Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Other than Ole Hank...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by tfarny, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:55 PM.

1. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I've been listening to a bunch of the real old stuff recently: Patsy Cline, Buck Owens, Don Gibson, Lefty Frizzell, and so on. For the most part it still seems to me Hank Williams was head and shoulders above everybody in terms of songwriting - they've each got some good stuff and a couple of songs that really stand the test, but none of them can boast two dozen + absolute stone cold classic songs. Cash is right there obviously, but in the context of this other stuff even he seems a bit like a Johnny Come Lately. I guess that's why Hank is the one who is still a household name, but there must be more.

Who am I missing? Looking for song recs, '47-'65, true classic country. I don't have a deep grounding in the era so I know there's a lot I could be missing.

telestratosonic and Matt G like this.
  2. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

May 17, 2015
    Snowlake Arizona
    M
    Hag & Possum

Ben-Zion and blackguts like this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I'd suggest digging further back, with guys like Jimmie Rogers, Uncle Dave Macon, Emmett Miller, if you really want to start getting to the roots of this stuff, back when it first starting getting to be popular music beyond just appalachin folk

stnmtthw and gkterry like this.
  4. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Obviously I know Hag, he's at Hank / Cash / Willie level. Who is Possum?

5. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

May 17, 2015
    Snowlake Arizona
    George Jones

Deeve likes this.
  6. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    Jerry Lee, there was some talk as to wether he wrote the tune the end of the road. Seems like he got inspired by it to write his own tune.

Other than that, well Woody guthrie. He s not often mentionned, but hey, he was there.

Otherwise, you ve got Hank 3, which is nice if you want to try your chicken picking;

stnmtthw and Robert H. like this.
  7. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Apr 28, 2009
    Minnesota
    Hawkshaw Hawkins, Hank Snow, Roy Acuff, many more...

8. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France

because Hasil was one of the early psychobilly guy. When he heard Hank Williams on the radio, he thought Hank was doing it all on his own. Of course he was not, and it gave birth to a madman. he wrote so mny great songs !

Manual Slim and blowtorch like this.
  9. boop

boop TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2018
    Massachusetts
  10. RedHills

RedHills Tele-Meister

Aug 13, 2018
    Fl
    Absolutely amazing the part in music history he (Hank) played in such a short time...he only lived to be 29!

11. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    and wrote 800 songs

12. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
  13. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Indiana
    I love the period that the OP is asking about. That said, I always take exception to those who consider Hank Williams to be the songwriting pinnacle. IMO he doesn't come remotely close to Haggard or Willie Nelson or Kristofferson as a writer (I know they come later than Hank chronologically). These three are / were equally prolific, and they offer SO much more diversity in lyrical content and instrumental arrangements. Hank's singing is terrific, but his song topics are very one dimensional.

14. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    Sweden
    Young Billy Joe Shaver & Ole Hank...

bender66, elihu and brookdalebill like this.
  15. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2018
    Halfway, MO
    Try some Ernest Tubb and Louvin Bros.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.