Organizing music

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by rockymtnguitar, Apr 26, 2019.

1. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

I wasn't sure where to post this, but since the book I'm referring to is a learning tool, I figured this might be a good place...

So my question - does anyone have a solid way of organizing lead sheets? My band has a big list of songs we work on, with lead sheets for all, with notes, etc. The books are a mess. the pic below is mine, with post-it notes marking each song - post it notes that fall off, get folded, overlap, etc.

Anyone use an iPad?

Attached Files:

2. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Been using an iPad for 8 years with the Onsong app. It controls a 24” monitor on a stand for the rest of the band to look at. It makes set list you can flip through when playing. You can use it to start / stop a drum machine or other midi device control.

Quickest way is to find the lead sheet online copy it then paste it into the iPad. Easy to cut and paste the arrangement of a song. One click to change keys. Can share songs or set to other iPads.

3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I prefer to organize everything on a PC using PowerPoint. Each slide is a song (I’m up to 300+) and contains lyrics, changes, TAB, performance/practice notes, etc. as needed. The order of the slides can be easily rearranged for a particular gig. I load them as a PDF file to an iPad for the stage and print a paper copy for backup. I use iBooks on the iPad to view the songs onstage...it is a free app that came with the iPad, but any ereader would work, e.g. Kindle, etc. In iBooks I can flip through the songs in order or search by text like “Mustang” or “Sally” as requests come in.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    matrix likes this.
  4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

I am old school. Three ring binder with clear plastic sleeves. Songs ordered alphabetically. But iPad seems to be the way of the world these days.

picknfool and Bergy like this.
  5. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

I keep it all in my head. I might jot chords down on a 3 by 5 card until we work it out together at rehearsal then just store it away on the old pile forever and never look at it again.

S Mac

Ben-Zion likes this.
  6. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m also old school but British — so it’s a 2-ring binder with clear plastic sleeves for me (& good old A4 pages!). All handwritten (writing it out helps me memorise chord sequences and song structures). I also scan the pages for the rest of the band to look up.
    They aren’t in alphabetical order but maybe they should be..!
    The folder comes to rehearsals but hasn’t been onstage at a gig for a long time now.

Ben-Zion likes this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I never heard the term "lead sheet" before. Thanks!

8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I dont know what a Lead Sheet is, but I'm still using a binder for lyrics chords and notes, although I hate it. I have a pad but found that too cumbersome. Right now I'm considering a fold over notebook pc with touchscreen. 11 x 14 or bigger so entire sheet shows full size. I have tested my plan and it is:
    -Put my list of songs in Excel.
    -Hyperlink each Excel song title to the Word document.
    -You touch the song title and the word document comes up.

Dell said there should be no problem with this.

9. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

We are having this same discussion (how to organize music) in one of the bands I play with.

All of us use iPads, but we all use different programs/apps. I scan all my handwritten charts and save them as PDFs. Someone else uses an app called 'bandhelper' (I forget the other app the third person uses).

I think the program to choose depends on how much info you need.

10. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

I tend to alphabetize them and put them in page protectors, too. I also like to have them listed out in alphabetical order on a sheet and placed at the front of the binder as a table of contents. I prefer for the folders to be black, they don't draw as much attention as white ones.

If a set list prepared before the gig, I'll reorder the book into setlist order so I can pull em up more quickly.

When a band dissolves I'll take all the charts out and integrate them into my main stack of music that is also alphabetized and kept in a milk crate. Even though I have the crate full of hundreds of charts, because they are alphabetized I can find just about anything fairly quickly.

11. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

A lead sheet IS lyrics, chords and notes.
    Chords written above the staff and lyrics written below.
    You've both seen them forever but didn't know they were called lead sheets.

S Mac

P Thought likes this.
  12. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Thanks for the ideas, all. For now I'll likely change things around a bit from the post-it notes method. That's just gotten out of control. I like the iPad idea, actually, but I don't have a modern iPad. That may change in the future though.

13. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Just FYI, I am doing all this (as described in #3) on the first iPad, which is...probably 10 years old now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.