Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Out of Curiosity Because Inquiring Minds Want to Know

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Flynztone, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

I been hanging around here and trying to learn how to build a Tele and have found a wealth of info indeed. But, what I can't seem to figure out here is who and what type of people mostly hang out here. Luthiers and craftsmen who also dabble in and/or play guitar? Or, is it mostly guitar players and musicians who want to build guitars and instruments? Or a combination of the two?

I haven't been able to come to any conclusions by reading these threads but my guess would be it's mostly craftsmen as opposed to professional musicians but if I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time!

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm definitely a hobbiest in my building and playing. My education is in electronics, and I repair industrial machinery for a living.

3. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Tele-Afflicted

I am outing myself as a hobbiest. Background in metal working and electronics though I make my living from something totally different. I think you will find a huge variety of people here. Sometimes it even feels it is including folks from the big companies who do "R&D crowd sourcing" for their next product line. :D

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

I taught industrial arts for 30 years and started building instruments at that time too. I have played guitar for 43 years, but only played in a band- like setting for about 7 of those. This is my hobby. I don't want to ruin it by making it a career.

6. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Pro musician for 30 years. Semi-Pro for another 10.
    I'm still in the game.
    I tinker with inexpensive instruments.

7. Mojotron

Mojotron Friend of Leo's

I think that's a pretty common sentiment. This is the wrong part of TDPRI to find pro musicians - I'm guessing in this part of TDPRI we spend a lot more time making guitars than playing them.

8. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Tele-Afflicted

I can confirm the part: ....we spend a lot more time making guitars than playing them :D

9. 4string

4string Friend of Leo's

I think you can find people on this forum that are at or near the pinnacle in each category. I have no idea if anyone here is at the top of both heaps.

I can build better than I can play, and I've only built a hand full, so I'm a hobbiest on both levels.

I'm a Tile Setter by trade, and Stone Fabricator for a collective 38 years. At that I have few equals (at least in N. California) if I don't say so myself (and I do).

Can't be good at everything.

10. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

Every hobby I have ever had ended up in some form or another a part of my career path. I have played and performed professionally for approx 35 years and I too am still very active in the game. I don't play in the honky tons till 1:30 or 2:00 am anymore and I don't work for clock watchers either. I perform mostly jazz in a dinner club setting in the early evening hours at this point. Still love some good ole Allman Bros etc but I ain't gonna kill myself for peanuts in a honky Tonk anymore. Also do a lot of recording and session work.

My main business is network administration which used to be a hobby as well and now I absolutely hate it.

Wanted to get into luthiery years ago but could never afford the tools (not sure I can now) but I finally bit the bullet and outfitted a woodworking shop

11. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

That was my general assumption but wasn't certain and it stands to reason the builders, craftsmen and luthiers would be in the DIY section for sure. I was just curious is all no foul nor harm!

12. jscout17

jscout17 TDPRI Member

I am a hobbyist at both. I build because I like to make things. I play music now and have been playing in some way shape or form for the last 20 years, never professionally. I think I st.arted building because I wanted my two best friends ("making stuff" and "music") to get married and have babies.

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

I dabble in everything. I'm a dabblist.

14. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

We must be brothers!

15. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

+1!

I was a musician first, but after spending three fun years in a college jam band, I managed to get public gigging out of my system. For ten years after college I was a custom picture framer that specialized in hand made mouldings, hand wrapped linen mats, gold leaf, the whole nine...

I still call myself a musician, but its totally a hobby now. Just like my guitar making. An enjoyable way to spend time. I love it!

16. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

I worked on forklifts, electric mostly and self-guided vehicles and production robots for 25 yrs. Except for the robots and some of the people, I hated everything but the challenge. My kids had to eat...................I went from wooden boats to this...............cheaper. Had to do something for sanity's sake and this became a true love :)

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Poster Extraordinaire

As a retired engineer, I lurk in here, because I'm a wannabe. I wannabe (and trying very hard) a good guitarist and a probably wannabe amp/pedal/guitar builder. I'll probably start with a DIY pedal kit to get my feet wet.

I'm learning a heck of a lot, lurking in here among these very talented people.

18. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

I'm a T-shirt printer and graphic 'arteest'. I like building/making things and I make stuff I'm interested in. Guns, cars, leather stuff and for the last 12 years or so, guitars.
    Music, like guitar building, started as a hobby and has grown into a semi-pro thing.

19. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

I am an Animal Scientist, or at least, that is what my degrees say.

20. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've been in medical device quality for 26 years. An OCD occupational match made in Heaven if there ever was one.............. One grandfather was a toolmaker from Germany and the other a very gifted stone mason specializing in fieldstone and dry wall. It all makes sense now............ Both were also musical.

Rob

21. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

I can relate to the OCD thing Barncaster and a wise man once told me to "Take Everything in Life in Moderation, sometimes including Moderation itself" and it seems the only part of that advise I have ever been able to follow is the "Including Moderation Itself" portion.

Very cool to see the different backgrounds of everyone who has chosen to reply to this thread and it's a refreshing forum of people dedicated to the same thing and the willingness for those with more experience to graciously give of their time and expertise helps to restore a bit of my faith in humanity. Which is something I have struggled with for years.

I have a free day or two here to get humping on organizing my woodshop etc that is unless the dreaded phone call comes in from one of my clients with a network down or what have you. I shouldn't complain as networks and infrastructure have been very good to me and it's also been fairly lucrative. My degree is in programming however I somehow settled into infrastructure go figure. I have, however, remained a guitarist throughout it all and although I no longer tour nor do I keep the later hours if I can help it, my guitar playing still comes first and always has. I practice everyday religiously and am a fairly advanced guitarist.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.