Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Original 51 NoCaster advice wanted

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Twisted Kerle, Feb 2, 2016.

1. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I'm coming with you.

Thanks for a great thread, on a great guitar. You have something very special.

Twisted Kerle and Bluebird like this.

2. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    OK Bluebird (nod cboutilier)... I'm game. Haven't gotten a ride to go get it yet... Kinda a long story, but yeah. How much gas money would I need to chip in? We might have to find somewhere to play it (that serves drinks) on way home... We could do this... Anybody in the Seattle, Tacoma or Everett area wanna jam? I could use a sound/video clip to post. I really don't have the equipment to do it justice myself.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Bluebird likes this.

3. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    The Way It Was in '51
    Merle Haggard

4. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    OK... Well, you actually hit on most of it. He was the gold star rated Fender guy in my area recommended by them. Add in the multiple instruments he has worked on, specifically violins. My mom played fiddle & my ex played violin. (boy, THAT should have been a clue, huh). So i have some idea as to the skill required to work on them.
    Now, I have debated saying my final reason... But hey... He was the only luthier I contacted that not only knew what a snagg chip was, but had installed lots of them. Anti theft is important to me & he was the only one with any answers about it.

Sorry it took so long to answer you, all should be clear soon. Thanks for watching.

5. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Personal note: when you live in the bush in Alaska you get used to the cycle of life. (other places too, I'm sure) People should try to live life while they are here, but all will eventually die. There is no changing that, it's just the way it goes.
    We had two more deaths in the family. One on my wife's side & one one mine. Both of them uncles & of natural (tho premature) causes.
    My uncle Rick was one of my biggest supporters of getting Gpa's NoCaster up and playing again. He was here when it went into the luthier, but never saw it come out. To be honest... That really broke my heart for a little while.
    Never fear, I'm OK. It was nothing that couldn't be cured by some duct tape, bourbon, and a bonfire. Cap that off with planting a couple of trees for the departed & all is well.
    Many moons from now, my son & maybe a grandkid or two can play Gpa's old guitar in the shade under those very trees, & uncle Rick will have the best view of all.
    Rock In Peace Rick
    Rock In Peace Kevin

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    Hacksaw, Tinribs, Superrock and 2 others like this.

6. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    I have seen Gibson have put snagg chips down in the truss rod route but that would be a modern buit instrument from scratch
    for such guitars as a vintage telecaster it would be hard to think where to put it but it is a good idea and goes without saying the location will not be documented !

Twisted Kerle likes this.

7. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Here is a quick recap of the neck & pickup measurements.

The neck is a medium C
    Width:
    Nut: 1.636
    12th fret: 2.006
    Last fret: 2.182
    Depth front to back:
    1st fret: .890
    12th fret: .996

Pickup resistance:
    Neck: 7.09
    Bridge: 6.48

When I pick up the paperwork, I will post any other info that I missed.

The work that has been done has been minimal actually. (as I had hoped)
    1. A partial rewire with cloth wires put back to original color codes.
    2. Neck pickup was rewound by Lollar to original factory specs. (lost the base plate)
    3. The frets where polished.
    4. A good cleaning and a set up.
    5. Snagg chip was installed.
    6. COA and monetary estimates for insurance purposes. When I get the paperwork, I will post that info.

The base plate on the blender pot is loose or broken, but working.
    Frets are to far gone for a full leveling, specifically the 3rd fret down.
    The original finish has been at least partially removed. (he says, spitting a couple of crow feathers) nod to those that spotted it. Remember boys and girls, listen to the experts.

Well, there is a summary of things so far. More is coming so please stay tuned. Thanks again to all following along.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Superrock likes this.

8. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Update.
    There was a slight grounding buzz and the bridge pickup was rattling a little and wouldn't set quite right.
    Unfortunately, he had to replace the surgical tubing under/around the pickup. As explained to me, it is there to help keep things at the proper levels as well as stop vibration. Mine was just to old and couldn't do its job anymore. He made sure and told me he kept it.
    Fortunately, after a good cleaning the last of the grounding buzz was gone.
    He cleaned up the coil, wiring, waxing & fiberboard as well as cleaned most of the rust off the magnets.
    After replacing the surgical tubing, the pickup no longer rattles in its mounting.
    Here are the pictures of the process he sent me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    CharlotteTele and Ron Garson like this.

9. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Wow... Can't believe I never saw/found this thread before.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/original-51-nocaster-help.10336/
    I will have to x2 check on the two screws that Dan doesn't think are original (that I forgot to remember) & if it's cuz they are Philips or not. They used some of them on late NoCasters apparently.

Last edited: May 1, 2016

10. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Update: It looks like the planets have finally aligned & I have not only arranged for a gma sitter, but a ride as well. Fingers crossed, I will be posting pictures of a finished Gpa's NoCaster very soon. Like tomorrow or the next day soon.

Bluebird likes this.

11. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Hey wally, I had JohnnyZ take a picture or two of his edges. When I get my guitar back I will get together with him again and get some better more detailed comparison shots.
    Been thinking about what you said since Dan pointed out the sanding marks on the sides. Eagle eye award contender for sure.
    So here are a couple of the shots so far. [​IMG]
    JohnnyZs blackguard.
    [​IMG]
    Gpa's NoCaster.
    Now I know it's the bottom edge, but more pictures are coming. Just wanted to let you know I hadn't forgotten.

Last edited: May 13, 2016

12. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Remember that cheap amp I said I picked up? Well, it turns out it is a better amp than I thought it was. (although not by much)
    It's a Fender Frontman PR 241.
    After reading a few reviews about it, I think it will serve my needs quite well. It's well used but for 10 bucks? Score! Even if the cord did cost me 2 more... I'm smiling and will be making noise. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2016

13. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Update: I've got Gpa's NoCaster in hand... Pictures of it in a matter of hours. It turned out very nice indeed. Didn't pick up the guitar case after all, so I'm still using the homemade wood one for now.

Personal note: YES! YES! YES! WHOO HOO! (Snoopy style happy dance)

decal and Superrock like this.

14. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    [​IMG]
    OK, I couldn't wait... Stopped for a potty break and I had to... Um... 'Whip this here out.'

Ron Garson and decal like this.

15. Eddie spaghetti

Eddie spaghetti TDPRI Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Canada
    Going to be so cool hearing it for the first time,after a little going over! Congrats

16. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Here is the best matching 'before' picture I could find.
    [​IMG]
    Amp needs help, but the guitar never sounded better...

I will post more pictures when I have decent lighting.

17. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

18. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario

19. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    The sun God is frowning on me, so I don't have any good pics yet.
    The cleaning brought out a lot of character in the wood. Here are a few of the pictures that turned out OK.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pardon the smudges... Grin, been testing it. I will have an overall update soon. In the mean time I'm just floating around with a stupid grin on my face.
    I'm not done with it, but stage one is complete.
    Any particular pictures or angles you want, please let me know... Thanks to all (again & still)

20. Twisted Kerle

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    As for estimated value, he gave me a pretty wide spread.
    Low ball (if they are worried about the finish) is 10 to 15k. High ball (if they like the overall originality) is 25k. That's also the amount he recommends I insure it for.
    What's your opinion on these figures?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.