Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

orange peel

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Shell-Pink, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Shell-Pink

Shell-Pink TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2008
    UK
    hi guys,

having sanded super flat, primed and sanded super smooth i have started to spray some colour.

so i have sprayed 2 colour coats (3 passes per coat) and now the colour is starting to look like orange peel.

at this point should i just complete the full 3 coats and worry about it later?

never done this before so any help would be very much apprecated!

:):p

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    What kinda paint are you spraying?

And just how bad is the orange peel?

Can you post pics?

3. Shell-Pink

Shell-Pink TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2008
    UK
    hi,

i'll try and get some when i get home.

im using nitro...

having nothing to base it on i dont know how bad, but, its only really visible in certain lights, i can feel it more than anything if that makes sense?

why does the orange peel effect happen anyway?

4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Some kind of surface contaminant or the paint dried too quickly and didn't level.

But now my question to you is... is it overspray or true orange peel? Orange peel looks just like that... and orange or lemon or lime skin... or some bad acne scars. ALthough it doesn't really have to be that extreme. It can also show up as a bunch of bumps located near each other.

Overspray looks like colored dust and it comes from the finish drying before it actually gets to the surface... The solvent has evaporated and keeps the new finish from flowing into the existing finish.

5. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Let's back up a step. What kind of wood? Are you spraying bare wood? Did you grain fill if it was needed? Sand & Sealer applied? It could just be sinking in. If you are having trouble saying it actually is orange peel you are probably a semi-beginner. Nothing wrong with that. We all are. Just need more info.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Each coat should be layed on in only one pass. Come back in 45 minutes and lay another coat on...in one pass. Lay as many coats as you want before letting it dry overnight. WEt sand, and go at things again. You are building up too much 'wet' thickness and the nitro isn't drying properly. Imho.....and ime.

7. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    That's your culprit right there. Too much, too quick. Don't worry, you can always back up a punt by wet sanding it smooth again.

8. Shell-Pink

Shell-Pink TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2008
    UK
    cheers for your help guys.

to be honest i think it is because im spraying a few passes per coat.

im going to wet sand it smooth again, and try builing it up again using wally's suggestion. 1 pass wait 45, then another.

also i do think i went a little too quick in my excitedness, like you say, i am a beginner so could probably walk before i try to run.

the wood is alder, i took my time i think up until i started the colour coat. the primed layer was super smooth so you know.

anyway, i'll let you know how it goes when i sand later this evening.

9. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Hi Shell. Welcome to group.

Are you spraying with rattle cans or a spray gun?

10. Shell-Pink

Shell-Pink TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2008
    UK
    rattle cans at the moment

11. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

I don't use these very much but one tip I've read here is to keep the cans warm as you're using them. I've read that putting the cans in a bucket warm water for 20 minutes or so before using seems to help.

12. Shell-Pink

Shell-Pink TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2008
    UK
    ah, that kind of makes sense, as it pretty cold here at the moment. i'll try that out when i have wet sanded smooth again. you see, the amount of tips i've picked up from a simple question.

thanks to you all!

13. Old Cane

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I still would have used sand and sealer, sanded and primed. I know i can sand bare wood until smooth but when i start painting........

14. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    +1

Sanding sealer is a life savor, and its relatively inexpensive. An 8$ investment can save you 200$ worth of hassle, imho.

Warming up rattle cans is an excellent practice, and I will take that a step further. Make sure your body is warm too. Spraying paint in the cold is a pain. When its cold out the rattle can will spray blobs of paint instead of a fine mist, and if the body is cold, the paint won't layer on there evenly.

This process seemed a lot simpler when you were going through it in your head before you started didn't it? I know the feeling. I have been doing wood works and arts and crafts since I was little, so I thought, hey building a guitar, that is the same as everything else Ive ever done. WRONG! You have to take so much more care when building a guitar. Patience is the number one tool to have with experience being second. Im sure you are doing a great job, and everytime you do it gets easier because you don't question yourself as much and you know more of what to expect.

15. Good advice!

16. Shell-Pink

Shell-Pink TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2008
    UK
    hi guys,

certainly is so, you do leanr by your mistakes, and other people experiences, as well as you own.

i am still not put off, of course, im a bit dispondant that i went 'south' a little, but tonight should have wet sanded her beautifully smooth. if anything i will be a master of the wet sand!

i possibly may have to leave it a few weeks then regarding temperature, as at the moment, its still quite cool where i am spraying. oh well.

i'll add to this when i get round to spraying thanks again for all who have helped out. i've taken everything on bord believe me. :D

17. Old Cane

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    3 passes per coat I think is pretty much SOP for painting. That's not the problem. Why not just stop where you are right now and do the S&S over it? I use lacquer because it's so easy to solve these kinds of problems. If you find a problem just do it again. No problem.

18. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I definetly can't get 3 passes per coat when I paint anything, especially from a rattle can, but then again, I am not claiming to be a real painter. I just don't have the touch. Thicker coats and colder weather though don't go well together for a smooth finish in my opinion.

19. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've never met orange peel that was a match for a piece of 400 grit wet&dry.

20. Old Cane

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I always thought a coat of paint was what I told it to be, whether 3 passes or 30. But you are so right on the weather being such a big factor.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.