Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Opinions on Aluminium Guitars?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Strico, May 12, 2013.

1. Strico

Strico TDPRI Member

May 12, 2013
    Nottingham uk

Hi Thanks for the comments,

I use 6082 Aluminium, this is aircraft quality has good corosion resistance polishes up nice as its quiet hard for aluminium. Your point about expansion is interesting and is on i have seen used as a negative for this type of instrument having looked up a few basics the lineat expansion of Aluminium is 22x10-6 mm per degree of temperature rise steel (ie the strings ) expand at 13x10-6mm per degree giving a differece of 9x10-6mm per degree however wood (though this is very variable) is quoted at 4x10-6mm per degree so with steel string the expansion difference between wood and steel is 9x10-6mm per degree. So in theory they would both go out of tune at the same rate if temperature is the only factor. I am certain that a Aluminium neck will not warp be affected by humidity or need any adjustment you could bury one of these in the garden for ten years then dig it up and the guitar structure would not need any work!! I guess the feel would be the biggest hurdle to get over A friend has gigged the red and black guitar and he is used to les pauls and i think it took him a couple of practices to get on board now however he loves it, i just have to remind him it's on loan!! Someone else commented on them being cold and to be fair i wouldn't be too keen on playing it outside in the winter but anywere else it is absolutly fine. Again if you left it outside in your car then brought in inside it will feel cold but left in normal temperatures or allowed to acclimatize then tuned it will stay in tune no problem.

Again i realy appreciate your interst.

Cheers

Mark

2. Good Iron

Good Iron Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 25, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Very talented people here at the tdpri !

Very impressive guitar(s) you have built sir !

I take no offence as Iron would be much too heavy!

And no ~8 #'s is a respectable and reasonable weight, of course

Good Iron

3. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

Feb 20, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Aluminium necks have been used since the 60s and became relatively popular during the late 70s to early 80s, Kramer and Travis Bean were the most well known exponents. They didn't catch on for various reasons, the cold feel, weight and tuning stability (real or perceived) seem to be the most often quoted problems.

Rick Toone is currently using a solid machined aluminium neck on some of his guitars. His designs are more radical than most guitarists are willing to accept so his customers may also be more willing to embrace the different feel of aluminium, and cope with tuning instability if it occurs.

There's lots of information about aluminium necks online, its worth taking a look to what has been done before and why they didn't catch on. If you can overcome the problems (you seem to have solved the weight issue), you could be onto a winner.

4. Strico

Strico TDPRI Member

May 12, 2013
    Nottingham uk
    Hi,

There have been many try aluminium as far as i can see over the years, personally i love some of the old Wandre guitars and i think some guitars were even built way back in the 30s with aluminium. Travis bean and veleno etc seem very popular but maybe suffer from weight issues and some are mega money.The electrical guitar company produce some lovely instruments and have a thru neck which i think is the way to go but didn't really fit with a classic t style so tried to remain faithful to the concept were i could and do cosmetics that i think were tastefull without being too personal. The other guitar I have built has a neck thru and does sound lovely the sustain is epic (pics are on facebook page). Kramer put wood inserts in to appease the cold feel but honestly you will either love or hate, to me the neck just feels more taut, with eveything hollow you do get a nice reponse vibrating through the whole guitar which has been commented as a major positive in terms of playing feedback. I think the natural shielding would help with recording too. I have been very surprised by so many positive comments as i honestly did not expect it.

Cheers

Mark

5. Strico

Strico TDPRI Member

May 12, 2013
    Nottingham uk
    double post

Last edited: May 17, 2013

6. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2011
    Hopkinton, MA
    Boy....I'd love to play (or own) one of those. If you ever start selling, I think you'll do well. As mentioned, maybe the traditionalists would not embrace this concept, but there are plenty (like me) who are more interested in function and novel ideas. I'm waiting for the "anodising vs nitro...which allows true tone" thread to appear.

7. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Wowsers, these are pretty special. I like them.

8. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    I tell you what, I'm drivin' over to that UK and pick one up!
    Should I pack a bunch of Red Bull for the drive?

:)

9. Tom Coyle

Tom Coyle Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2011
    From Michigan
    Beautiful work

I read an interview with Les Paul who built 3 or 4 aluminum guitars 50-60 years ago. He said the big problem with tuning instability showed up when he was playing with The Andrews Sisters. As the spotlights switched back and forth between him and TAS, the guitar would go in and out of tune severly.

In a more stable temp/light environment, it should work just fine.

Tom

10. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2012
    Toronto
    I guess I'm too much of a traditionalist to consider owning a guitar like these. But dude, those guitars are seriously cool. VERY impressive work.

11. razzledog

razzledog TDPRI Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Croydon
    Me too....:D

12. Strico

Strico TDPRI Member

May 12, 2013
    Nottingham uk
    I am gonna get a friend to record me a demo for these guitars as i think the sound and tone may well suprise a few people. What songs could be described as a t-style standard? Ideally i want him to do a country, blues and rock montage but not really sure what clasically shows a t-style off best?

Cheers

Mark

13. blimpo

blimpo Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2009
    southern indiana
    Aluminium would be ok, but watch out for hail storms

14. Strico

Strico TDPRI Member

May 12, 2013
    Nottingham uk
    For anyone interested i have a walk round video ofthe chrome guitar on my face book,
    https://www.facebook.com/MjStricklandGuitars

I think this shows it off a little better than the pictures earlier in the thread.

Cheers

Mark

15. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

16. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2009
    Burslem
    Amazing work.....first class engineering.

While the neck is the most interesting and original part of this "Alumni-caster" would a traditional telecaster neck fit on a fully loaded body....there are some fine neck makers in the uk.....and if so how much would the Bare Knuckle loaded bodies cost?
    For many the option to buy an "alu" tele body for a partscaster would be hard to resist.

17. Strico

Strico TDPRI Member

May 12, 2013
    Nottingham uk
    A off the shelf fender neck would not fit, I have not copied any dimensions from an original guitar all the dimensions on these guitars are to my design, of course a body could be machined to fit any existing neck if so desired. My next builds (j types) will have wooden fret boards as a kind member of this forum has sent me 2 blanks to try (thanks Mac). Obviously wood is seen as a big loss to many and i totally get this, but from a engineering view of the instrument its integrity is improved by the Aluminium however a customer IS always right so anything is possible!!!:)

18. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2009
    Burslem
    Strico....thanks for the reply.
    So a custom neck from a uk neck maker could be sourced to fit the neck pocket on the standard loaded "alu" body or equally an "alu" body could be machined such that a standard telecaster neck would fit....excellent news.
    Is there any plans to make available to the public fully loaded "alu" telecaster bodies
    preferably machined to accept the standard telecaster neck....kinda think a "snakehead" headstock would look kinda cool in a national/dobro stylee......
    look forward to seeing more developments...keep up the stella work.

19. Strico

Strico TDPRI Member

May 12, 2013
    Nottingham uk
    I know they are not T types but following on, anybody into J types? Scratch plate are next to make, neck and fretborads will be as per the T types. I might leave natural raw aluminium then make a plexi glass scratchplate, any suggestions?

Attached Files:

20. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

Well, this just keeps getting better and better. I'm sure you will come up with something tasteful as before Mark but the plexi idea has some merit as long as the internal wiring is nice and tidy.
    Keep up the good work....

Mac

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.