Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Opinions please. Hairline? Scratch? Scary or not?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ScribbleSomething, Jun 13, 2018.

1. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 12, 2016
    San Antonio
    Hey Everyone,
    Im looking at an 95 epiphone riviera online.

It’s priced where I’m not expecting it to be perfect. And I’m supposed to meet the guy tomorrow to take a look.

When I first expressed interest I asked if it was all original. He replied that he thought so but wasn’t the original owner so he couldn’t be sure. Then he brought up after he had the guitar a while he noticed a hairline crack on the back of the neck. Also that the frets are kind of buzzy, but a tech should be able to fix that up.

So I asked for pictures the hairline.

D9EE386E-29CC-402A-A5A3-152136658912.jpeg 73B12340-1BFE-4F24-A465-53A170E4D180.jpeg

From the photo it looks like a scratch to me. But could it be an indication of anything else? Like a broken truss rod?

I’ve set up enough guitars that I can tell if a truss rod or bridge needs adjustment. But if the truss rod it toast there won’t be much I can do.

What does everyone else think?

2. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Super hard to tell from the pics but it doesn't look structural and may be able to be polished out.

ScribbleSomething likes this.

3. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2004
    If that is a crack you wont want it.

A crack in that area usually means that the truss channel is too shallow and
    when the rod was tightened it popped the wood.

So there will not be a lot of wood to glue, since the area will be thin.

jayyj, 2blue2 and ScribbleSomething like this.

4. ScribbleSomething

Mar 12, 2016
    San Antonio

5. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I think you've probably answered your own question. If it's a busted neck due to a poorly inserted / adjusted truss rod, walk (or run) away.

If it's just a scratch, so long as the guitar's price reflects the fact and you're not intending to sell it on for more than you paid, it seems like a no-brainer.

ScribbleSomething likes this.

6. ScribbleSomething

Mar 12, 2016
    San Antonio
    Thanks every one. I had never encountered a hairline in that position so I didn’t know what to make of it.

Since the owner describes it as a crack, though finish/hairline, I have to pass. Oh well.

When a price is too good sometimes it’s too bad.

Obsessed likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.