Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Opinions on 70s teles please

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Jasonspaceman0, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Jasonspaceman0

Jasonspaceman0 TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2012
    United Kingdom
    So my dream tele is a late 60's (66-68) blonde / white plate / maple neck.

But unless I sell a few beloved guitars I'm looking at a 70s model.

Thoughts please on the reduction in quality post CBS and into the 70's?

I have a '76 custom which sounds fantastic (very very rich creamy sound, even on the bridge pup), but is tricky to setup, and goes out of setup more quickly than my modern teles, I'd quite like to avoid this sort of thing, but difficult to tell unless you've had one for a while. I also don't like the thick poly finish - I also had a 78 mustang with a super thick ploy finish that chipped really easily one a hole had started - opinions on the post nitro early 70s ply finishes please?

I'll probably be buying on ebay too - I'm pretty experienced at that tho, don't mind the risk of getting a true dog, they can always be moved on at little loss...

2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    A new 52 RI is a better guitar than any 70's model. IMHO...

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    For the same money, you could get a Custom Shop re-creation of whatever 60's model (or 50's model) you want.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Jasonspaceman0

Jasonspaceman0 TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2012
    United Kingdom
    or the same money, you could get a Custom Shop re-creation of whatever 60's model (or 50's model) you want.

....well I got a CS that is pretty much how I like it, I play it loads but it just feels knid of too new... I do like and old played in neck..... the older ones do have more soul

6. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Holic

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    I think nothing replaces old wood, and at least the tellies from the 70's are old wood. Quality is lower, it's true, poly finish isn't as sweet, it's true, but you can find some incredibly sounding instruments. Sometimes it's worth modifying the electronics, changing wires, changing pickups. My first vintage telly was a 72 refined in natural nitro with rewound pickup at bridge and Dimarzio twang king at neck. One of the best sounding telecaster ever. I didn't like much the neck (I have small hands, so my feeling to the neck is a priority), so I sold it to a friend professional musician that still talks of it to me each time we meet as his favorite telecaster. I had a good 75 and now I kept another 72 with a neck I like a lot and that sounds great too (with great modern copies of vintage pickups, crafted in Paris). You can find food for vintage starving in the 70's, with really enjoyables instruments. And starting from there, when you take some bites of the oldest woods, you know exactly why it's even so much better!! Yum.

7. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Feb 9, 2009
    London, England
    Fender's quality control was at rock bottom in the 70's and the thick poly finish wasn't their finest moment either.

They made a lot of bad guitars and they also made some great ones. Saying a brand new guitar is better than any 70's model just isn't true - like saying that any 50s guitar is better than any modern guitar - there some crap guitars that slipped through the net at every stage in Fender's history as well as some amazing ones.

Regarding '70s ones vs 60's or earlier, you'll probably have to kiss a higher number of frogs before you find your prince(ss).

I'd put my mid '70s Tele custom up against any other Fender from any era - even with its 3 bolt tilt neck (which standard Teles of that era never got).

8. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    "...for the money..." is another good reason to buy an original vintage guitar. It's always nice to have original instruments and they would typically resell for the same value too. A new guitar is like a new car when you drive it off the lot, only the original buyer is paying retail for it. I know that guitars are tools for the working musician, but they are not 'only' tools. When I spend good money on good tools, good guitars can be a considerable investment, and I treat them as such.
    A lot of the must-have guitar purchases feed an immediate GAS pain, but if I played out and required something specific it's too easy to build exactly what I want to worry about Vintage of Custom Shop, at a small fraction of the cost as well.

9. telex76

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Just get one like this.

Attached Files:

10. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Holic

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    yo

Very nice light blonde what year is it 54 - 56?

11. telex76

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Kind of a combo of early and mid 50's specs.

12. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2006
    Arizona
    I've never played a 70s tele I liked. I don't want to dog on an entire decade's worth of guitars, but that's been my experience. Furthermore, if its the feel of worn wood you're after, I don't think you'll find it on a 70s tele. They had an extremely thick, sticky finish that didn't wear like a 50s guitar.

Jus tmy opinions

13. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2010
    Jersey Shore
    Well I'm biased, I got my 73 almost new back in high school. Recently I brought it to Rob DiStefano for some attention. The neck pickup was toast, he re wound it and he also removed the original bridge pick up which I found to be kind of ice picky and he installed one of his Cavilier Lions. He removed the entire wiring harness to preserve in case I sell etc and installed new pots, replacing the 1 Meg tone pot with a 250K and a 4 way. Huge tonal improvement as far as I'm concerned. The pickups have some balls for sure.

The guitar itself has a great feel, the neck back is very smooth, the neck is a chunky D, I like big necks and this one doesn't disappoint. The neck pocket is tight as hell. Yes it's poly but I could care less. I'm not much up on vintage guitars, I had a 59 Strat back in the day and from what I can remember all 3 of my newer Strats (2 Am Stds and a 62 Hot Rod are much better). Never had a pre CBS Tele so I can't comment on them.

I also have a CS Nocaster, 52 RI, 52 Hot Rod, Kirn Barn Buster and an AM STD. My 73 holds it's own against all of them especially with the new electronics. I recently A B'd it with my Nocaster, all I can say is both are awesome, I would be very hard pressed to choose one over the other. I'm sure that there where dogs from each era including the 70s but mine isn't one. If it was I would have sold it off and gotten something else.

I took a bunch of pictures the other night, many didn't come out well, poor lighting, will try again, some are ok.

Here's a few pictures of the neck of my Nocaster with the 73's neck, the Nocaster is the lower one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

Jun 9, 2012
    Norway
    I had a very nice 74 blonde w/RW board. Played and sounded great!
    But I sold to fund a maple capped `68, and I haven`t regretted it for one second. The `68 is that much better imo. So save up some extra, and get a late 60s maple cap. You won`t regret it :)

15. hemmings

hemmings Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2010
    vancouver
    Rubbish. There are some great Teles made in the 70's, especially from the very early 1970's. Making a blanket statement like that is ridiculous.:rolleyes:

16. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    I have a 71 that is better than dan1952's 52ri.

17. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    Some people like the polyester finish on the neck and body. I don't.
    Anyway, the OP asked for "opinions." (BTW, I've owned, aside from the ones that have come through my shop in 19 years, over 200 American Teles myself, including a '54 Esquire, a '58 toploader, several '67's with Bigsbys, a '68 maple cap, a '69 maple cap, and more '70's than I can list here...)

18. RobbieC

RobbieC TDPRI Member

May 28, 2009
    Macon, GA
    Get a reissue. I've had many real early 60s Teles and also a 67, 72, and 84. The bodies are very heavy and just don't have the feel. The was Fender's worst period. They were overwhelmed with orders and the CBS bean counters were trying to cut costs everywhere...less skilled workers, inferior wood, and stupid "innovations" like the tilt neck aimed at lowering warranty costs.

I have a 2005 Eric Johnson strat and it is, arguably, as good as any 57 ever made. My friends 1997 '57 reissue Strat (v-serial) is here and it is a doozy. Needed more setup work and tweaking than the EJ, but killer.

19. Pete W

Pete W Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2013
    Canada
    It's like any guitar from any year, play it and if you like it buy it.
    As mentioned Fender has made great guitars in every year and some not so great.
    If you try and buy a guitar based on forum opinions you are more likely to have your head explode and buy nothing.

20. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    I should have added a :lol: Internet doesn't show me snickering when I type these things :lol:
    What I should have said is that I have a '71 which is outstanding :lol: I don't think you can generalize about 10 years worth of guitars. You'll find good and bad ones, and people's tastes vary. So if you like them, and find a good one at a reasonable price I'd get one if I were you :)

21. TexGoneNW

TexGoneNW Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2003
    Victoria, TX
    This.

I have a '71 that is awesome. Yes, heavy, Fullerplast, poly finish neck, but it has mojo. Knew it when I picked it up in '80. Sometimes they just came together right.

As similar as they may be, regardless of model or year, I simply must lay hands on a Tele to decide if it's one I want to own.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.