Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Orange Micro Terror Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Bulldog87, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    Probably typing to myself here but I did a couple of tests
    1:- removed the jack panel from the back and ran the cab with it hanging out - even that made a small improvement to the bass end .........
    2:- removed the back altogether - this turned the sound around completely - away went the harshness and the cab started showing depth instead of thin boxy weediness , more bass than the HT1 combo did even (which is a miracle itself for a closed 8") . I did notice that open, the speaker went into breakup earlier ......

I think the answer is to cut the lower third off the back panel, it`ll be "semi open" that way giving some resistance but hopefully the same levels of bass . The PPC108 is so crippled in its full enclosed state and there`s no way even the fanciest of speakers will make a fraction of the difference that removing the back did .. I`m sure the no-name Chinese speaker has its faults (lack of refinement in the lower treble for a start) but it sounded good to me when unleashed ..

Wyzsard likes this.

2. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    Something to consider is the speaker broken in? British style speakers usually use a stiffer cone and surround. The speaker should warm up some as it breaks in. Also a few on here use two of those cabs with it and report it sounds much better with the two speakers (twice the surface area moving the air).

If I didn't have so many irons in the fire, I would build a 4 X 8" cab for mine, using a set of Celestion Eight 15s. Someone tried a BlackStar HT-408 with theirs and report good results. A 4 X 8" would only be slightly bigger than a 1 X 12", but would give you some of the frequency cancellation of a multi-speaker cab. I think it would sound pretty good! (Or it could sound like garbage!) A 4 X 8" would give you almost twice the surface area of a 12" speaker and would be about the same size as a 1 X 12" cab. This would move more air, for a bigger sound, but the smaller speakers would be more responsive than a single, bigger speaker. While this would be bigger sounding, the more responsive speakers may cause it to be too harsh.

Don't be affraid to swap that tube out. This amp responds to tubes very nicely. I'm currently running mine with a Genelex (Chinese) Gold Lion ECC83/12AX7, through a homemade PPC112 cab with a WGS Veteran 30 speaker.

3. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    I`ve got a Blackstar 408 4X8 with the metal grille front and it`s damn good even with the stock speakers, was surprised at the bass from it, that`s one cab which IMO Needs to Stay sealed ;) .. from experience , the 8" blackbird speakers it uses (also found in the Excellent HT1R) is a damn sight better than the ghastly brash thin 12" unit the HT5R and their 4X12 are saddled with so haven't rushed out to spend £100 on Celestion super-8s for the 408 .. I like the lack of directionality of multi speaker cabs and the 408 is no exception, as you say it`s 1X12 size but Wow is it heavy for its size.

I`m sure the issue with the orange 8" cab is that it simply isn`t big enough , even the difference in size between it and the HT1R combo is suprising , letting the cone breathe by taking back off makes a world of difference . the back takes some removing too, the speaker must be almost in a vacuum - LOL - I was amazed that even removing the jack panel to give a tiny port made a difference.

MadJack likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    I did the back mod to the cab and it`s transformed the sound - like all open backs , the more "Cavity" the back is facing (such as on the floor in a corner) the deeper the bottom end, all the honkiness has gone and it`s reproducing frequencies below lower midrange now ;) , it`s actually a useful cab now . yeah, the speaker is still harsh , I`m sure a Celestion super-8 or 8-15 will cure that (running in may too , dunno, never heard one which has been used more than twice) and maybe even add to the bass but even with the stock driver it sounds pretty damn good with the Micro-Terror and fantastic wjth the Blackstar HT1R-H-Metal or Vox Night Train NT15 heads

easy to do with some EVO-Stik and a Jigsaw, basically peeled the Tolex back , cut the panel, trimmed and stuck the tolex back so it wrapped round .. cut the thin bit for the bottom and used the cut off piece to cover that, that bit isn`t needed , just there for cosmetics.

Attached Files:

Wyzsard likes this.

6. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    How many hours do you have on tha
    How many hours do you have on that speaker. When you start getting around 20 to 40 hours it should mellow a bit. Literally the fibers in the cone need to loosen up. That will take some of the harshness out. Don't for get though, this is an eight inch speaker, so it will only warm up so much.

As for the Celestion Eight 15, remember it's only a 15 watt speaker.

So far, regardless of the tube or speaker used, I do find it a bi more harsh and a bit bright, compared to my other all tube amps. The cab of mine that goes with it best to me, is my 2 X 12 Greenback/Green Beret cab. Followed closely by my Kustom Defender 112, with a Reaper and closed back. That Defender cab happens to be what a friend of mine is using with his OMT (EHX 12AY7) and Tele at church.

7. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    Wow, reminds me of WGS for ultra long run-ins . I guess its had no more than 2 hours use as its previous owner didn`t use it . if they take 40 hrs , I doubt many people ever see them run in, I couldn`t listen to that cab for 4 hours with the back on / unmodded let alone 40 . I guess if it doesn't warm up much , it`s best to get a warmer speaker (Celestion Super-8 ?) ..

15 watts is more than enough even for a MT as it only gives its full 20W into 4 ohms (the PPC108 is 8 ohms) , probably something like 10 or 12w into 8 ohms . The Laney LC30 is prob the best Church amp I`ve found, even with the stock Seventy-80 it`s thick and warm without losing clarity (none of that painful Jangly lower treble) , with a creamback in , bliss (on the neck pup - or on a 72 Custom, the mid position) ..

This tiny rig is amazingly loud as a practice amp, better defined and deeper bottom end than the MT despite being 1 watt compared to "20w" , sounds great with the modded cab

Orange-PPC108-BS.JPG

8. Dphc13

Dphc13 TDPRI Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Chicago
    So I got my MT last week and decided it's time to open her on up and see what's what. What I found was a crap J/J tube so I swapped it out with the only other tube I had that fit. It was a Bugera and I have to say Believe the hype. Change out the tube and find a sound! It really made a great difference in the volume. I love it.

Attached Files:

9. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    Funny isn`t it - other amp owners upgrade to JJ tubes from Sovtek (Blackstar, Marshall etc) .... it would seem that whatever is standard is crap no matter what it is - one day some company will fit NOS British Mullards and we`ll all be happy

10. 4seven3

4seven3 TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2015
    North Carolina
    The Micro has grown! Found another used cab at GC today for a decent price. Now I'm thinking of adding a couple of pedals!

[​IMG]

Wyzsard and Uncle Mui like this.

11. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    do the rear port mod on both and you`re sorted :)

12. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Tele-Afflicted

May 25, 2010
    North Alabama
    IMG_0832.JPG IMG_0844.JPG IMG_0845.JPG IMG_0846.JPG IMG_0847.JPG Who made this cab?
    No name on it. Trying to warm up/clean up my MT .
    An AU7 helped a bunch.
    Thinking about a Cannibis Rex.
    Should I keep this cab or go for an open back, or mod this to an open back? It seems solid enough. Just trying to loose the in your face Brit tone.

13. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2016
    Blues country
    Hey, I am considering doing this exact same mod! Having trouble getting the back panel off though. the Tolex feels like it melted together back there!

14. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    you need to remove the jack panel so you can pull it off with your fingers through the hole ...... the Tolex is stuck on very well too , heating up with the hair dryer helps

15. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2016
    Blues country
    I got it off, mostly in a fit of rage, as i pulled at it violently like a toddler having a tantrum.

Just having the back off makes it sound so much better. Will have to cut it down and do a speaker swap! Might actually be worth its weight.

16. claes

claes Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    I never played a micro terror but to me it's seems like the best amp to give to a youngster without car (because of the weight). Wish ther was stuff like this when I was young and had no parent that could drive me around (mom had no car).

17. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    I kept the original speaker as it gives me that in-yer-face Green-day / Offspring sound - and of course that it probably sounds far better with the half opened back and the original speaker than it does closed up with the best , most expensive 8" speaker money can buy (well if you value frequencies lower than mid-range anyway) ..

18. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Meister

Umm. I started selling stuff this weekend. Gassing to get an orange PCC 2x12 cab to plug my micro-terror into. I was at GC and setup the micro-terror on the 2x12. Holy cow!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to scare the cat and wife.

P.S. The real rig I am going for, is a Rockerverb on the 2x12, but baby steps. I also have a tiny terror sitting on the shelf looking for a cab, 2 fer 1. May have to sell off all my amps to get the dream.

But hey, love the micro.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Wyzsard likes this.

19. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Was curious about these when they came out. Stop by the shop for some strings and grabbed one.

0322171959.jpg

Only cab I have right now is this old c.1960 Voice of America extension cabinet made for a console phonograph. I have only ran 5 Watt amps through the cab but it should sound okay as long as I don't push it. Getting ready to find out.

0322172028.jpg

Edit: OK....
    Humbuckers √
    Coil tap √
    Phase √
    Clean boost √√√ !

Can't wait to try it with a LP Jr. !

Great classic rock crunch. Already want another one to run stereo

0322172117.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    shupe13 likes this.

20. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Grabbed a black Micro Cab to go with my MT head. I'll let it break in and if the tone don't grab me I'll replace it with a WGS G8C.

0326171400.jpg

shupe13 likes this.

21. rave

rave Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Grabbed one of these this week. Unfortunately as I mentioned in another thread I only have a 4 ohm speaker accessible. I hope to grab a bigger 8 ohm speaker this weekend and get to fully check it out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.