Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Orange Micro Terror Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Bulldog87, Jul 6, 2012.

1. teddyuk

teddyuk TDPRI Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    Thanks guys. At the end I went for the MT. I am loving it. Nice sound.

2. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    They really are good sounding, fun little amps.

Get used to what you have now, but don't be afraid to experiment with other 12AX7 or similar pin-out preamp tubes. Tubes can fine tune the tone and gain characteristics of the amp to your taste.

Later on you can get a bigger speaker and cab (1 X 12", 2 X 12" or better, a 4 X 12") and rattle the neighbors! :rolleyes:

3. Linkinbassist

Linkinbassist TDPRI Member

Jun 11, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Bought a Micro Dark Terror about a week ago, it sounds incredible through my Vox NT212 with Celestion G12H 70th Anniversary speakers! I'm currently writing an E.P. and it's already been used to track guitar for one song. It takes pedals really well, I can't wait to really crank it when the neighbours are out...!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. teddyuk

teddyuk TDPRI Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    Bought a Micro Dark as well. I am using it with the oraged coloured cab bought for the MT. I realised that the MD is a little bit more buzzy when I am not playing. When I switch it off with the volume completelly down ot does a kind of "pop". Is it normal?

Last edited: May 3, 2016

6. jmwreck

jmwreck TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Hi guys, I am considering either on the lists:

1. Orange Micro Terror Stack
    2. Vox VT20X / Vox VX II
    3. Vox AC4TV
    3. ID Core 20
    4. ID Core Beam
    5. Laney Cub 10

I am looking around 10-30W amp for bedroom use. Which can you recommend? I am playing mostly pop, rock and grunge stuff, I also make pedals which means I want to bring out the sound of my pedals. I know this is an Orange thread, but I want your unbias opinion towards vox/blackstar/laney.

Thank you.

Last edited: May 18, 2016

7. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2013
    Milwaukee
    In my opinion, for bedroom use, you'll want the lowest wattage possible if it's a tube amp. So out of that list, I'd say AC4TV. I had the AC4TV head and 1x12 cab and that would be a great bedroom amp.

8. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    I'd agree with rdo1708 in that the Vox AC4 would be a good bedroom amp. The Laney Cub 10 is a very fine sounding amp too. Both are good with pedals in my experience. I have a Cub, Son has an AC4TV. If you ever want to 'play out', the Cub is the better bet. It can get loud enough to hang with a moderate drummer, the Vox gets rather lost. They sound quite different.
    ID Core. Tried one indirectly, albeit a 10 when trying out a pedal in-store once. Very impressive sound stage. Sounded good, try to try before buying.
    The micro terror is OK. I wasn't impressed, but nor was I able to criticise it really. It did the job in-store through a 1x12". I tried it out of curiosity. Curiosity sated.
    I've no direct experience of the others either as an in-store trial or owner. Go valve/tube would be my advice. They just sound and feel better.

9. jmwreck

jmwreck TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Thanks, I am now looking at the AC4C1-BL since my local shop doesn't have the AC4TV anymore. When you plug in to your 1x12 cab, can it compete with a 20W solid state amp or to the Micro Terror with 1x12 cab in terms of volume? (sorry for that question, I haven't had a chance to compare tube and SS at the same time). I want to know coz aside from bedroom use, I also want to use it (mostly) in small sessions.

I have upped my price range a bit, so I am also considering the Vox AV30.

Sorry for my OT post and thanks for the replies.

Last edited: May 25, 2016

10. VintageSG

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Volume wise, the AC4 and Micro Terror are quite close. The Orange edges it. My time with the Orange was limited and I was in a shop at the time. The Laney Cub 10 buries them both, then jumps up and down on them through external cabs.
    The Laney should be a try before buy though as it does sound rather different, doesn't do modern metal tones at all well but copes admirably with just about everything else I've asked it to do.
    I'm mostly playing poppy/grungey punk stuff. Green Day crossed with Dead Kennedys with a side order of Stooges crunch when I'm not old fart blues pentawaffling. It's a joy to play through.
    In terms of flexibility of use, the 'three knobs and a speaker cab' amps may prove a little frustrating. EQ'ing an amp you're 3feet away from is easier than EQ'ing an amp for a room when you've only a tone knob to work with
    What can you audition locally?. The flexibility of the AV30 could easily outweigh any sonic advantages the valvies hold.
    I'd be keenest personally on the Cub 10, but I'd audition the Vox. Video reviews show it to sound quite good and it does hold a range of sounds. A lot of the other amps listed are rather one sound. Take it, leave it, mould it with a pedal but still one sound.
    If you're wanting a pedal platform for testing designs, the Laney loves pedals!. It and the AC4 are missing a loop though, which the Micro Dark and AV30 give you.

11. jmwreck

jmwreck TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Singapore
    that was an impressive review, I was also on the lookout for the laney cub 10 since last week as my search on youtube brought me to a clip with ac4c1-bl being compared to the cub 10. the cub has more headroom obviously and as what you've mentioned, is great with pedals. However, based on the reviews, the cub has problems with it's thermal fuse, have you encountered it on your unit? I really like the orange micro terror, but I think I will be going with all tubes right now. but if I change my mind, I can go with the av series too. I can demo all the amps mentioned by the way.

12. VintageSG

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    The thermal fuse problems were restricted to an earlier production batch. Mine doesn't have that issue and as far as I can tell, the reports of the thermal fuse issue tailed off a couple of years ago.
    I don't think you'd be unhappy with any of the amps, but I would steer you toward double figures in terms of power output for jamming. The Orange is almost cheap enough to buy as well the others, and if you're developing pedals, more amps = more test tones = better products = profit.
    There, GAS solved. Buy amps to make money.
    I've actually paid attention to where in the world you are. Can you audition E-Wave, KLD, Joyo or any of the other locally manufactured amps?

jmwreck likes this.

13. jmwreck

jmwreck TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Singapore
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've finally decided to get this amp, so far so good

brapscallion likes this.

14. Brad Schmidt

Brad Schmidt TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Nampa, ID
    Joining the club soon; getting a MT for my birthday and me and my old man are going to build a 2x12 cab together :) im gigging with a band similar to High on Fire, and using a vintage Dean DBK combo amp, but really wanting the MT. Should i upgrade the tube in it to achieve similar tone to HOF? Or keep the stock tube?

15. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    Tube rolling (swapping the tube) is a good way to fine tune the tone you are after, through, the speaker selection and cab design are going to have the biggest affect on the tone. You will need to get the cab built and get the speakers broken in before you will really know what it's going to sound like, as the tone and distortion characteristics will shift till the speakers are fully broken in. You can try other tubes before, but be aware the shift as the speakers break in.

16. Brad Schmidt

Jun 20, 2016
    Nampa, ID
    Thanks for the reply! I joined the MT club today, and also started building my 2x12 with vintage celestians. Ill make sure to post pictures and videos :)

MadJack likes this.

17. Brad Schmidt

Jun 20, 2016
    Nampa, ID
    So, long story short, my old man just decided to donate his marshall 4x12 to me. Its vintage; though neither of us can put a date on it. All that he knows is that its from the 70's or the 80's (because it has the gold rods on top), and that its signed by Jim Marshall. But either way, im glad to have her, and here she is. (Im kind of a horror nerd, and i thought that a Jason Voorhees mask would look nice for my bedroom ;) ) image.png

Darkness, MadJack and Sune Andersson like this.

18. Brad Schmidt

Jun 20, 2016
    Nampa, ID
    image.jpeg Now, can anyone help me identify my marshall cab? All i know is that its a 4x12 from the 70's or 80's because of the gold piping, and its signed by Jim Marshall.

Attached Files:

19. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2013
    Milwaukee
    It's a 1935b bass cabinet.

20. Brad Schmidt

Jun 20, 2016
    Nampa, ID
    Thanks a bunch! I didnt know it was that easy haha.

21. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    I`ve just added a Micro Terror + PPC108 to my little amp amoury .. the head is fine if a bit bass light but was wondering if anyone has tried bass porting the PPC108 cab as it has to be the "smallest" sounding 8" speaker I`ve ever heard, I`m guessing its the size combined with the sealed cab because the Blackstar HT1R (also 8" and sealed but not as small ) sounds far deeper and less boxy even with the universally hated stock blackbird speaker (using the HT1R to compare itself to the Orange cab)..

thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.