. Danishboy

Danishboy TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Denmark
    I'll think a bit about what to do...

I need that attenuator to start with, to have that tube crunch. The pedals would be to blend beautifully with that natural crunch from the power tubes, and give me more flexibility, different drive/crunch tones, in terms of playing cover tracks from the 60's.

That Ampeg pedal could be something. You sound like you know what kind of tone i'm talking about. And sure enough, i can just return it, if it isn't the bees knees.

14. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Gee thanks, now I want now of those ;-)

Danishboy likes this.

15. po-boy

po-boy Tele-Meister

Oct 19, 2007
    dees, alabama

16. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    It was an acoustic overdriving a little Phillips tape recorder, per Keith. At least Keith’s part. He said that is what made the final track.

It will be difficult getting that tone exact. I am far more enameled of his tone on the Ya-Ya’s version.

17. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    Try plugging your guitar straight into your amp then sweep your hand across the knobs so they are all maxed. Now fine tune with your guitar controls.

Side note regarding the Bluesdriver: I used to own one. After a while I started noticing it sounded nasally, I later learned that is typical of opamp based circuits. The thing is though, that the pedal isn’t true bypass, so it’s doing that to your tone even when the effect is off.
    I’m not a true bypass snob, there are lots of buffered effects that I like to use that I feel add good things to the guitar signal. The BD takes away imo.

Danishboy likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.