Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Original parts to a 71 Tele?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Huddy, May 10, 2018.

1. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    So I scooped up this Tele last night... Total butcher job on the HH but it's got some swagger to it and I kinda dig it. Neck code is 3 Feb 71B. 1525984206019.jpg

Are these 1Meg CTS pots original? Date code says '66 which from what I understand was common. Nylon shafts on them which I didn't know was a thing on teles - maybe it's not.

Also the cap is a ceramic disc .05uF and there's a single .001uF ceramic disc between the volume input and wiper lugs. Either original?

1525984622422.jpg 1525984633781.jpg

2. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Thanks all in advance!

3. MatthewK

MatthewK Tele-Holic

Jul 29, 2009
    Hobart, Australia
    All looks good apart from the 0.001uF treble bleed cap (which I assume was added to prevent the humbuckers being too dark), I reckon. Many people know more than I do!

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    The plastic shaft pots usually date from later, mid 70s .The switch to pot wiring is original,. 05 cap not the treble bleed.

At least you can do what you like with it. The finish is original. Looks like ash/blonde.

5. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    Very nice guitar.. You might even prefer the HBs.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Fender instroduced the .001mfd treble bleed circuit on Teles circa 1966-1967 when the 1meg pots were brought into use. The 1meg pots were used for more treble if you can believe that!!!!!
    Those pickup leads should have been insulated with some tubing when they were installed in order to prevent a grounding out of the circuit.
    What do the bottoms of those pickups look like??? Do you have close ups of that??

Smiff likes this.

7. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    My '73 Custom has a mix of 2 metal shaft and 2 plastic shaft pots. All four are 1m, but I can't remember if its the tone or volume pots that have the plastic shafts.

8. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    So the .001 disc is original?

It doesn't play well with the pickups... Very thin sounding at 6-7 and lower.

The pickups are a T Top and a Tim Shaw (rough cast magnet and plastic spacers).

I flipped the volume/tone to have a correct reverse plate and insulated the outer braids with heat shrink.

Tone pot is plenty scratchy and switch is intermittent in the neck and neck doesn't function in middle.

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I agree with you about the .001mfd bypass cap. Even with the ‘usual’ 150kohm resistor in parallel, that bypass maintains the high end but loses some of the minds. I use larger value caps and smaller value resistors to voice the bypass for the particular pickup/s. When you find the right combination, the volume pot will maintain the same essential tone at every point along the sweep.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.