Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Outrageous Craigslist pricing; do you contact or just mark as prohibited?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by brokenbones, Jun 19, 2017.

1. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Holic

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    That is the question.:confused:

flyingbanana likes this.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I've run into this problem myowndamnedself. I would sincerely love to have a new Lincoln MKX, I'd be just as proud of it as Mathew McConaughey seems to be in all those Lincoln commercials. Only problem is Matt doesn't seem to give a damn about how much I'd like to have a Lincoln, and neither does Mr. Lincoln. I'd think three hundred dollars would be plenty to pay for something that's probably not going to be worth a heck of a lot in only about ten years or so. Why I'd even trade my old Tele for one of them babies straight across. Them danged fools though want $50,000 for one, I'm seriously thinking about flagging 'em as PROHIBITTED! That'd teach 'em a lesson.

3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I was thinking exactly that. My wife once insisted on selling our boat. I finally gave in and offered it on consignment through the local dealer for a ridiculous price, figuring I could milk this for another season or maybe two. No word of a lie: the dealer calls me on the way home to tell me the boat was sold.

Henry, soulman969 and xafinity like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    priced fantastically high? not for me then
    I mind my own business, Ive got my own fantasies to promote.

6. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Dec 28, 2007
    Rockledge Florida

7. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    THIS!!!

I'm said bozo!

Unless they say price is firm, I ALWAYS consider the price must be negotiable. I almost always assume people who don't list price as firm has built in some wiggle room in their list price and you won't know how much wiggle room that is unless you start low and work your way up. They could be tacking on anywhere from 40-60% over their asking price expecting people to negotiate down.

I think I've mentioned this before in another thread, but just a few weeks back there was a guy selling a practically new Husqvarna snow blower (used only once and looked showroom new). He had it listed at $300 (though they retail for $700+). I expected a little back and forth negotiating so I went in low at $150 figuring we would meet somewhere in the middle around $225. The guy said "I'll take it" at $150. SCORE. Unfortunately for guitars there are no "off-seasons", but there are other reasons someone might accept a low offer... especially if the NEED the money.

So if I feel like negotiating when I post an item, I'll pad the asking price knowing that there will be some back and forth. Most times I'll just put a fair price and list it as firm though. I almost never offer asking price if it isn't listed as firm. The key is knowing the value of the item (doing some research), knowing how much you are willing to pay for it (how much is it worth to YOU), starting under what you value it at and never going more than what you value it at. It's the art of the deal.

8. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    Ask them if they can get someone to autograph it for you. Like, I dunno, the drummer from Foghat, maybe?

rich815 likes this.

9. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Yep.

xafinity likes this.

10. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    while it may be unethical to overprice something, it certainly isnt illegal or prohibited.
    i usually ignore those kinds of posts but i have, in the past, found links to places where the exact same item, brand new, is priced much less, and sent those links to them. ive gotten back snarky replies and ive also gotten back replies thanking me because they didnt know, and they changed the price to match the market.
    i once was thinking about selling my ac30, but didnt really want to, but put an ad up anyway asking the full amount of a brand new one. i guess if someone had paid that price i would have sold it, but no one did, so i still have it, and im glad.

11. rich815

rich815 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I saw that snow blower story. You are the bozo I was thinking of! :D;)

brobar and jackinjax like this.

12. rich815

Slow ride. Take it easy.

13. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    GUILTY! =)

But guilty with an extra $150 in pocket because I took the chance to ask for a lower price. Worst they can do is say no!

14. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    First I check to be sure I'm not on "Reverb"....
    Then I move along.

15. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    Why would you do anything? Just relax.

It isn't a personal affront to you is it? Move on, nothing to see here.

RedRock and william tele like this.

16. jackinjax

jackinjax Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Guy walks into a new car dealership and makes a beeline for the biggest, shiniest car on the showroom floor.
    A car salesman makes a beeline for the same car. He says, "She's beaut, right?". Then he starts rattling off all the bells and whistles "she" has.
    The guy nods his head and says, "So, how much you asking".
    Car salesman makes a show of reaching into his pockets for a little pad, pencil, and a pocket calculator. Makes a marks in his pad, punches some numbers, makes some more marks, looks the guy over, and finally says, "$169,896.00".
    Guy is stunned. After a couple of seconds he says, "This exact same model is in the papers everyday for around $54,000. Do you think I'm some kind of idiot?".
    Salesman smiles really big and says, "Oh, no sir, but I didn't want to miss the opportunity if you were."

P Thought, Henry and ukepicker like this.

17. tahoebob54

tahoebob54 Tele-Meister

I sometimes I sell things on CL at a high price just to see if anyone will give me my price. If anyone marked any of my high priced item as probitied I would look at that person as a real jackass. I just sold a Epiphany LP special for about $50.00 more than it was worth. Its not my job to tell people what they want to spend on my overpriced items.

18. rich815

You did well.

brobar likes this.

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Haven't we had the same "discussion" (ridiculous question...:rolleyes:) just recently ?

There is a house for sale on my block and the seller is asking over $400,000.

The avg selling pricing is $200,000-ish - on a good day.

Can I report him ?

Knock on his door and ask if he's crazy ?

I mean - it's just ridiculous !!!!

Can't I flag him ?!

Post a flag on his lawn ?!

There's gotta be something I can do ?!

How about if I just sit back and hope that he gets anywhere close to his asking as it of course will benefit me ?

Yeah - that's what I think I'll do...

20. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    It's wasting your time. Move on.

21. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I guess I have to ask what gives you the authority to "flag" a listing as prohibited just because you feel the price is too high. Are you a CL cop?

In this case I can't see how that listing could be considered to violate any rules. So in essence it's you who've violated the rules by flagging it. Are you somehow trying to exact revenge against a seller whose insulted your private sense of fair play in his pricing.

If something is priced too high don't buy it! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If your local market is selling ground beef for $5.69 a pound and you believe top price should be $3.99 per pound do you cry foul, complain to the manager, then do an editorial write up about it in your local shopper guide?

Do as you will but picking fights with sellers over their asking price in lieu of offering what you're willing to pay or simply moving on to another more reasonably priced listing is a foolish waste of time and marks you as the trouble maker in my book.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.