Original or JBL,s ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Squiretele777, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Squiretele777

Squiretele777 TDPRI Member

I have a 1972 Fender Pro Reverb Amp,it could use new speakers,i,m undecided on original speakers,or JBL,s...Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'd use just about any good speaker BUT JBL's. In both Twins and Pros they tend to have overly-strong, harsh top end. They don't break up smoothly, and the harshness is really accentuated when mild distortion is used (overdrive-type).

In order of preference:

I like the Tone Tubby Chicago Blue (which needs less break in time than most) and a new, lighter-magnet one called the Blue Sky (I have a pair in a '61 Twin and they're stunning - and not pricey).

The Celestion Creambacks are excellent in a Pro as well, as are the Warehouse Speaker copy of them.

All of those will be warmer and smoother sounding than a JBL with good headroom. Original speakers would Oxfords or Utahs. The Oxford 12L6 or 12T6 CAN be a good speaker - or a mediocre one. It's luck of the draw, but trying to find originals would be tough.

I've come across a few with CTS ceramic 12's, which IMO are usually very good. But also really hard to find from that period - although similar Weber ceramics get fairly close.

Some 72's had Utahs, which would be an absolute waste of money IMO - just not very good speakers. And I would absolutely NOT use reissue Jensens of any kind - they're not reissues, they just have the same numbers and very general specs. ButI don't have ANY players request them when I'm replacing speakers or "dialing in" an amp. IMO they're just cheap replacements.

Hope that helps.

Squiretele777 likes this.
  3. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

My friend has a twin with JBL's. It is ungodly heavy, as in a real pain to move. The tone is extremely clear and in your face. There is no speaker distortion until you get to a volume that is inhumane unless you are in a very large room (or outdoors). If you have played through an amp set up like this and liked it, then go for it, but it is a whole different animal than amps where the speaker is a partner in loosening up the tone.
    In 1970, JBL's were the hot ticket to get yourself heard above the chaotic jams and high-powered but horrible PAs that were everywhere.

4. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I like the JBLs myself. I find that they work great when you're recording and playing with other instruments.

If you just play by yourself maybe something else would be better? I don't know.

5. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

how do you know that you need to change speakers? do you hear voice coil rub? if you hear a sound, it may be the amp.

jbl speakers are very heavy and very clean. depending upon how you play, they will either be great or terrible for you. do you have any other speaker(s) you can sub in just to test? like silverface said, finding the original ones is difficult and a shot in the dark as to how good they sound now.

play music!

6. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

What do you play and how do you play it? Clean? Single coils? Metal-level distortion?
    What are some of your favorite guitar sounds? Are there any that are difficult to dial in with your current rig?

I don't know enough about speakers to advise you, but if you email the answers to those questions to CJ at TedWeber.com you will get good advice. https://www.tedweber.com/contacts/

7. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Cali Webers I have heard are great choices.

8. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

In a Pro I think the JBLs would be overkill. And, as noted, they really do weigh a ton. I like Eminence Legends in those Fenders. I think that is very close to the original sound. Weber Calis are a good choice as well. Those folks at Weber are very knowledgeable.

9. Squiretele777

Squiretele777 TDPRI Member

Thank you everyone,very much appreaciated,I play mostly country,some blues,i use mostly a tele squire,with hotrail dragonfire pickups,which I love,and price is very good,but really apprieciate all your knowledge on this subject,i really love fender country Twang.

10. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Ι also had a 1972 Pro Reverb.
    The Eminence Tonkers were SUBLIME in this amp and extremely versatile.

11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

They're insanely expensive, but the EVM 12L speakers have the efficiency and balls of a JBL, without the harshness. You can find used ones for around $200. I love them.

They're just as heavy as JBLs, you will need a forklift to move it around.

Bob M likes this.
  12. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

I have a '68 Vibrolux Reverb with a set of JBLs. As others have said, they are indeed very loud and clean. I have to have my amp cranked to a deafening volume before I'll get any kind of dirt out of it. Its a nice blank slate for pedals, though...and having the headroom is nice, so it really depends on what sort of music you're playing. If you want balls out rock and roll sounds you might want to consider a looser, less efficient speaker.

Lawdawg likes this.
  13. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

I love JBLs in fenders (and altecs if i could find them) in a live situation gives then huge kick. So I shoehorned an E110 in a superchamp X2 to make it giggable and keep up. Tried to lift it , returned to stock............

noah330 likes this.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I am a big fan of Eminence. They have a wide variety of speakers that will do a great job, and they are a bargain.

They have a new series called Wheelhouse that uses a hemp cone and neodynium magnets that is pretty interesting....
    but they also have every flavor of American and Brit speakers. \

If you want to have easy attenuation, you might check out their Maverick speaker in the Patriot series. It has a knob on the back of the speaker that allows you to attenuate volume. It is in the Patriot series which means it has a cleaner, American voice as opposed to British.

https://www.eminence.com/guitar-bass/

15. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I think they're heavier. I have a pair of 4x12 (Marshalls) with EVs in them. They're great live speakers on a big stage and are very directional - which can be great. Those cabs probably weigh like 400lbs each.

I don't care for the sound of those cabs on smaller stages or at home, but in the right application they do the job. IIRC some Mesa Boogies came with them. I don't think I would put them in a Twin but YMMV.

Blue Bill likes this.
  16. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Has the amp been serviced? I ask because often an amp with old filter caps and such can make good speakers sound bad, farty bass for instance.
    If that's ok, maybe have a look at the Eminence FDM speakers, they've got that adjustable sensitivity dial on the back. I've got limited experience with just a Maverick in a Deluxe Reverb but I really like it. It's nice to turn the speaker down and the amp up more, even for clean tone.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.