Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Optimal Weight - what’s your number

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Peckhammer, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    I received a postal scale for Christmas, so i’ve been weighing everything in the house. I weighed all the guitars I had in close proximity yesterday. I am surprised by how similar they are. For me, ~7.5 lbs seems to be my sweet spot. 6lbs seems too light; not because of handling, but because it makes me perceive the guitar as toy-like. Anything over 8lbs probably would seem too heavy, and I doubt any of my other electrics weigh that much.

What’s your preferred weight?

Here are the weights of the guitars I measured:

Gibson LP Special Double Cut: 6lbs 3.5oz.
    Asher Ultratone Deluxe: 7lbs, 5.8 oz.
    Fender Telecaster Special: 7 8.3 oz.
    Supro Jamesport: 7lbs. 8.8 oz.
    M-Tone Counterpunch: 7lbs, 10.4 oz.
    Jazzmaster: 7lbs 12.2 oz.
    Gibson LP Special Single Cut: 7lbs. 13.3 oz.
    Fender Stratocaster: 7lbs, 15.6 oz.
    Gibson 335: 7lbs, 15.7 oz.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm supposed to be 190 lbs but that ain't ever happening. :oops:

3. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2011
    Michigan
    I think Ill get a postal scale to boost my enthusiasm.:)

Peckhammer likes this.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Any Les Paul under 9 pounds is nice.
    Both of mine are overweight.

Joe Sailor likes this.

5. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    6-6.5 lbs. I have a Guild Bluesbird that weighs 6.75 lbs and I wish it was just a bit lighter. All of my other electrics weigh between 6.25lbs and 6.4 lbs.

6. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    I've got a Gretsch Electromatic with a center-block, Bigsby, etc. I love to play but it weighs 9 lbs. At age 64 that's a bit much for me. Next electric will be hopefully in 6-7 lb range.

7. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    In response to customer demand guitar weights seem to have come down over the years. Indeed it's now both part of guitar marketing and presumably price, though I still boggle over non-chambered LPs going 8lbs or so given the neck-achers of my youth. I'd agree with the OP generally speaking: Low mid 7's for my Fenders (couple in the 6's) and SGs. 8 or so for Gibbies. Twixt and tween for PRS depending on model.

8. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2016
    Leicestershire UK
    etype, I'm always on the lookout for lightweight electrics. What are your others? I've got a 6.5lb telebration empress tele.

9. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    Not to hijack this thread, but why do you want that weight? Is it for gigging purposes? Ive seen really nice guitars not sell just because they are a bit heavy. There’s a 9lb tele Ive been eyeing. Personally I dont care about the weight. But its the first thing people ask when you go to sell a guitar and good luck trying to sell a heavy one.

Serenity23 likes this.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Didn't always care but now I stick with under 7lbs.
    Not only for back and neck problems holding it, but leaning over to grab a guitar off a stand multiplies the weight.
    Damage to my hands and wrists as well.
    I don't want sub 6lbs though, for feel and balance.
    To get what I like I put together parts Teles and Strats, the biggest part to search for being the body. A 4lb body makes a 7lb guitar, so I only buy bodies around 3.75, which is the light end of the range of weights with swamp ash and alder.

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Now that the old myth that heavy guitars sound better has been replaced by the myth that ultralight guitars sound better, you can get good deals on heavy guitars.
    I prefer medium weight, and by body it seems a Tele body can vary between 2lbs in really light paulownia and maybe 7lbs in really heavy ash.
    Add 3lbs for neck and hardware, we can have a 5lb to a 10lb tele.

Less crazy than paying extra for nitro!
    Or is it?

12. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Seven pound Teles balance nicely on a strap, but I've got a 5.5 lb paulownia partscaster that sure feels good in my lap.

I've got a boat anchor LP I'd be afraid to weigh. It's from the era when heavier was thought to be better.

13. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Seven point O pounds feels pretty darned good to me. Like wearing nothing with just a thick leather 3” strap.

14. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2017
    USA
    I like my guitars in the 7-8lb range! They seem to hang and balance best for me no matter the make/model, strange but true.
    Tele 64 thin skin avri, 7.49lbs
    EJ strat 7.4 lbs
    Featherweight wildwood R4, 7.89 lbs
    Featherweight wildwood R7 7.98 lbs
    Gretsch Black Falcon PE 7.86 lbs
    Fender Jazzmaster 64 closet classic 8.14lbs - breaks 8 lbs but not by much, and it "feels" like its lighter due to how ergonomically it hangs
    American Standard strat with TV jones pickups - 7.9 lbs, it was 7.6 or so lbs, but those filtertrons are dang heavy!
    Strat partscaster 7.6 lbs
    Fano px4 bass - mid 8lbs, but balances great, feels lighter for sure - killer bass btw, and I use it mainly for recording sitting down
    Kauer Banshee v1 (reverse firebird copy, pre Gibson cease and desist letter), 7lbs, incredibly no neck dive!

MilwMark likes this.

15. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    Guild Bluesbird and Aristocrat, Fender Cabronita, and two partcasters, one tele and one Jazzcaster. The Jazzcaster body was a Warmoth made with lightweight swamp ash and also chambered. Expensive body, but a 3.25 lb Jazzmaster body is pretty remarkable. I think the Aristocrat might be close to 5.5 lbs actually.

16. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I don't care about guitar weight. I spent 20 years playing a LP Custom that was over 12lbs and never had any problems doing 2 hour shows.

17. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2014
    UK
    Partscaster strat (4lbs 2oz Fender Eric Johnson body/ Musikraft neck/ Callaham steel bridge and Gotoh locking tuners)

-Weight 7lb 13.9oz (7.87 lb)

Fender American Vintage 52 Tele

-Weight 6lb 12.9oz (6.81 lb)

Gibson Custom 1958 reissue Les Paul

-Weight 9lb 0.9oz (9.06 lb)

Gibson USA flying V

-Weight just under 7 lb (didn't write it down and its currently in storage)

Dean Custom 550

-Weight 7lb 13.5oz (7.84 lb)

With the partcaster I was shooting for a lighter guitar but the body with the colour I wanted was 4lbs 2oz (Stratosphere) and the build grew arms and legs with a heavy Callaham steel tremolo and heavier than vintage Gotoh locking tuners. I could strip a few oz off by changing to a lighter bridge and non-locking tuners but not sure there would be a huge advantage in doing so.

I still think my "best" guitar is the R8 at a hair over 9 lbs but my lightweight AV 52 tele is always quite inviting when I go to grab one off the stand. I'm 6'2" and around 225 lbs so quibbling over a few oz here and there seems pointless. Having said that I wouldn't want a guitar much heavier than the R8, although its supposedly around the average weight for a "real" 1958 Les Paul going by the BOTB book.

18. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    You guys are a bunch of wimps!

2003 Muddy Waters Telecaster - 8.54 lbs.
    IMG_2362.JPG

1974 Les Paul Deluxe - 10.42 lbs.
    IMG_2364.JPG

jayyj likes this.

19. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I don't have an exact number.

I know my Tele is 7.5lbs and it's very comfy.

My LP is right around 8 and feels light for such a substantial guitar.

My Roadhouse Strat is at least 9lbs. Doesn't bother me at that weight though.

About the only one that did bother me (a little) was MP Thinline that was feather light. Sort of felt like a toy.

20. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I can honestly tell you I've never weighed any of my guitars. I know more by feel and don't expect my Strat, LP, SG, etc... to all weigh the same.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.