Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Opinions on this Grizzly Planer

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by callasabra, Dec 29, 2017.

1. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    This Grizzly planer and dust collector has been recently listed on a local sale page.
    grizzly1.PNG
    3hp Grizzly 20 inch planer with 1.5hp Grizzly dust collector. The owner used it to make cabinets, mostly for planing door panels. He is asking $1,650 for both.

Both run on 220 so I will need help getting it up and running.

Any one have any thoughts, opinions they want to share as to whether this is a good deal?

imploration likes this.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    You won't be moving it around much. I had a delta 13 like that at one time. Those are real planers unlike the tin and plastic ones you can get today for a few hundred dollars. At about the same time I had a Grizzly dust collector that I bought for work. Those bags put out a puff of fine dust when you start up. I'd try to get a paper canister for that if you can. A 1 micron bag is an option I guess. I think the real fine dust that escapes is the deadly stuff.

callasabra likes this.

3. callasabra

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    Thanks @guitarbuilder. It does not have casters so once I put it in place, it will stay. Also, it will require dedicated 220 power, so that will involve some permancy.

Do you think the price is reasonable? the owner indicated it is several years old.

4. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Given the price of a new one, it is not a great deal. OK, but not great.

callasabra likes this.

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    For less than that I bought a router table, several routers, a 6" jointer, a small table saw and a slotting blade, a 13" planer, a 14" bandsaw, a ROSS and a 15" drill press.

Nickfl and callasabra like this.

6. callasabra

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    That was my initial thought, but I don't really know much about these machines. shipping on a new one would be $200+.

That is a heck of a deal. I have been watching my local sale papers and sites. For some reason the people in my area over-price their worn out tools and equipment.

I don't "NEED" the planer. I have a WEN 12.5 inch planer now that I bought earlier this year and it does fine for what it is, but I have already pushed it to its limitations.

7. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    Which model is it? It looks like grizzly 20" planers can be anywhere from $1500 to $5k new. Those dust collectors don't sell for much used (people may list them for more, but it seems like they never sell for more that maybe $200) so you're mostly paying for the planer.

Imo, a planer like that is overkill for guitar making. A 13" rigid/Delta/DeWalt like they sell at home Depot will get the job done and should be obtainable for around $200 used. That and a 6" jointer (I for mine for $100 used) is all you need for making guitar bodies and other hobby level stuff. I'd only consider spending the money for something like the grizzly if you're also going to be doing a lot of cabinetry or something.

callasabra likes this.

8. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    I had a smaller Grizzly planer and still have one of their drill presses. They make pretty good tools for the price. Mine was not that model but I sold mine for waaaaaay less than that.

callasabra likes this.

9. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Unless you're going to be making large panels, a 20" planer is overkill. If you want a large planer, go this route:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-Planer/G0453

I just found one of these on my local CL for $450, but I passed on it. It was just too big for my space.

callasabra likes this.

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Seems a bit high considering a new one is $1495. For guitar work a 13" is pretty much all you need.

callasabra likes this.

11. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    For a hobby guitar builder, I think it's way overpriced, regardless of its actual value. And seeing as how it is priced pretty much the same as brand-new planers with factory warranties, I would pass on it. If you need a 20-incher, look at new ones, or used ones that are a reasonable deal. A 13" DeWalt two-speed, 3-knife jointer can be bought, with shipping for are under $650, leaving about a grand for other tools and materials, or leave it in the bank. The DeWalt is more portable, runs on 120 volts, and won't come to you with an unknown history. It's great to find commercial or light industrial machines, if you have the room and the inclination to fiddle, if they're priced low enough. This one is not that.

imploration and callasabra like this.

12. callasabra

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    I agree, this is not enough of a deal to justify. I am going to pass on it. I don't need the 20 inch and I already have a 12 inch planer that I am happy with.

Thanks to all for the advice.

13. imploration

imploration Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Yeah, and that dewalt has 10 minute blade changes! Major plus!:)

callasabra likes this.

14. PapaWheelie

PapaWheelie Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Unless you're planning using these to help make a living with, I agree with those above who think it's way overkill. I have a 13" Ridgid planner and feel that it's more than adequate for my guitar making. The Dewalt is another great machine and as a plus you can move them to the side when not in use and save a whole lot of space in the shop.

callasabra likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.