Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Output transformer question: 6BQ5 vs 6V6

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Diverted, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Diverted

Diverted TDPRI Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Bristol RI
    HI all,

I have read that output transformers designed for 6BQ5 push pull circuits can also be paired with 6V6s.
    I have several output transformers from organ amplifiers; they are Hammond AO-24158 tranformers. I don't know the specs on them (haven't been able to find primary impedances or any other info online) but I am wondering if, in general, an output transformer like this would work with a pair of 6V6s?
    If anyone has the specs for this tranformer, let me know. Other than it having an 8 ohm secondary, I have no info on it. Thanks!

Ted

2. dan40

dan40 Tele-Holic

Aug 19, 2015
    Richmond Va
    I have an old Hammond organ OT that I used in a build that will run either el84's or 6v6's (separate sockets and cathode resistor though) and it has been fine for several years now. The recommended plate load for both tube types is so close that you will be fine using that OT.

Edit: I believe that these are listed at 7500-8000 ohm and are designed for use with a pair of el84 output tubes. It will be perfect for 6v6 also.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Diverted likes this.

3. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Any idea what chassis or organ model they came from? I know the AO-43 from an L100 is 9.2k:8 from my build.

Those two tubes are pretty similar for impedance needs, but the 6V6 is more tolerant of higher voltages.

4. Diverted

Diverted TDPRI Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Bristol RI
    Great, that's the information I was looking for.
    Sorry, no I don't know what amps they came from. I was given them in a load of miscellaneous chokes, power transformers, etc....
    Thanks for the help!

5. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    I need to get a close up pic or actually pull the chassis to confirm, but I think those transformers are from the same chassis mine is. I found a pic of my chassis before conversion, and the number looks to be the same as yours. Those are sweet dual EL84 output trannies.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.