Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

orange drop 225p vrs 715p ?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by cbnutt, Sep 18, 2017.

1. cbnutt

cbnutt Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2006
    lebanon missouri
    any difference when used in a guitar , if both are same value ? thanks .

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Probably not - I used the lower voltage version in a Gretsch and was starting to blame it for some cutting out issues the guitar has, but then I determined it's the new CTS pot instead. I don't know if it sounds better than a plain old ceramic disk but - when the pot wiper makes contact - it sounds good.

3. cbnutt

cbnutt Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2006
    lebanon missouri
    woops , not sure how I did this :) !

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

4. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I checked, 225p 100 volt which is a lot smaller than the 400 volt 715 series, .047uf and 500k pot (this is a Setzer, so no tone control). I am going to a 250k pot - it's a very bright set of Filter'trons and it seems many Setzer owners go down from 500k. 250k would be my choice for Tele singles except maybe Broadcasters.

5. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    225p are polyester and 715p are polypropylene. Some people hear a difference... some claim they hear a difference... Some do not. Your pots will play a much bigger role in your sound than those caps ever will.

6. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I used the 225 'cause it's tiny compared to the other and recommended by TV Jones. TBH, I reckon a plain old green poly cap from the local equivalent to Mouser works exactly as good/the same. But where's the bragging rights in that?

Huddy likes this.

7. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Exactly. All I use in Orange Drops so I'm the same way. I (think I) hear a difference in higher gain scenarios... But again, it could just be in my head.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

the problem is getting the exact same value, production variation of parts and all...

I try to use 100 to 200v caps and measure with a meter but I have used many sizes, even gasp ceramic disks! :eek:

There's a tonefiend youtube video on different types with the 'same' values, no changes, but you can listen.

9. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

OMG, here we go, 40 pages to follow.

LutherBurger and Huddy like this.

10. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

I think that the 225p are 10% tolerance, the 715p is 5% tolerance (+ or-)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.