Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Original 51 NoCaster advice wanted

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Twisted Kerle, Feb 2, 2016.

1. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Wow that's quite an improvement!

Twisted Kerle likes this.

2. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    My '53 got an appraisal of 18-20k without the original pick guard and would have been near 25k with that last piece original. I was told to insure for 20k, plus 1.5k for the Gibson GA-90 amp it came with. A Nocaster should be higher than a '53, although mine hasn't had any work done on the wiring or pickups and I have the original Fender case. The frets are probably about the same as yours.

3. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    OK, well the sun came out today, so I snapped a few more pictures for you. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Superrock, netgear69 and morkov like this.

4. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Thanks for answering.
    I really hope your frets aren't as bad as mine.
    If I post some edge shots my nocaster, would you copy them and post shots here with your blackguard? There are a few questions about my front and top edges.
    How's she playing btw?

5. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Playability update:
    My high E tuning peg is loose and rattles around. Still works fine.
    The blender pot doesn't seem to do much of anything. I am using small, cheap amps tho.
    Unfortunately the frets are questionable. I am trying to find someone who can actually play guitar instead of playing WITH the guitar like I do. I still don't know any real players down here to ask, so I'm am looking for volunteers in my area... Grin

6. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Boston, MA, USA
    With your pictures as a guide I can post some of my Tele, sure.

Mine is playing fine. The frets have some worn spots, but nothing requiring re-leveling. I do have to make some more room on my wall, though. I am in Paul Gilbert's rock guitar school and I won his Ibanez PGM80P guitar that he used on the last Mr. Big tour. I am thinking it will replace the Strat on the wall and the Strat, being a cheaper MIM model, can live on a floor stand. The Ibanez is natural wood color so it should look good next to the blackguard.

7. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Wow... Let me know when you post a picture of em! Good score for sure... Your getting a real nice stable together. Congrats!
    Thank you, & I will post some pics soon.

8. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    Good to see you have been reunited with the guitar congrats !!!

9. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    The farther along you get, the more that thing mesmerizes me. I think your grandfather would be happy to see it carry on.

As to the blend, it can be more subtle than a tone control. From what I have read, that's one reason it was replaced with a tone.

"Don Randall pointed out that the tone control made a more dramatic change than the blend control's subtle shading. Most buyers in the unsophisticated 1950s guitar world were oblivious to the musical nuance and wanted a knob that made a noticeable difference regardless of quality."

From Fender, The Sound Heard Round The World, by Richard R. Smith

Last edited: May 19, 2016

10. Superrock

Superrock Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2012
    Midwest
    the whole package is epic, but i must offer, that neck looks simply amazing!!!!! great work all around.... you are right on the money with the whole vibe and ongoings... cheeeeeers!!!!! :)

11. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    So it's looking me to me like original finish - what's the verdict? Wish I was close enough to check that out!

12. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Thank you very much for the info on the blender pot, it explains a lot. I could tell there was a slight difference, but my amps are small POS's and weren't helping me.
    Grin... It mesmerizes me sometime too, thanks. It is turning out very nice indeed.

13. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Dan says no, it's not original. He thinks it has been at least partially stripped and a different finish put on. I can see what he is coming from, (and he is the expert) but there are also signs that it just wore off in places. For now I must say it's not original... Sigh
    As I am the cautious type, I will indeed be getting a second or even third opinion.

14. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    I called Dan and asked about the originality. He wants to talk to a few more collectors before he puts a hard number down. I can understand that. He is now saying the overall originality percentage will be between 40 and 60%.
    One collector he spoke to said he wouldn't want it because of the finish and it was under 40‰, another said he would want to because of the original hardware, and the originality was much higher because... Well, it's original... Etc etc
    Dan said he should have a solid number for me Monday.

Personal note: my son shows up for the summer this weekend. It will be his first time with his great Gpa's guitar working. I don't know who's more thrilled, me or him... No guarantees, but I will try to post a picture of him with it.

15. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    I like the blend, but it is more subtle. If you go quickly from non to full, you'll hear it more dramatically as you go from bridge to both at a fast pace. Going slowly, it's a gradual march but on a good amp, or over headphones, you'll find some nice sounds.

16. poorplayer

poorplayer Tele-Holic

Nov 9, 2005
    Televille
    (Deleted - should have read more of the post!)

Last edited: May 24, 2016

17. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Insurance purposes and personal info. However, any input would be greatly appreciated.

18. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Thank you. The neck was a pleasant surprise for even me. I had no idea what it really looked like. The neck was very dirty and it was well hidden. I still had to catch it just right in the light to get the pictures. Overall I really love how it turned out. I'm still planning on trying for better pictures when the sun & time allows.

Superrock likes this.

19. Mr dunlop

Mr dunlop TDPRI Member

Aug 24, 2015
    USA

20. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    I went down to Emerald city guitars here in Seattle to have the work I had done x2 checked.
    Mr Boone played a bit and handed it off to Eric Daw, his lead guitar doc.
    Well Mr. Daw supported me & my dad's feelings that the frets will have to be replaced soon... Vindication! It is still playable, just a little bit of buzz. OK, got a quote on the fret job ($400) and off I went.
    Mr Boone puts the guitar estimate at about $30k
    While walking through pikes place market a bit, I ran into a street musician playing his home made electric guitar. A conversation soon started and I had another opinion on the quality of work done. He jammed on Gpa's NoCaster for about half an hour putting it through its paces for me. I got a few pictures of it for you. He loved it & we both left with big smiles on our faces.
    Mission successful...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tremade, Stubee and bender66 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.