Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Orange Micro Terror Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Bulldog87, Jul 6, 2012.

1. timmyc

timmyc Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2011
    saint john canada
    Hey everyone. I got one of these about a week ago, played fine. Went on vacation, come back, plug it in and it buzzes like crazy. Take your hands off the strings on any guitar ( single coils or humbuckers) and It buzzes like crazy. Change cords, preamp tube. Same thing. Gain at 10 o clock volume at 11. Any ideas?

Wyzsard likes this.

2. timmyc

timmyc Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2011
    saint john canada
    Plugged into a crate celestian 1 x 12 cab. Planet waves speaker cab cord.

3. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Grounding issue?
    Check your power outlet?
    Try a different one?

Wyzsard likes this.

4. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Meister

it's a grounding issue....

Does it buzz without the guitar?

If it doesn't without the guitar, guitar has a short, or cable.

So try just the cable, no buzz, guitar!

Wyzsard likes this.

5. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Check your power source first.

0705172234.jpg

If your power source is okay and you bought it new, take it back where you bought it and try another power supply if they have them in stock. If it still does it, it's not the power supply. Find the closest authorized Orange service center. Also make sure the input jack and the speaker out jack are not loose. If they get loose they can twist and cause a short. That's probably not it but worth checking.

If you bought it used and it's not under warranty, you can probably replace it with a used one for whatever it costs to get it fixed.

6. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    Replace the power supply.

I've been running mine for a year with a leftover Dell laptop PS, quiet as a mouse.

7. timmyc

timmyc Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2011
    saint john canada
    Got it used. Worked fine at first. I think I will try and find a laptop power supply. When I got the amp I thought the power supply looked cheap. I wonder why the couldn't hard wire it to the amp.

8. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ok dumb question here. I'm considering the MT and the 2x PPC108 "stack" option... on the back of the cabs I only see one jack, so how are you guys daisy-chaining them? (sweetwater pic) 750-Orange108CBBlk_detail1.jpg

9. rave

rave Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I actually called orange and they said this is now by design. They realized the load was causing problems so they removed the extra input. Some retailers have old stock from when the can has two inputs.

10. rave

rave Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2011
    Los Angeles

11. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

So I guess that means you shouldn't use the "stack option"?
    Or, How was the original plug plate wired? series or parallel ?

I don't have that issue with my Micro teror rig, MT, 6" Vox Bulldog, Alessis Nanoverb.

I just remounted the nano-verb to the side from the stealth placement on the back. I was using the verb as a set and forget reverb but my buddy was playing around with the knobs while we were jamming, so I made it easier to use.

Micro Terror rig.jpg

12. rave

rave Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Yes they said the stack option was causing too much load on the head

13. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Right, but is the original wired in series or parallel?

They are an 8 ohm cab so in series it's 16 ohms and in parallel it's 4 ohms, right?
    So it must be wired in parallel since the NEW chassis says it needs 8 ohms.
    Glad I stumbled upon this, I just built a buddy a cab for his MT and it's 4 ohms.
    I really think Orange needs to tell everyone about their screwup so we don't all blow up our amps running on 4 ohms..

OLD Chassis
    [​IMG]
    New Chassis
    [​IMG]

14. arakatak

arakatak NEW MEMBER!

Sep 28, 2017
    Indonesia
    Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere else in this forum.
    I freshly tried MT yesterday, and I'm disappointed it's was not loud enough to play with a drummer as expected..I plug the head to a 4X12'' cabinet..So frustrating..I play using a gretsch G2622T, and a xotic EP booster..Is that normal...? Did someone tried MT for garage punk style rehearsal with a loud drummer..?Thks

15. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest
    But if now is min 8 Ohm, means that... no more 20W as advertise? 20W in 4 Ohm, so no more 4 Ohm means less than20W? What did I buy???

16. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    It's always been arguable that the Micro Terror doesn't deliver the stated power as advertised. 15V 2A power supply = 30W. Take off the power required for the heaters of the valve + whatever the valve consumes. Take the efficiency of the chip in to consideration ( about 75%, on a good day ) and you really aren't left with much.

https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/General/STA540.pdf

The datasheet will provide some clues. Make of it what you will. There are many ways of measuring power that flatter the product. I prefer the maximum an amp can sustain at the threshold of clipping or sustain with moderate clipping. What it can do in 'bursts' with distortion like a harpies shriek is, to me, irrelevant.

Don't get hung up about power. Is it loud enough before it peels the enamel from your teeth with power stage distortion? Does it sound good?.

guitarmikey likes this.

17. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest

Sounds. Indeed, I like the sound. But still, seems I paid for 20W, am I entitled to get some money back if that option has dissapeared meantime? At least an exchange with the better sounding MdarkT? Just asking... What I cannot accept is the principle...

18. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I've cranked it before. Didn't shut down like some people claim it does, but it was not pleasant for my ears, not only the distortion but it was too loud.

But it's loud enough without sounding gnarly, so it's fine.

19. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest
    Probably mine won't have any problems, because I've changed the tube to 12AU7, but still... they sold me a 20W on 4ohm, and now they reccomend using only 8 ohm? Come on... If so, changing the tube is a much better option. What about a refund???

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.