Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Opinions on Bugera V22HD Infinium?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by LowThudd, Nov 12, 2017.

1. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I like my Super Champ X2 OK on channel 1, but I would kind of like to get a REAL Tube amp. I am looking at the V22HD. Seems like a decent amp in that price range. Are there any issues with these? Is there an amp I should consider instead?

Mainly I am looking for something that has a little more natural drive than my X2. I played with channel 2 quite a bit, and can get decent sound. Just would like something more "organic".

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    If that's how you plan to use it, I don't think it's the amp for you. I say that as a satisfied owner since March 2016.

It's a very decent amp for a clean channel pedal platform. Gets loud. Has lots of clean headroom. Takes pedals really well. Has some nice features - mid boost, loop, two inputs, presence, pentode/triode mode, so-so digital reverb. It's pretty bright and a Cannabis Rex was a good speaker for it.

It's been very reliable for me and I've put lots of hours on it. I use it as a backup for gigs mostly these days.

The drive channel is pretty terrible. If you're looking for a vintage type overdrive, this isn't the amp.

Doghouse_Riley and LowThudd like this.

3. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I mostly play pretty clean, with a little break up. But it sounds as if the drive channel won't work for me. Thanks for the input.

Anything else in this price range I should look at?

4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I will say this - if you use the clean channel, mid boost engaged, and the preamp gain about 5, master up a bit, you can get a pretty good edge of breakup sound. Still, to take it over the edge in a pleasing way I think you'd be better off with a pedal. Either way, if you can demo it I'd try that configuration.

Anyway, as far as other options go, I liked the AC10 and the Vox Night Train when I tried them. Bassbreaker 15 as well, though I'm not sure about your price range.

Colors and LowThudd like this.

5. sctrotts

sctrotts TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

May 9, 2014
    Ottawa, On, Canada
    The Bugera V22 inf. is on my purchase list as well. I don't see many used though here in Canada anyways... at least not around a $400 budget for tube amp. But, open to suggestions on similar amps.

6. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I spent the same amount (as a new V22) on a used Deville and just saw a HRD for $50 less than that. Spent $100 less for a 1966 Ampeg believe it or not!

The first two share some similarities- good cleans, meh drive channels, loops, mediocre reverb. If you gave me a choice I'd probably pick the Fenders though.

The Ampeg is a different thing altogether.

7. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    Another vote for the AC10 or Fender Bassbreaker. Those might get you the sound you are after.

8. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Missouri
    I thought about the Bugera 22 watt combo. I’m hesitant and will pass, because there are no local authorized service centers near me.

There are authorized services in my area for every other amp manufacturer, but not Bugera. Any thing that goes wrong with it would require shipping it out. I don’t want that headache.

9. Texas_tele2015

Texas_tele2015 Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2014
    Mesquite, TX
    Hello. I have the Bugera 5w Infinium V5 and for what it is it sounds great especially clean and someone other than me playing through it....lol but the V22 was going to be my next choice until I found a deal on a Blues Deluxe used. 40w and 6l6 sweetness but a bit loud. Happened on a tweed Blues Jr and have been loving it so much decided to attempt a build of a 5f1 Champ clone. For cleans Fender thus far has worked for me.

10. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    In thinking about it, I really don't "need" a 15-20 watt head. You think the Bassbreaker 007 would get me the edge of breakup drive I am looking for?

11. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    I only spent a minute fiddling with a 007 and I had it gained up pretty good. I think it would get you the edge of breakup you are looking for but I don't know how loud you will need it when that happens. Smaller tube amps like that tend to have less clean headroom so edge of breakup will happen at a lower overall volume. The only way to know for sure would be to play one yourself and see. It is probably fine unless you are trying to play clean with a loud drummer.

12. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Thanks. Mostly looking for an at home solo practice amp. I can get some decent noise with my SC X2 if I need to be loud. It just doesn't really have a nice driven tube sound at lower volumes. Sounds like either the Bassbreaker or the Vox 10 might fit the bill nicely.

13. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

Jun 6, 2011
    Leighton Buzzard
    I've got a v22 infinium combo and absolutely love it , I wasn't sure about the gain channel at first but in a gig situation it really cuts through . I'm not sure how the hd sounds with a cab but the turbosound speaker on this sounds so warm and full sounding . Btw the stock valves don't last that long so look to change them for something decent.

14. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    If there's no master volume or variable wattage control, a 5-7 watt amp will be loud as hell by the time it gets to that point in my experience. Way too loud for playing at home and not bothering everyone inside.

The BB15 has a master and three levels of gain. It's a neat little amp.

15. rave

rave Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I saw one used at GC for 175 US dollars.

ecoast likes this.

16. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    That BB15 does sound great. One of the reviewers mentioned that he liked the Peavey Classic 20 better. I'm checking out some reviews right now.

17. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Monoprice 15W tube amp if you want really nice tube overdrive and not pristine cleans. Don;t mind the playing

18. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ
    I paid 230 shipped b stock direct from music group in vegas

liked it so much I bout a t50... that caused sale of v22h

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.