Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Organ in a pedal. B9? C9? Organizer? Guitarorgan? Forget it?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by BB, Mar 13, 2018.

1. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    I just posted a wanted classified. I'm in dire need of a pedal to emulate organ tones. I spent some quality time with a B9 a while back and had a blast with it. I have not tried the C9 or earthquake organizer. Some seem to like the POG2 for organ tones, but as I state below, I'm a simple minded fella and any type of editing that requires actual time and brain powered dimly puts me on tilt.

Are there other pedals in this ilk to consider? I'd like to buy used (or trade) if possible as funds are tight, but it's a real need at this time, so gotta do what I gotta do.

I'd like to keep it as simple as possible....I do not like deep editing or going through a voodoo dance ritual with an old chicken in order to coax dirty key click Hammond tones, but at this point, I can't be choosy.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

2. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    B9 & C9 are both nice for organ sounds. You would have to decide which one has the sounds you need most, unless you can afford both, which I don't think is necessary because there's some overlap.

3. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    Well I've only experienced studio recording with an ehx mel9. I didn't believe in it but it was in the studio and we had time to experience.

I must admit it's on two songs and it was suuuuper efficient. We coupled it with a compressor (mad professor forest green) to keep things tight.

Now concerning live shows I guess it's harder to get it right but I think it's possible to manage it.

4. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    I had a B9, I bought it used from GC. It was cool. You need to have some control over your attack (or use a compressor). A volume pedal worked well with it. Mine had a clicky issue that would happen if you really dug in. I might have explored that further, but I quit the band I was using it for before the 45 day return period, so I went and got my $ back.

Someone on the forum has a video link to hear what it's like.

5. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 7, 2009
    Ventura CA
    I have a b9. It works well, great organ tones; but is very sensitive to attack. I wouldn’t think of trying to use it live without a compressor.

6. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    I wouldn't waste time with Guitorgan, I played one and thought it was a real POS. The frets are subdivided into 6 sections and wired through the neck, which means it can't track bends at all. And in spite of actually being hard wired through the frets and strings, I didn't think it tracked any better and maybe worse than the EHX pedals.

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I also have B9 and it works very well in it's own way. It's been fun to step on once or twice a night just to watch people's heads turn. Comments above about volume control with a compressor are spot on, although sometimes the volume swell/sustain can be a handy intro for a song. I don't use it all night, but for the adding some variety, it's pretty useful.

I see one used on Reverb for $165 or make an offer?

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

So the EHX pedals track bends well? The demos I've watched avoid bends, but maybe because that's not organistic.
    Modman68 likes this.

9. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    There are 18 used C9s, 32 used B9s, 31 used Organizers on Reverb right now.

Join the dozens that took the plunge, enjoyed them for 10 minutes, and decided there is no place for this in rock and roll unless Jon Lord is playing the parts!
    teletimetx likes this.

10. jrblue

jrblue TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    I played one of the early Guitorgans at least 30 years ago, and it was a Rube Goldberg device. Just insane! But it worked fine. Well, except that the one I tried had a few loose connections... I actually prefer more inexact, electronic approximations (I use a modded phaser that I can set for a really slow warble, combined w/ OD and comp) rather than trying for an exact simulation. I guess I'm convinced that if my tone really sounded truly B3-ish, or whatever, then the deficiency of the actual part I was plying would be too evident! I can do a pretty decent "Whiter Shade of Pale" part, however.

11. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I remember a review of the guitorgan in one of the big geetar mags a while back, long after the original guitorgan was out of production. The reviewer felt that it actually worked really well, but the organ tone was definitely more suited to "96 tears" rather than "Whiter Shade of Pale."

I'm speculating here, but I suspect the EH B9 would be the way to go. A buddy of mine had the EH POG. One of the suggested settings gave a very convincing organ tone. Definitely more "Whiter Shade of Pale" than otherwise.

12. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    I brought up the guitarorgan tongue in cheek. When I tried the B9 I remember thinking 'This is it"! So that is probably the way to go. I have only looked at two Earthquake Organizer videos so far. While I'm sure there are some fine tones to be had, both videos had the tackiest, cheesy tones possible. I want B3, not Farfisia.

13. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I briefly toyed with the B9 and the KEY9, there are some good sounds but the tracking was glitchy to me, I guess if you REALLY work hard at it you could make one work for some things. The guy that does the EHX demos makes it look easy but in the real world I found the units not so easy to use and get consistently good sounds / tracking. A compressor in front does help and IIRC the units work better with hotter pickups, vintage single coils will need some boost.

For comparison I used to have a Roland GR33 , that unit has some great sounding organ sounds and it tracks really well , but it's more $, you have to use a Roland ready guitar or a GK pickup. When our band got a good keyboard player I got rid of it.

The Fishman Tripleplay seems interesting , it's wireless, but again requires more stuff, laptop, tablet etc.

If you can find one used you can try the B9 , worst case you won't like it and can resell it and not lose too much.
    BB likes this.

14. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    I have a POG2. It does really great organ sounds, really easy to set that too. Everything to middle. I find the POG 2 to be more versatile than the organ pedals, and I had one of the C9s. With the POG2, i can do organ...or bass...or 12 string guitar...or a bunch of other stuff.
    BB and karpis like this.

15. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    I have a B9 and it is a great pedal and sounds very good, especially, as others have noted, you use a comp. Used it on gigs for a year or so and then we got a keys player and it sits on a shelf now.

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I'm intrigued by the B9....haven't played one yet, but I've watched a lot of youtube demos, and they sound good. There's a video of Psychedelic Furs doing Pretty in Pink live, one of the guitarists uses SOMETHING in a pedal that sounds VERY convincing.....I'd like to know what he has.

17. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2016
    Vancouver, BC
    I have the B9 - a lot of fun. Picked up a used one on Reverb. I often run the wet signal into a ditto, and set up little organ-sounding tracks to jam over.

While it tracks bends very well, they do not sound organ-y, so I tend to avoid them. It definitely sounds best if you use the bridge pickup, as EHX recommends. Made for a tele!

I have so much fun with it I am actually thinking about getting a Mel9 as well, but I kinda choke on the price of those.

18. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    May I suggest a cheap keyboard instead?

Your guitar calluses can surely help you withstand those brutal plastic keys.

19. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    I have the Key9 (electric piano sounds) and think it's pretty cool. It tracks very well, but you do need to learn how to play it for best effect. For the occasional keyboard stab or hook, they are pretty cool. If you think you're going to a keyboardist for the night, you'll be disappointed.

20. AlabamaOutlaw

AlabamaOutlaw Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Have you tried the stock factory organ toneprint that's loaded on the Sub N Up by t.c. electronic? Also a volume pedal, sometimes a compressor to get me the rest of the way there.
    BB likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.