Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Orchestral Instrument Plugins?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Rich_S, Aug 10, 2017.

1. h2odog

h2odog Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2017
    The Dalles, Oregon
    I use Garritan Personal Orchestra and some of their other vsti's in Reaper for orchestral sounds. Works great, sounds great, no issues. I believe they have demos you can try to see if you like the sounds.

2. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    Just fir the record, I described Reaper as being shareware-like. I know it's not shareware and have paid for my license.

3. therealfindo

therealfindo Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2012
    Germany
    The Reaper website *does* claim it to be a 'complete' DAW, & indeed claims that it has a 'full, flexible feature set' & is suitable for commercial studio use.

It's a DAW that can do Pro-level audio processing. That it doesn't come pre-packaged with 3rd-party instrument plugins (. AIR Xpand stuff will work in Reaper too)
    doesn't change this.

So it's confusing & incorrect to say the Reaper isn't full-featured when you really mean it just doesn't come with as many plugins.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    It's certainly more open source than the bigger names but not free, $60.00 when I dived in at R3 and then another $60.00 when it went to R5 which sees me through until R7 is launched

6. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    ???

If we are referring to only editing and recording etc, sure , no argument but thats a requirement, not a feature.

But it does NOT COME with many of the features and plug-ins that others do, so it is NOT a full featured stand alone package .

Saying it WORKS with plug-ins is not the same as saying it COMES with over 60 processors and multiple AIR plugin's such as Air Expand 2.

That is the definition of a full featured DAW , it's ready to go out of the gate. It is fully loaded to start work.

I am not dissing Reaper , it's a fine recording platform, but I don't understand how they can claim to be a complete DAW when in fact, it is not.

Which is the complete DAW, one that says it's compatible with other plug-ins or the one that COMES with the plug-ins and processors ?

So basically, if I got this correct, someone wants to do Orchestral Composing with a full array of Midi Instrumentation , editing and processing at their finger tips, they buy a DAW thats says it is "complete" but yet doesn't contain what the user actually needs , so they have to go elsewhere to acquire it. Air Expand 2 for ex , just by it's lonesome is $100.

Or they can purchase a DAW that has everything included as part of the platform. PT 12 for example comes with the full array of Air plug-ins embedded, not just Air expand 2.

One is complete, one is not.

We can call it whatever we want, use any terminology we want. Reaper is a fine program for what it offers but to somehow assume it is complete , for $60 is quite a stretch. We are not talking about hitting the red button and performing edits and audio processing, THEY ALL do that or they would be useless. Those are not features, those are absolute requirements.

I bought a guitar, it's didn't come with a pickup or strings. Not a problem, I can buy those on Ebay.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

7. therealfindo

therealfindo Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2012
    Germany
    Your argument is more like saying an amp is not 'complete' if it doesn't have reverb, or indeed, any pedals for the loop.

What you are describing with PT & Air is a DAW which comes pre-packaged with *extra* plugins / instruments.(edit: Reaper has a suite of plugins included as well btw) The OP already has a fully-featured DAW (despite your equivocation- Reaper *is* a fully featured DAW) they don't need a new DAW, they need soft-Synth instruments to use in that DAW.

8. T Prior

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    ok

Just for clarity though, the AIR bundles that come with PRO TOOLS are not the same as the offered packages for other DAWS. Obviously the instruments and sounds are the same but the compatibility and workflow routines may not be. This is stated on the AIR website. There are many forums that discuss this as well, the nuances of making the add-ons work with specific DAW's.

The thread OP did say he was having trouble with some sort of a plug-in for his DAW, it all makes no difference to me, I'm just sharing.

Take it or leave it, I'm not arguing. It's the internet.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    therealfindo likes this.

9. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2012
    OK....back on topic. Check out DSK Music. They released some free VST instruments including Strings, Brass, Orchestras, 1 called Overture, Saxaphone. I know at least a couple of their plug-ins are fo' FREE.
    Earlier this year I downloaded 2, but never used them since I updated my computer & software. They looked cool, & seemed somewhat detailed, but I never "actually" used them. It's worth a look anyway. I also have a Focusite interface, & every month they have a Plug-in Collective, where you can download free or discounted plug-ins. They offered XLN virtual Piano a couple months ago for free.

10. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    Way back in the OP, I explained the the problem she's having is with a DSK plug in.

pete-strych likes this.

11. T Prior

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Right. Nobody's reading , we are just typing away.

Whatever we decide to term a DAW, Complete, Full Featured etc, one thing is abundantly clear, they are all NOT EQUAL in platforms and architecture.

Just because we own ANY DAW and decide to grab a nice add-on doesn't mean it's going to work, work smoothly or even be totally compatible.

We don't live in a Vanilla World with DAW's and add-ons. We more likely live in a haphazard world with DAWS and add-ons.

The most important part of any DAW is not the actual workflow of how it looks on the neat monitor, or how many gadgets it comes with, it's the 15 or 20% of the program that we will never see, the backside. The part of the program that allows it to function each day . This is where the money is, this is where manufacturers put in the effort and design, the backside.

Then we have multiple outlets offering add-ons which we all HOPE will be compatible.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 7:31 AM
    suthol likes this.

12. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    I wonder if the .dll & library have been put in the wrong folder and it's hanging looking for them, often a problem when using 3rd party addins to any software application

13. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    No, because sometimes in plays and sometimes it hangs.

14. T Prior

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Rich S, have you checked any forums to see if there is an issue with the add-on and the DAW that can be resolved easily ? Maybe a Reaper forum ?

15. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    T Prior: It's purely anecdotal, but one guy at the HomeRecording.com forum says he avoids this particular plugin because it often causes Reaper to hang. That's the trouble with DAWs, there are so many combinations of computer, OS, DAW, and plugins, you never find more that a few people who have a setup similar to your own.

I've come to somewhat of a conclusion. I think Reaper is great for a DIYer like me. I'm an engineer by trade and spend my whole day working on Windows PCs. I like building my own system from various parts and Reaper is a great starting point for that.

My daughter, on the other hand, is not experienced with computers other than the typical gaming, word processing, and social media. I agree with those who have commented in this thread that she needs a system that simply works without a lot of fuss, so that she can get on with the composing and recording.

To that end, I think I'm going to buy her a DAW and maybe an add-on orchestral package. Cubase seems to be the leading contender right now, starting with their Elements package and upgrading to Artist if/when we need to. Somebody above mentioned Garritan for strings, and a pro composer friend of mine also suggested them last night.

Hopefully, those two will give her a stable system that I won't need to spend much time troubleshooting.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 2:23 PM

16. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    A Mac with Garage Band or Logic. Logic has a ton of samples and virtual instruments I believe. Any DAW really should work without hassles on a Mac. I ended up buying one after having annoying ongoing issues trying to use Windows.

17. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    I find the answers to most Reaper issues here https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

"To that end, I think I'm going to buy her a DAW and maybe an add-on orchestral package."

You have suggested that you will probably buy a DAW ( Cubase ) and additional orchestral plugin, regardless of DAW is this not simply spending more money to have the same setup as you have now when the wisdom you are being offered is to buy a DAW that has natively installed VSTi libraries

Not defending any DAW here simply pointing out the anomoly in that post

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 8:08 PM

18. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2012
    Ha ha. Nice. OOPSIE

19. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2012
    When I began building/setting up my "new studio" a couple years ago, I reassessed my existing components and sold anything that gave me headaches (like my old interface, etc.). I decided to use one company to buy everything from...Sweetwater...both hardware & software. They offer FREE tech support, when things don't work correctly. They also sell educational versions of software to both teachers & students. Their tech support saved the day more than once when I was having compatibility issues during setup. It's nice to have someone knowledgeable to call, who has experience with many music software packages & platforms. It's like having a team at your disposal. I've also bounced ideas off my salesman when I was considering several products. Their experienced staff offered multiple solutions for me, without pushing me into a product that I didn't choose. Bottom line...as I grow my studio, I can always lean on free tech support to keep my investment working!

20. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    Yeah I thought of that, but the extra package is "Plan B" in case Cubase (or whatever DAW) doesn't have what she needs. I think this is different from what I have now in two regards: 1) the plugins would be commercially produced rather that freebies, with (one would hope) higher quality, and 2) as Pete mentioned above, anything I buy would come from Sweetwater. Ordinarily, I buy from them to get the Bit-O-Honey, but in this case I would rely on their tech support in order to make good choices before purchasing, and later in the event something doesn't work.

21. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2012
    Check out YouTube videos & tutorials from Tom Hulkenborg (Aka JunkieXL). He just wrote the film scores for Deadpool, Divergent, The Dark Tower, Batman vs. Superman, Mad Max fury road , & more using Cubase. The videos are techie & detailed & working in Cubase. Better than some lame tutorials.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.