Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Output Transformer question

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Meteorman, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    I'm building a Supro S6424 clone, and am using a ClasssicTone 40-18062 power transformer, which is listed as a 10watt PT. Somehow I ordered the ClassicTone 40-18061 OT, which is listed as their 35watt Valco-style OT. (Pretty sure I meant to order their 10-watt OT 40-18063, but ...).
    So will the 35watt OT perform in this circuit ? Or am I stressing some part of the circuit to drive it?
    Would it eliminate any chance of breakup grit?
    Thanks for any insight.
    /mike

2. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2004
    It will work, but looking at the tube plots, the 5K primary may give you reduced wattage (vs. 7.5K)... you may have to tweak bias a little.

But you also what are usually "benefits" of larger iron — bigger, tighter low-end; less compression; etc. However, most of this works against the nature of why these amps are so popular...we want the amp to compress, we don't want the bass to be heavy, etc.

What's better is subjective. Small iron is part of what gives these amps their nature that made them famous...yet, these are the exact same things -- headroom, compression, low end -- that are the first complaints of people who are more in love of the idea of vintage small amps than the actual amp itself.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Meteorman, FenderLover and Wally like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.