Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Opinions on wiring harnesses

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by holgaguy, Sep 16, 2017.

1. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

Apr 23, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I've been struggling with trying to install a new volume pot on my Tele (3-way switch). I am about to give up. I've built a Tele, installed various pickups on others, replaced pots too. Can't get this one to work - doesn't change the volume and there's incredible buzzing.

Are wiring harnesses a good thing or bad?

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Try a different pot and re-float all your connections. Most pre loaded harnesses seem expensive to me, but I do all my own work.

People talk about over heating a pot. I've never had it happen to me. I'm sure it's possible.

I've had some shaky grounds, just re-heated them, no problem.

You'll work through it, I'm sure. Start completely over if you need to.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    You don't need a wiring harness. You need a multimeter, and a quick refresher in troubleshooting, and perhaps soldering.

Pre-made harnesses are for those folks who don't solder, and don't care to try.

4. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

Apr 23, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I went back over it and found that the capacitor wasn't firmly attached to the pot. Duh. So it works now. Moral is; don't panic.

moosie - I probably should revisit how to solder. :)

LutherBurger, Nickfl and AAT65 like this.

5. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Capacitor on volume pot?

If you mean a treble bleed / treble bypass cap, lifting one leg should just remove the bypass effect - the volume pot should work mostly as normal.

??

telemnemonics likes this.

6. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

Apr 23, 2003
    Massachusetts
    No, just the regular cap. It's working fine now (I hope). On my way to a gig (keeping my fingers crossed).

7. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    But the "regular" cap is a TONE cap. If connected to the proper terminals, there's no way I can see how it would adversely affect volume pot operation.

If you want to pursue, post a pic when you get a chance.

8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Its very easy to fry a pot , but its also easy to avoid.
    Take the casing off from the pot , and attach the blob of solder you need without heating the internals.

9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I've screwed up my volume control by failing to make a good connection where the cap lead passes through Lug 1 (almost standard Fender wiring, in which the lug isn't bent back and soldered to the pot, but is connected to the pot case via the cap lead). It left the volume pot ungrounded.

I think that may be what @holgaguy did, too.

SPUDCASTER likes this.

10. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

^^probably^^

An easy mistake.

11. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I'm not sure how that failure scenario would apply here. That would result in a noisy ungrounded volume pot, yes. But if I understood correctly, the OP also said volume did not change when moving the wiper.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Sounds like a fair theory but how would a Tele vol pot get ungrounded when attached to the metal control plate?

Maybe the OP forgot to connect the pickup/ bridge neg/ ground wires to the controls, and only ran the neg/ grounds to the jack?
    That might make the pots not work, have to think about it.

moosie likes this.

13. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I was poking at a similar thing. It's all too common that folks treat signal common and ground as the same. They ARE, in this case, but it's still a poor idea to rely on a pot shell noise-avoidance ground connection to provide common continuity. It's a peeve of mine. Same as relying on control plate contact (I've had flaking plating cause lost contact, to say nothing of a loose nut). Regardless, noise is one thing. Silence on stage is another.

Anyway, I suspect we don't have all the information here...

14. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    If the volume pot's case is connected to ground but its Lug 1 isn't properly connected to the case, it won't work.

15. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    True.

16. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Oh, I see what you're saying. The cap lead pass-thru was grounded to the shell correctly, but the lug wasn't properly filled with solder...

That does seem to cover the issues. Sorry, I mis-read it before, thinking that you were just talking about grounding.

17. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Yes, exactly. I should have worded it more clearly the first time, but it was early and I only had one cup of coffee in me.

18. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Right OK, the vol pot is grounded, but the vol pot lug is not grounded to the pot case because the tone cap leg that both grounds the tone pot cap to the vol pot, and grounds the lug of the vol pot to the case, is not soldered to the lug, only to the vol pot case.

I do tend to run a ground wire connecting the vol lug to the vol case rather than bend the lug to the case, but I never run the tone cap ground leg to ground on the vol pot.
    I know it's a common method though.

19. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I do it that way because it's easy and I am a lazy, lazy man.

20. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Ha ha yeah I'm not doing any of that display wiring sold on cardboard!
    I like to run a longer wire from lug to case and then connect my other grounds to the extra wire. Faster and less fiddly than soldering all the pickup wires to the case. Not very pretty though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.