Over my Katana 50 wanting all-tube bedroom amp, suggestions??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by daza152, Jan 13, 2019.

1. daza152

daza152 Tele-Meister

Hey guys I was highly recommended this katana 50 amp to the point everywhere I went someone said get it. So I did, and as I have had an absense of 5 years no playing, so thought looked and sounded ok plus wasn't sure if I was gonna stick with it again. Now just over 3 months of playing more than once a day everyday have improved so much I have out grown this amp it just can't deliver, as for connectiond to the computer 'Forget about it'. need to be a computer genuis to work that out. I'm a traditional sort of guy with traditional love of classic rock. I own a MIJ Strat and a MIA Tele both great guitars, and I play a lot of Gilmour and Knopfler, so I was considering the Fender Blues Junior IV in Tweed of course (old school) your thoughts please...I should add that I only play at home to bedroom tube amp suggestions thanks.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    nosuch likes this.
  2. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Unless you want to just play clean, 15 watts seems a bit high to me for a bedroom amp ( But then, on the other hand, I used to have a Hot Rod Deluxe in my bedroom)

I guess it also depends on how deeply your significant other, if any, sleeps . . .

Anyway, I now prefer my bedroom tube amps to be 5 watts or less.

Currently using the Carr Mercury on low setting for bedroom volume.

slauson slim and daza152 like this.
  3. daza152

daza152 Tele-Meister

I hear ya, I play mainly clean but want fender tube clean that "thick saturated" sound, blues and solos, I could add a pedal for crunch (slight crunch, Bryan Adam's crunch sounds good to me) I play the katana at 0.5W mainly which is good enough 25w too loud and 50w did that once. thanks appreciate the idea of 5W. what is a good all tube amp at 5W besides the Blackstar HT5R?

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Well to me "thick saturated" it the opposite of "Fender tube clean", but if there's a shop within 50 miles that has Orange tube amps you should check those out.

I've bought two Blues Jrs and sold them both, great for a week then not so much.
    I also have 18w Marshall clones, but I'm playing through an Orange OR15 a lot these days and it does a very good lower volume thick saturated sound on the 7w setting, plus a great huge fat yet sparkling sound on the 15w setting.

I've owned most of the classic Fender and Marshall amps and the recent Orange tube amps are really really good.
    You may not like the OR15 clean sound, but it's better if you turn the guitar vol down a bit, which allows you to adjust the distortion from the guitar.
    No pedal gets as good a sound IME.

There are also Rocker series from Orange with clean and dirty channels.
    Try to play one and see if you like it.

daza152 likes this.
  6. daza152

daza152 Tele-Meister

Hi thanks for the advice really gonna consider that I like the look of the orange amps are they more typically suited to getting a British type thing happening? like a vox is meant to apparantly? I will try one out thanks...adding that to the growing list to try., In NZ we have the Rockshop which is New Zealand's largest music store has it all. cheers. are therer Orange amps I should avoid...like the crush i think they are called?

7. mojavedesert

mojavedesert NEW MEMBER!

Get a fender champ. They are the go-to for recording. Look up Clapton, Joe Walsh, a bunch of other use a Black face Champ in the studio.

" It seems he used a 60s Tele straight into a BF Fender Champ. ... to get very close to Joe Walsh's tone on The James Gang's "Funk #49."

hdvades, RadioFM74 and trouserpress like this.
  8. drewcp

drewcp TDPRI Member

Special 6, or the Ultra Version

johnnyshaka and blues bondsman like this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

The Orange Crush are the SS amps and are actually pretty good, reportedly gig worthy sound.
    Otherwise maybe avoid the OR120 as it might break too many windows?

But yeah, British sound but many consider British cleans to be far superior to Fender cleans.
    British distortion is so good though that you may never turn it down...

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've not found any small amp that sounds good. I've happily gone the route of buying large Fender amps (Twin, Super, Vibrolux) and using a pedal for dirt. Just because you don't need the max volume doesn't mean they don't sound superior at low volumes.

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Maybe it doesn't mean that, but isn't it EXACTLY what the the conventional wisdom is about tube amps? I don't claim to know, because I've never owned anything over 15 watts, but I've read right here countless times that tube amps don't start to "sing" until they hit a certain point on the dial, either because of the circuitry or because of the speaker characteristics...

12. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Contrary to some people's opinions, I had a Peavey Classic 30 which sounded great at low volume. It has a nice sounding clean channel, and the drive channel can go from bluesy to Marshall grind depending on how far you wind up the gain. At the time it was the same price as the Fender Blues Deluxe (the forerunner to the Hot Rod Deluxe, 'cause it didn't have the extra Hot Rod gain stage), and I thought the Peavey was more versatile and sounded better. I haven't played the BJ IV, but from the YouTube videos I've seen, it sounds better to me than the III. The Vox AC10 is a lot of amp for little money also.

stratoman1, fidopunk and daza152 like this.
  13. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

Moosie has a point. I have a Tweed Champ which I just picked up and I like it a lot. My other amp is a Louis Electric Road Runner more watts, bigger speaker bigger cabinet. I plugged into it after only playing the Champ for a few weeks. There’s no comparison. The Road Runner is just a superior amp. It sounds killer at low volume but can get loud. The Champ is perfect for what it is a small tube practice amp. I’m still using it. I can wholeheartedly recommend a Tweed Champ. It’s perfect for what you’re looking for. Not saying a a Princeton Reverb or Tweed Deluxe couldn’t work.

daza152 likes this.
  14. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

If you're using the Katana at 0.5w and 25 solid-state watts is too loud the Blues Junior is going to be completely too loud. Something like the Vox AC4 might work except it's Vox-y. Ditto the AC10 which - both those amps have 0.5 watt and 1 watt settings IIRC

The Joyo Sweet Baby is a take on a 5 watt Fender Champ. But even that is pretty loud. I have a 2 watt Fender Greta as my breakfast bar amp. It's great but very small amount of clean.

But this would probably work for you - and there's a Bassman flavoured version. Couple it with a small speaker.

15. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hiya.

I know you said Fender, but this is the internet, so someone has to recommend something different just cos they own it. It's okay, I'll fall on my sword for everyone :)

Anyway, try the Vox AC4 range if you get the chance. They sound pretty good at low volume. The hand wired AC4HW-1 (what I have) is ridiculously, astoundingly good, with its different circuitry, better made and larger cabinet and greenback.

Pax/
    Dean

daza152 likes this.
  16. daza152

daza152 Tele-Meister

is 5 watt of tube power (loudness) equivelant to 5watt of solid state (loudness)??

MatsEriksson likes this.
  17. daza152

daza152 Tele-Meister

I found a Orange OR15, used for $700 it's a head right? still need a cabinet for it? is 15watts too loud for a small bedroom?

18. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

Since you didn't state your budget, and maximum price you want to spend, it seems that you've detected of what is called "the slow dawning" of certain amps. If you don't mind stepping up in price, the recent all tube traditional amp HEAD that has got some notority are the english VICTORY brand of amps. White colored heads. They do combos too, but I think they're out of your range. The one VICTORY everybody raves about these days is at 44 watts:

VICTORY V40 Duchess

[​IMG]
    https://www.victoryamps.com/v40-the-duchess

Traditional ONE CHANNEL clean, almost no breakup into distortion even if you really tax it and crank it. No tremolo, just a reverb (digital) and small amount of knobs. This version does not come in a combo version as of yet. On the back panel, you can bring it down to bedroom levels, 7 watt, or 0.5 watt and so on.

Price: no american dollar price found yet. Since it seems to not have it the shores across the pond as of yet. Private import, ordering from britain is the only way to go it seems. But except around 1.200 USD.

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/victory-v40-the-duchess-617477

"The V40 is a serious piece of work, built to a high standard and just as ready for non-stop professional touring as it is for your bedroom"

ifallalot likes this.
  19. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

20. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

If you have an amp with a master volume, then you'll be able to get preamp grind at any volume. You just won't be able to get the power tubes cooking, but even a one watt tube amp is going to be too loud for that at low volume.
    The Vox AC4TV has no master, and even on the 1/4 watt setting is way too loud for bedroom volume.

stratoman1 and twotone60 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.