Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Opinions on Aluminium Guitars?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Strico, May 12, 2013.

1. Strico

Strico TDPRI Member

Hi , I am a newbie to these boards, I have had a passion for Guitars and guitar music for longer than i care to remember. In my daily life i am a engineer and have always thought of making a guitar something i can give to my son and say your dad made that! Hopefully something tangible to leave behind if i am not around. Well i managed to set a side some time & have a forgiving employer who lets me use machines out of work time, Now a wood machinist i am not i prefer metal. So i designed from scratch a T type guitar then made the whole lot out of Aluminium and anodised it. I guess they will polorize opinion but people who have played them all say nice things. The negative will be weight (8lbs 1oz is that too heavy?) and expansion affecting the tuning, but in reality it doesnt have much difference afterall the strings are metal so will expand much more than wood but with aluminium you have a really stable platform.

Opinions good or bad would be gratefully received!!

Cheers

Mark

Attached Files:

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

That is AWESOME! Especially the headstock. If you have any more pics of it in-process, we'd love to see 'em.

Welcome!

3. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

I don't anything about aluminum guitar but that's a gorgeous guitar, nicely done. Is it a aluminum fret board too ?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Cool as can be. I think I would like a black headstock and knobs better.

6. Strico

Strico TDPRI Member

Thanks for the kind comments, the guitar pictured has a aluminium fretboard with vintage nickel frets,i have so far built 3 of this type and 1 custom shape. It is quiet addictive & challenging i sometimes struggle for time as it is a very long process to make all the items from scratch in billet material. I have fitted bare knuckle pickups to the t type guitars which are very cool hpefully one day i will have a go at winding my own. I wanted to do away were possible with all the screws showing on the front face so it is all hidden inside the hollow 2 peice body with only the pickup adjustment screws visable this still alolows for scratch & control plates to be changed for colour or texture. A friend of mine has started a facebook page for me this has a lot more pictures if anyone is interested.

https://www.facebook.com/MjStricklandGuitars

Cheers

Mark

7. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

I played one once and it sounded really good.

But, I am sure the design, metal thickness etc is as individual as each company's guitar.

BTW: Yours is GREAT!!

8. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Beauiful.

How is aluminium as a tonewood? ;-)

9. Strico

Strico TDPRI Member

I am a poor player but in the right hands it does sound pretty awesome and i get a real kick out of seeing somebody playing them. The sound is bright clear with endless sustain. Hopefully i will get some sound clips added to the facebook page or maybe on youtube at some point i have attached a few build photos in no particular order.

Cheers

Mark

Attached Files:

10. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

WOW. Pretty amazing what you can make with the appropriate tools. I would imagine you could sell these for a pretty penny although I'm guessing that was not your original plan.

The ashtray bridge looks especially swish compared to the stamped steel version.

Great work all round fellah , hats off to you.

M

11. razzledog

razzledog TDPRI Member

I make many cameras and related parts out of aluminium and figured I was pretty smart...until I saw this. I'm originally from Leicester, not far from you..must be something common to the area..LOL.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  12. Strico

Strico TDPRI Member

Thanks for the positive comments a few more pics attached of one of the 3 i have built this wasn't quite finished when these pictures were taken no string trees and setup but should give the idea. I am glad they don't offend anyone. I am in the process of building a J type for a friend though it takes a while to model all the parts and then find time to make them.

Cheers

Mark

Attached Files:

13. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

The rear pickup appears to not be as 'treble angled' as on trad Teles.
    I like that. That may take away some of the ice pick tone there!

14. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

15. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

Really great work Mark. Great choice on the Bare Knuckles too!!

16. Strico

Strico TDPRI Member

Thanks i have fitted each guitar with a different set, the red & black has piledrivers , the all black has brown sugars & the chrome one has country boys. Was impressed with them and very good service too.

Attached Files:

17. Strico

Strico TDPRI Member

If you are ever up this way you are welcome to road test one!! Like i say i am an engineer first and a guitarist last. Thanks for the comments!

18. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

You didn't by any chance post any machining vids on You Tube ?

Also I'm curious as to how you arrived at your neck 'carve '. Did you map it from an existing neck that was known to be good ? To follow on from that what do you do about tweaking the shape , can you re machine the profile readily ?

Please post loads of pics , there are fellahs here that may not have locked on to this yet.

Cheers Mac

19. TheCheezyTeen

TheCheezyTeen Tele-Meister

20. Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief Tele-Holic

Lovely job, I like these very much.:cool:

21. magicguitar

magicguitar Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely amazing! Very nice work and those are some exceptionally COOL guitars!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.