Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Orange amp for jazz

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DOC DYA, Dec 7, 2017 at 5:34 AM.

1. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2012
    Luçon _ France
    The other night I played my first gig with my new Orange Crush 35 RT amp.

I play in a jazz band (piano, bass, drums, flute, another guitar player, alto sax and tenor sax). The room is not that large, so the two saxes don't need to be amplified. We play mostly 50's and 60's jazz standards, some bossa tunes, a little funk. It's a gig we play every month in a bar. Usually I take my Blues Jr whose power is more than enough for the place. I had already tried an Orange rockerverb 50 amp during a rehearsal and I had found it well suited for the type of jazz sound I was after (think Benson, more than Metheny) : powerful low mids and highs not too bright but with punch. Though the Crush 35 RT is not a tube amp and is much less powerful, I found a lot of similarities, soundwise, with the Rockerverb. Plus, you can turn the volume control (on the clean channel) to the max and still keep your sound clean. I played this gig with a Washburn J6 archtop and a G&L S500 Tribute and the two guitars sounded wonderful and the sound caracteristics (low and high mids specially) of the amp made me able to cut through the mix without pushing the volume. The 10'' « Voice of the world » speaker does a fine (punchy) job. Volume control on the amp at 12 o'clock (with a Morley Volume + in the pedal chain, volume control on both guitars at 8).

At home, I have also tried this amp with a Telecaster, a Les Paul Studio, all these guitars kept their tonal caracteristics and sounded amazing, specially the Les Paul.

Though I don't use the crunch channel that much, it is really nice as well. It takes me back to the 70's !

And at 25 lbs, my old back is very happy !...

Macasterj, Jakedog and radiocaster like this.

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Cool, I think the Micro Terror would sound good for that too.

Do you use the reverb in your Crush?

3. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2012
    Luçon _ France
    I only use the built-in reverb of the amp when I work at home (guitar + jack + amp). That reverb, though digital, is about as good as the one in my Blues Jr (spring tank). I never go past 11 o'clock, especially with humbuckers. On stage, I use a Hardwire RV7 that's on my pedalboard.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Your 35RT stays clean all the way up? Even with humbuckers?

One of the things I liked about mine was that it started breaking up around 1 o'clock, and by the time it was flat out, it was loud as hell, and nicely crunchy.

5. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    I used to use the clean channel of the cr60 when I owned it.

With a fully hollow guitar ( es-175 ) there was always just a hint of break up if I dug in, but for the most part it could stay clean. I used that amp for Kenny Burrell type Jazz Blues playing, and it sounded great to me and I really liked the tone I was getting. The Orange clean is very warm with a good amount of mids, which I really liked for that type of playing / sound.

The trick was tokeep the Master volume somewhat high and the channel volume below 12 O'clock, which kept the Clean channel in the first gain stage. This kept things clean, but dynamic. If I pushed the channel volume above 12 o'clock into the second gain stage, then it would start getting more dirty with the 175's humbuckers.

On the cr60 the clean channel has 2 gain stages, and the dirty channel has 4.

Jakedog and DOC DYA like this.

6. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest
    I use the MT with a mellower tube: 12AU7 but a 15" speaker. Very appropriate for jazz sessions!

Attached Files:

Jakedog and radiocaster like this.

7. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2012
    Luçon _ France
    First I never have the volume on the guitar at 10, but always at 8, to keep a little room, so it changes the reaction of the amp and I don't play that "hard" most of the time.
    Second, it depends of the guitar I use. My Telecaster, for instance, is a MIJ Custom whose PUs are not very powerful. It stays clean all the way. It's not the case with the Les Paul. It starts to crunch around 2 o' clock.
    The J6 is another case (it's not called the "Wes Montgomery model" for nothing). The humbuckers are powerful enough, but it would be difficult to push the volume on the guitar and the amp to the max with a full 17'' hollow body (3"3/4 depth). Mister Larsen would be all over the place!
    But the amp is very loud, considering its size and, until now, I haven't had a "chance (?)" to push it so hard on stage.

Jakedog likes this.

8. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I've seen a guy in a jazz duo with a small Orange Crush amp. The venue was small, and it was just two instruments and vocals (jazz standards, mostly). But the little amp--I'm not even sure it was a 35RT, may have been the 20--did a good job. Crushes aren't just for crunch.

Jakedog likes this.

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I tried a 12AU7, easy to dial in lower level sounds but overall the amp won't be very loud.

10. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

May 31, 2015
    Connecticut
    It’s a great amp. Two years plus and I never grow tired of it. I only use the clean channel and a bad horse boost, which is a KlonWampler TumnusKlon kinda deal. Sweet. I never turn it up last 1 o clock and I keep the bad horse at low gain and volume a tad boosted from unity. Amazing value. Makes me wanna try the cr 120 combo, but my Fender Prosonic is a better amp.

11. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    I love this little amp. Appropriate for moderate volume gigs, excellent cleans at gig volumes, nice crunch if you want it. Rich full tone, cuts nicely.

Not my only amp, but gets lots of use.

P

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.